Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 one off custom Hammer. I have only 1200 miles on my bike, but my rear pads are shot. I think I have a sticking piston.

So a couple questions, one...can someone give me a play by play on how to change the rear pads, ie what screws are what?

Second, How do I stop that rear piston from sticking and staying closed slightly?

You can email me the info if you want.

[email protected]

Thanks a ton.

Josh

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brakes 2006 hammer

It is a one off...but still the stock brakes. Brembo on the front and rear.

I mean sticking ie...there is a slight rub, like the piston is engaged...which made my stock pads run out already...and I can slightly hear it now that I know there is a problem when slowing down.

It is never enough to slow the bike down, which is why I didn't notice it. But my local shop (who wont service victories) here in Hawaii said they are rubbing. The pads now are metal to metal, which I had no idea to even look for until I just had a 260 rear put on there and they told me about it.

When you look at the rear pads, and can see it is almost like they are always slightly engaged. I know I need to change the pads, which I dont know how to do. But I also want to fix the problem so it doesnt persist.

I know there are two bolts holding the caliper on, but I am not sure which onces they are, and how to get them off. I dont see any that have a screw or anything in it. Also, is it possible to take the pads out without removing the caliper? I just basically need a step by step on how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. There are no dealers over here, and no one that will fix my bike period due to liability not being a dealer and all. Thanks for the reply.

Josh

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
It is a one off...but still the stock brakes. Brembo on the front and rear.

I mean sticking ie...there is a slight rub, like the piston is engaged...which made my stock pads run out already...and I can slightly hear it now that I know there is a problem when slowing down.

It is never enough to slow the bike down, which is why I didn't notice it. But my local shop (who wont service victories) here in Hawaii said they are rubbing. The pads now are metal to metal, which I had no idea to even look for until I just had a 260 rear put on there and they told me about it.

When you look at the rear pads, and can see it is almost like they are always slightly engaged. I know I need to change the pads, which I dont know how to do. But I also want to fix the problem so it doesnt persist.

I know there are two bolts holding the caliper on, but I am not sure which onces they are, and how to get them off. I dont see any that have a screw or anything in it. Also, is it possible to take the pads out without removing the caliper? I just basically need a step by step on how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. There are no dealers over here, and no one that will fix my bike period due to liability not being a dealer and all. Thanks for the reply.

Josh
If it's the OEM Brembo rear. To change them out...All you have to do is spread your pads apart away from the rotor...enough to fit the replacement pads. Remove pin clip from pin, tap the pin out with fine tip punch and hammer. slide pin out the rest of the way.
Pull old pads up and towards the front of your bike. Should come out with no problem. Then insert new pads, re-insert pin, tap back in place to seat it back in. replace the pin clip and start pumping your brake pedal till it grips.

As for the caliper sticking......most pads look like the are on the rotors all the time, but don't think they actually create enough friction to harm anything. If yours are actually engaged, you should remove the caliper and rebuild it or have it rebuilt. Parts were hard to find for the calipers, not sure about availability now.
Call the people at www.QTMI.com and see if they have them. They are a Brembo Dealer.
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Most likely there is nothing at all wrong with the caliper, but the adjustment of the master may be off. Also the original pads are pretty much famous for being shot by 3K miles. Replace them with a set from a Vic Touring Cruiser, and they will last closer to 10K, or better. When you look at the new pads though; you may think they came wore out from the factory. They are pretty thin right out of the box

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.