Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When removing the rear frame loop for the 300 tire mod, has anyone had any problems or noticed any issues with that mod. Are there any negatives to cutting it off? I would like to cut it off and lower the bike so the tire wont rub. When I first lowered the bike it rubbed on the loop so I put the stock links back on.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All the riders that have done this mod are really quiet on this topic. No feedback. Does that mean its all good cutting off the loop, no issues after its done? I just want to be sure before i perform the surgery.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Buzz , most of the guys cut straight up and down directly in front of where the loop is welded to the frame .... Actually cutting the frame rail itself , this is how I will be doing mine also .

·
Registered
190 Posts
I cut mine off of my 2012 hammer 8 ball - put pics on here to prove it. No effect to the ride or anything else. More clearance for the 300 side walls. Those frame rails are beefy enough to exist without that loop

thumb up

Search my name, you;ll see pics of my 300 install

·
Registered
459 Posts
What's the max one can lower a 300-tired bike?

1.5"?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Mine is 1.5" and I can not go any lower. I also cannot take a passenger. :D

later
Could you take a passenger if not lowered 1.5" ? I want to do this mod soon , but not if I cant take the ol'lady anymore ...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Mags I am curious on this also...as soon as I can I will test that out and let you know
Thanks G , having Momma on the back is a big part of my riding pleasure ..... :ltr:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm a bit confused.

a 300/35-18 tire is the same height as a 250/40-18 tire.

Why would lowering on a 300 have any more issues than on a stock height tire?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I'm a bit confused.

When parked, it doesn't. The issue starts when the bike starts moving. As the tire gets loaded, at higher gyrations, its diameter at the center grows, while it's width slightly shrinks. The wider the tire, the taller it grows.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm a bit confused.

There are two issues with lowering a Hammer.
1. The wiring harness that runs down the underside of the rear fender needs to be moved or there is a possibility of the tire bottoming out on it and ripping the wires. This can happen with any size tire when lowering the bike.
2. The rear fender frame loop that connects the two sides of the rear frame curves over in an arc from one side to the other. The wider 300 tire will rub on the loop with the sides of the 300 tire when lowered. Thats why the loop needs to be cut off and the wiring harness moved to the side if you are planning to install a 300 tire and lower the bike.
cheers

·
Registered
459 Posts
There are two issues with lowering a Hammer.
1. The wiring harness that runs down the underside of the rear fender needs to be moved or there is a possibility of the tire bottoming out on it and ripping the wires. This can happen with any size tire when lowering the bike.
2. The rear fender frame loop that connects the two sides of the rear frame curves over in an arc from one side to the other. The wider 300 tire will rub on the loop with the sides of the 300 tire when lowered. Thats why the loop needs to be cut off and the wiring harness moved to the side if you are planning to install a 300 tire and lower the bike.
cheers
Okay, but once the loop is cut, how is lowering on a 300 any worse than lowering on a 250 if both tires are the same height?

But I guess the 300 grows taller than the 250 as it gets heated??? How much taller?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts