Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to find a solution for a rear luggage rack. Everything is stock so far and I have the lock and ride backrest installed. I want to keep the back rest installed, and the rack is to put a bag on when the GF wants to go on a trip as well. Anyone have a good solution?

I was looking at this, but was told it will not work.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/179-361

Why would it not work if I took out the bolts for the lock and ride system, put the rack in place, then put the bolts back in? I realize it will not mount ON the lock and ride system like the back rest does.

·
12,984 Posts
on facebook there is ( victory buy and sell) there is a couple there

·
Registered
780 Posts
I've been trying to find a solution for a rear luggage rack. Everything is stock so far and I have the lock and ride backrest installed. I want to keep the back rest installed, and the rack is to put a bag on when the GF wants to go on a trip as well. Anyone have a good solution?

BDD Custom Black 8-Ball Luggage Rack for 2-Up Seats | 179-361 | J&P Cycles

Why would it not work if I took out the bolts for the lock and ride system, put the rack in place, then put the bolts back in? I realize it will not mount ON the lock and ride system like the back rest does.
The rack arms look like they would alter the spacing of the mounting spools. (spread them out) thus the OEM backrest would no longer align in the slots properly.

I had a knee jerk thought.. Those spools are comprised of a dozen or more various spacers, washers that make up the 2 slots for the backrest and bags. what if you could monkey around with the stacking order of these parts (like change the location of a spacer or possibly fabricate one) and possibly move the backrest slots back into an acceptable position after the rack was installed? Hell- it MIGHT be as simple as trimming off enough of an existing spacer to offset the added rack arm thickness..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
on facebook there is ( victory buy and sell) there is a couple there
Thanks I'll take a look.

BDD Custom Black 8-Ball Luggage Rack for 2-Up Seats | 179-361 | J&P Cycles

The rack arms look like they would alter the spacing of the mounting spools. (spread them out) thus the OEM backrest would no longer align in the slots properly.

I had a knee jerk thought.. Those spools are comprised of a dozen or more various spacers, washers that make up the 2 slots for the backrest and bags. what if you could monkey around with the stacking order of these parts (like change the location of a spacer or possibly fabricate one) and possibly move the backrest slots back into an acceptable position after the rack was installed? Hell- it MIGHT be as simple as trimming off enough of an existing spacer to offset the added rack arm thickness..
That's what I was thinking. As long as the bolt holes line up I could remove/add spacers or a couple washers to get the back rest lined up with the extra space the bracket for the rack takes up. Just need to find someone that takes returns if it doesn't.

They make one with a back rest built in but it's $150 MORE and I already have one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I went ahead and ordered it. I'll post my findings after the *hopefully* install.

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So good news. It does work. All I had to do was remove a spacer (see pics). However, because of the big rubber boots on the locking mechanism it won't squeeze between the seat and the rack arms. I can partially lock it, but not fully. I may grind off the very top part so the lever is flat and will slide in between. Even in the position it is in now I tried as hard as I could to lift or wiggle it off and it didn't budge. But it's a pretty looking rack! Now to find some LEDs for the skull eyes...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts