Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dam rear head gasket frekn leaking oil. is there a fix besides removing head etc. dam gaskets are approx 40 or so for 1 not to include labor.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Maybe you've overfilled the oil and it's blow-by dripping down the rear cylinder.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe you've overfilled the oil and it's blow-by dripping down the rear cylinder.
it is a def leak between the fins of rear cylinder wear the head connects.on the left side as you set on bike. oil level is where it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would pull the valve cover and re-torque the head first. I’m not sure if you can remove the cover without separating the backbone, however. But it’s not hard to do, it just takes time and patience. There is a torquing procedure in the manual.

·
13,172 Posts
psychodiablo
after starting your bike hold your hand on rear cylinder. You feel the heat now move the hand up to head. When you feel that getting warm you can ride. Do not rev motor while your waiting it will do no good

·
Registered
476 Posts
Unless you have put cams in it recently,even if you haven’t, I would bet money the valve cover is loose.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Head Gasket on a Vic is extremely unusual., All the Biker Tweekers 'round here say the ain't never seed dat afore....
i can see a def leak on the left side where the leak is between the head and lower part of engine. just on the left rear.the valvecover was fine and the crankcase line was good to.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless you have put cams in it recently,even if you haven’t, I would bet money the valve cover is loose.
nope it was all good. a dark brown to almost black line was on the lower area where the head connects to lower part.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
476 Posts
2012’s had a bunch of heads that were porous. They weaped oil. If this bikes owner didn’t go get them replaced you won’t be able to stop it without replacement. My advice, just clean it. If the head gasket was leaking compression your leg would be on fire when that cylinder fired. Sorry.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2012’s had a bunch of heads that were porous. They weaped oil. If this bikes owner didn’t go get them replaced you won’t be able to stop it without replacement. My advice, just clean it. If the head gasket was leaking compression your leg would be on fire when that cylinder fired. Sorry.
the prev owner let it set for quite a while before i got it. it did only have 1600 miles on it when i brought it home. now it has a lil over 27000.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm think'n if Compression is good an Bike is running good, well kinda end of story...to a point. Dirty/Oily deposits...just wipe it off now an then. However, IF it be bugg'n the crap outta ya install better Heads....As far as pics, take 'em with a Camera, load 'em to yer Photos and add 'em to yer next reply using the Paper Clip symbol.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it was bad enough to the point of oil all over under tank and top of both valve covers. i have washed it.if it happens again i will try to take pics and fig how to post them. what about switching from full synth to either reg dino or a synth blend. i have been running nothing but mobile 1 full synth 20/50.

·
13,172 Posts
psychodiablo
switching oil will not stop the leak. Get a manual and tools and do it your self it is not hard. Just take pitchers and go slow. Keep all distraction out of the shop

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i could fuk up a steel bowling ball in a sand box. im not that mech inclined to do that much.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts