Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the seat off the 2014 XC today to add a seat bracket for the new back rest I got. When the seat was off I could see where an inner fender liner had been rubbing on the rear tire and it looks like it messed it up. (see arrows in photo):eek

I looked through the service manual and didn't see this plastic liner mentioned or illustrated then I did a google search and got nada.

Anybody know if this is a replaceable part and is it required, meaning will something get messed up if it's not there? If not available is there something that can be fashioned to take its place.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Depending on what they get for one, you may repair it. I was looking at a Vision a fellow had for sale on Craigs List. His estimate on "only needs $1500 in repairs" is off a little. I did a search for parts it needed, fairing pieces, turn signal inner fairing part etc. Parts alone were gonna be at least that. Then add in labor (even if I could do work myself you have to add to price of work) and your probably looking at 2500 bucks.
I guess what I am long wind-idly getting at is some of the Victory parts have went crazy since the execution of Victory.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
How did tire touch that? :O

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I kind of wondered that too. I put a 60 series on mine and I was hitting the swing arm. Maybe its lowered?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did tire touch that? :O
I'm not sure how it happened, it's just one of the things I found while checking out the bike and installing a backrest bracket.
The bike does have 2 new tires. I was wondering if something happened with the old tire or if the piece got knocked loose during the tire change.

I've had the bike going on 3 weeks now, so I've changed the oil and filter, Rotela T6 and a Bosch filter, added a backrest and I think this weekend I'm going to pull the cowl to see if I can determine what is rattling/vibrating. After that I need to replace the windshield so it will push the air about 4 inches higher so my brain can stop being rattled.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
My bike had a rattle/banging whenever it hit a sharp bump. Turned out to be loose steering head bearings. I tightened them and it went away. I have since upgraded to all tapered rollers and that even improved the handling. How, I do not know, but it did.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My bike had a rattle/banging whenever it hit a sharp bump. Turned out to be loose steering head bearings. I tightened them and it went away. I have since upgraded to all tapered rollers and that even improved the handling. How, I do not know, but it did.
When I bump the cowl on the left side with my fist I seem to get the rattle from the right side in the speaker area. I think it my be pretty easy to find when I pull the cowl but who knows??? Sometimes the rattles mysteriously disappear when you go searching for them. They're kinda like gremlins.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Does it have the bad boy air horn installed under the fairing? Mine did and when I first bought it occasionally mine would get a rattle. First time I pulled fairing front off I just looked around and poked. Found the horn was making contact with bits.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does it have the bad boy air horn installed under the fairing? Mine did and when I first bought it occasionally mine would get a rattle. First time I pulled fairing front off I just looked around and poked. Found the horn was making contact with bits.
It's got a stock horn. A little later today I'll pull the fairing and look for loose bits.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I Found the Rattle!
When I pulled the fairing I could see the speaker boxes were a little loose, just enough to rattle on every bump.
Took care of both of them and all seems good now.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well I Found the Rattle!
When I pulled the fairing I could see the speaker boxes were a little loose, just enough to rattle on every bump.
Took care of both of them and all seems good now.
Those boxes are worthless. I removed them because they kept coming loose and that rattle is very annoying.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Those boxes are worthless. I removed them because they kept coming loose and that rattle is very annoying.
My original CCT speaker boxes never rattled at all. They were installed nice and tight. The Victory Extreme Audio Fairing kit I installed has much larger speaker boxes. They also don't rattle or cause any issue at all. If the speaker enclosures are properly installed, they won't rattle or be the cause of any issue.If need be, Blue Locktight is your friend with these.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My original CCT speaker boxes never rattled at all. They were installed nice and tight. The Victory Extreme Audio Fairing kit I installed has much larger speaker boxes. They also don't rattle or cause any issue at all. If the speaker enclosures are properly installed, they won't rattle or be the cause of any issue.If need be, Blue Locktight is your friend with these.
All of the nut insert things messed up. I bought the bike with the left speaker just loose flopping around.

Maybe you the original owner and didn't mess them up. I kept one of them and the other speaker is held on with nuts and bolts. Better sound from the side without the box.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
If its plastic of any kind, NO locktite. The locktite will eat/melt the plastic. A dab of RTV will hold the screws and be detrimental to plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
The plastic speaker boxes on mine have metal inserts for the mounting screws which is why I suggested Blue Locktite.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Ah OK. But be super careful with loctite anywhere near ABS plastic. It is Kryptonite. LOL

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I pulled the seat off the 2014 XC today to add a seat bracket for the new back rest I got. When the seat was off I could see where an inner fender liner had been rubbing on the rear tire and it looks like it messed it up. (see arrows in photo):eek

I looked through the service manual and didn't see this plastic liner mentioned or illustrated then I did a google search and got nada.

Anybody know if this is a replaceable part and is it required, meaning will something get messed up if it's not there? If not available is there something that can be fashioned to take its place.
It's replaceable and I have a new one that I bought a couple of years ago and never used. I sold the old bike without putting it on. I'll sell it to you for $20 plus shipping. PM me if you want it.

It's really just a mud guard and isn't necessary if you don't mind things getting really dirty under there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts