Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
First off, I posted here cuz I have an XC, but not sure if this really belongs here or general....

I took a trip up around Lake Superior. Lots of areas where don't see a car, house, or people for miles. Beautiful trip...highly recommended.

Ended up getting a rear flat on the way back. Luckily, I was right by a wayside station and pulled over. Couldn't use my phone cuz no service. Another rider came by after about an hour and shadowed me to the next town. Got a plug kit from the gas station and plugged it. Rode home over 400 miles on the plug....never went much over 70.

So...long story short...I lucked out. Could have been much worse.

Heres my questions...

What do you guys do when you get a flat in the mid of nowhere? Its weird that I never thought of that, but I didn't. Do you just carry a plug kit with you? Call AAA? Call insurance? (if you have service). Pray for the best?
Let me know what your emergency plan is.

Also, how long am I okay to ride on the plug? I got 400 miles on it and didn't seem to lose any air. What are my options? Get a new tire? Professionally plugged? Leave it for now?
My tires have just over 5k and Im usually not too loaded up or have a rider, so they are in very good shape.

I know these are pretty basic questions, but Im a relatively new rider (2 years) and I just want to get my ducks in a row before I take another trip.

Please chime in with any advice.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts

·
13,263 Posts
I think you did what most of us would of done. You have plenty of room to put a plug kit in the saddle bag.
Definitely get a new tire

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I carry a small slime compressor and a plug kit at all times , barely takes any space and can get you out of a jamb FAST !

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
I have tubes I carry fix a flat it's all I know to do.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
I think you did what most of us would of done. You have plenty of room to put a plug kit in the saddle bag.
Definitely get a new tire
I carry a small slime compressor and a plug kit at all times , barely takes any space and can get you out of a jamb FAST !
I also put in Ride On, don't know if it will work but its in there...:)

·
Registered
784 Posts
I carry a plug kit and compressor. As for how long it will last, well,,,,,,,,,,,How old is the tire? What sort of carcass damage done riding it flat?, Does the repair have a good hold and plenty to hold to?, how confident are you on the repair?

If it were pretty new, I'd not have a problem riding it to the end of it's life. I would replace it if it were even close to half done, had to be moved while flat, or the hold didn't feel right to me.

Since you are asking, rode it flat, and only have 2 wheels, get a new shoe. Had you been able to repair it right then and the carcass of the tire were good, and the repair in the tread portion not angling to the side walls, then I'd say you were good.

You have to answer all that for you, and since you are asking and have more than just one question to the condition, I would get it replaced. I also did just that a couple of weeks ago because of the age of the tire. The plug kit gets you to civilization. The rest is up to you.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I do the same as others mentioned, a small slime compressor and several plugs. Depending on where the tire was plugged will determine on whether I replace the tire or not. If I had to plug a front tire I would most likely replace it, but thats just me.

My rear tire is a run flat car tire and with that I can go about 50 mile at 50 mph with no air and not have a issue, plugging a run flat car tire can be a bit of work but can be done. The last one I plugged I used a motorcycle ratchet strap around the wheel and ratcheted the plug into the tire. With bad shoulders and back I had to come up with that in a hurry before a ride and since it worked so good I keep one ratchet strap in my saddle bag also.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I also carry the Stop n' Go plug kit.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have a plug kit in the saddlebag that's a holdover from my previous long distance ride. Kinda worthless on my XR cause it's got tubes so I really need to get some fix-a-flat or similar. The debate on plug vs. replace will rage on as long as the oil debate does but generally ona streetbike I have no problem riding with a tire that has been patched (not plugged). Plugs i trust only as long as I have to in order to get the tire patched. Anything more aggressive than street riding, the tire gets replaced just for peace of mind (and usually patched, then mounted to a different, street only bike)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I carry some of the string plugs and a small compressor. I am also a member of the RRDB, Rescue Riders Database, a list of Victory riders around the country willing to help stranded riders.

Another benefit of membership.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
TUBELESS PUNCTURE PILOT for Motorcycles, already paid for itself!

http://www.stopngo.com/tubeless-puncture-pilot-for-motorcycles-scooters-atvs/
got the exact one. Plugged a bike tire and rode another 4K miles till wear bars with no problem. Also plugged a tire on my wife's Jeep G.C. (but didn't use the mini compressor to air it). 6K miles later and the tire still holds air steady.
I have the Victory accessory tray in my right saddlebag, and the kit fits perfect under it. Doesn't get in the way at all.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A few years back I picked up a very small hole from a screw that barely punctured through a brand new Michelin Commander II. The hole was human hair small...I would get one bubble every 3 to 4 seconds...I was bummed to say the least.

Had the tire been half worn I would have replaced it but I decided to poll some old time riders. The general consensus was plug the rear if near the center and replace any front tire with a puncture.

Because the hole was so small I figured a standard plug kit would do more damage. I thought about pulling the tire and grinding in a patch and melting it in place, as I had done on cars for years.

Then I ran into the Dynaplug. The plugs are very small and have a brass pointed end that literally anchors itself on the inside.

http://www.dynaplug.com/

It worked like a charm and I got to finish the tire, saving me a good bit of money.

So I now keep the dyna plug kit in my rack bag and along with a CO2 (like used in bb guns) tire kit, typical for ATV riders to have. I over fill the tire and then let the air out to the correct PSI (when on the road)

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Kiss-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000IQEAMA[/ame]

That is my .02 cent and recent experience, hope it helps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I keep a plug kit and CO 2 cartridges on hand. The CO 2's will give you enough air til you can get to an air compressor. I've gone over 2,000 miles with a plugged rear tire on two separate occasions with no issues.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I have the Stop & Go kit, too (the parts purchased separately over the years, but it winds up being the exact same thing).

For practice, I drilled a hole in the tread of a car tire about a dozen years ago, and put one of the Stop & Go mushroom plugs in. I was getting new tires in a couple of weeks -- worked fine. Knock on wood, haven't had to do this on a bike yet, but I've been carrying their mushroom plugs for about 18 years now, along with assorted brands of compressors (now Stop & Go). (Our tires are too large to rely on CO2 cartridges, and what if you still have a slow leak, and anyway a compressor isn't that much more room than a bunch of cartridges.)

I also pay the AMA dues automatically by credit card, so I have their towing/help service. Used that once so far... but not for towing or repair, but for when I ran out of gas (long, stupid, story). I also pony up $12 a year on my Safeco ins. policy, so I actually have two roadside-assistance choices.

Regarding the decision of fixing or replacing a plugged tire, no expertise or experience in that area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Replace the tire at your earliest convenience. I had a new Avon Cobra tire. Picked up a nail. Stopped at nearest air. Inflated tire, made it out of the mountains & got the tire plugged. Rode several hundred miles before going on a 3,600 mile trip. On top of Bear Tooth Pass, Montana had a flat, in the rain, in the mud. A friend had a compressor & plugs. 5 plugs later finally made it to Cody, Wy. Next morning found the only tire that would fit, got it mounted &$480 later was on my way. Moral of the story. Replace the tire. Get a Stop & Go compressor-plug kit. Never leave home without it

·
Registered
1,709 Posts

I have the slime compressor and that stopngo plug kit. I have a plug in my rear tire that has been in there for over 6000 miles. Still not losing any air, and I inspect the plug every so often. I plan on running it for the life of the tire at this point.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ya know...reading through this thread, I decided to go on Amazon and get the Stop & Go kit....50 bucks...if I never need it fine...but if it saves my ass on a ride...money well spent thumb up

1 - 20 of 30 Posts