Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered a pump/gauge that will let me quickly and easily (may be subjective) add or release pressure from the rear shock as needed. For my weight, riding solo I'll need it around 30 or 31 PSI, and if I add the wife I'll need to go right to the max of 72 PSI. Two questions:

1) Would I be better off actually changing the air pressure each time, leaving it at the higher pressure regardless of if it's just me or the both of us, or finding some middle ground and leaving it there?

2) Should I really go all the way up to the max of 72 PSI or keep it lower, around 70, to be on the safe side? The book seems to be pretty adamant about not going over 72.

Rob
2013 Victory Vision Tour
Bought 4/25/15 with 1534 miles

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Hmmm , I run 25 LBS in mine for 2 up and 15 LBS solo ... I ride solo much more then 2 up , sometimes I don't even bother to bump up the pressure . I weigh 205 .

·
Registered
247 Posts
I ride 2-up most of the time.
Run between 30-35.
On long trips fully loaded its bumped up to 45.
Might need to experiment a little to see what suits you best.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I've ordered a pump/gauge that will let me quickly and easily (may be subjective) add or release pressure from the rear shock as needed. For my weight, riding solo I'll need it around 30 or 31 PSI, and if I add the wife I'll need to go right to the max of 72 PSI. Two questions:

1) Would I be better off actually changing the air pressure each time, leaving it at the higher pressure regardless of if it's just me or the both of us, or finding some middle ground and leaving it there?

2) Should I really go all the way up to the max of 72 PSI or keep it lower, around 70, to be on the safe side? The book seems to be pretty adamant about not going over 72.

Rob
2013 Victory Vision Tour
Bought 4/25/15 with 1534 miles
Well, I have an XCT, not a Vision, and I don't really know squat about the Vision suspensions.

That said, the figures seem to be what the owner's manual say for the Cross bikes.

And THAT said, I don't go by them. I usually ride 30 - 35 PSI for me, and do most of my riding solo. And I'm 200+ pounds. If my wife gets on, and it's not a multi-day trip, I usually leave the shock at that. If we're going for a significant trip, however, I'll pump it up to around 40.

We've tried higher pressures, two-up, and 50, for example, is just too harsh, is our experience. I'm not saying that we never bottom out at, say, 40 PSI, but it's very rare. The tradeoff with higher pressures is just riding all the rest of the time with too much jarring.

Exec summary: IMHO if you leave the shock set at 72, either solo or two-up, I think you'll find it too harsh (unless you're doing a two-up track day). I think you should experiment with much lower pressures.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I ride 2-up most of the time.
Run between 30-35.
On long trips fully loaded its bumped up to 45.
Might need to experiment a little to see what suits you best.
Good luck.
What is there, an echo in here? You beat me to it, because I was, as usual, wordier, and so was typing while you were posting.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I run what the factory recommends......figure they have a little more R & D invested than I.

:rolleyes:
Same here, about 10psi solo and 35psi 2 two up

·
13,177 Posts
me or me and girlfriend 40 psi. The only time I bump it up is were loaded in a trip. were around 340
Some days when its 40 or 50 degrees out the ride is stiff on some choppy roads but make a turn on to different road and the ride changes

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
What is there, an echo in here? You beat me to it, because I was, as usual, wordier, and so was typing while you were posting.
Bill , you going to put up with that ????:ltr:

·
Registered
168 Posts
The gauges on pumps are not the most accurate. My pump is correct at 40psi as checked with a digital gauge. At 10psi on the pump the digital reads 20psi.
On my crossroads I ended up at a true 17 solo and 40 2 up. Anything higher and it feels harsh.
Keep in mind the crossroads is lighter, No fairing or trunk.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great info; thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your input. A little more information about me and the wife; I will be riding back and forth to work during the week, so solo for me. This is interstate driving, about 35 minutes each way. I weigh 2... well, let's just say the chart has me right at 30 PSI if I go by it, and the two of us together are over 425.

The previous owner was just a little bitty thing (who couldn't handle this big a bike, thankfully, and is why I got it at such a great deal) and apparently had very little air in the shock. I got it up to 30 PSI this morning, and the wife and I rode around and the difference is quite noticable. I will experiment with other settings, both solo and two-up, to find where we're most comfortable.

Thanks again for all the input guys!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've tried every setting on the saddlebag chart and found that for our combined weight, 50 psi is comfortable for both. First time I tried that pressure with both of us on the bike, the wife said the ride was perfect. It's a tad harsh for my weekly commute solo to work but I live with it, preferring to not adjust it back and forth.
I guess I am echoing what others are saying. Try different pressures until you find what works. Plus - you have to go for a ride each time you adjust to see if it's right! Bonus.

2014 CCT
Stock for now
Central Illinois

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I go by the chart and then add 10lbs to it. I ride mainly curvy roads and tend to drag parts if the rear pressure is too low. I am constantly going between riding solo and 2up so I recently relocated my air hose where I can get to it without dealing with that finicky side cover.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts