Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
* * *Whats the general concensus. *Are people adjusting rear shock preload according to measurement in mannual or are you guys adjusting stiffer for performance? *
* I'm riding now with about 3/4" more ground clearance than manual recommends. *Will I se much difference if I make the adjustment?
Thanks*

·
Registered
537 Posts
I go by the owners manual. I have a piece of angle iron cut JUST under the highest setting. I put painters tape on it and place it under proper spot on frame. sit on bike and adjust shock where it barely touches when loaded with my weight. Then if I go camping at a rally, it drops to JUST above the lowest measurement with the added weight of my gear. That way it always stays in the "sweet spot" operating range of the shock. Always worked great for me.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
on my 13 hammer with a similar if not the same cheap shock i found a penske to be a solution. very easy to adj the preload on the bike unlike the OE shock. bike rode very hard with OE setup but much better with the penske. thats saying a lot as the OE 250-40 only looks good but rides hard!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I adjusted my preload yesterday. I'm 180lbs. In order to get the recommended ground clearance I had to almost totally back off adjustment nut. Backed it off 7-turns. Only just enough thread left for the lock nut. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I adjusted my preload yesterday. I'm 180lbs. In order to get the recommended ground clearance I had to almost totally back off adjustment nut. Backed it off 7-turns. Only just enough thread left for the lock nut. Is this normal?
Dont sound like it to me...
I measure nothing, just wound it down harder two full turns, rode pretty much the same, not noticeably harder, still bottoms the sides of the rear 180 tyre up inside the rear fender on extreme bumps two-up.
Gonna try winding her down another two turns next time I'm over at Burleigh Bars as the owner there has the correct spanners.
No matter what the ground clearance is theyre gonna scrape

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
OE compromizes

suspensions can't work for everyone due to different weights + riding preferences. the bean counters step in as well, quality suspension is costly for sure. only way is if its built for YOU or as my Bitubo's on my bonneville, they have 3, i believe weight setups off the shelf + with quality parts hit it well. if your comfortable with your ride at that adjustment thats fine, otherwise save some bucks + get a built for YOU Penske shock. well worth it especially if your keeping the bike a while. some tires help as well as dunlops + bridgestones are said to be harder riding compared to others

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not complaining about the ride. It is a little softer now. I mostly do 1-up. Just wonder if for a 180 lbs rider it's normal to be so near the adjustment limit to be within spec on ground clearance?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Remember that you want to preload a spring no more than 30-40% of it's length. More preload and you're going to screw up the ride as the spring won't be able to do its job properly. If you need to crank the preload down more than 30-40% you need a heavier spring (more spring rate).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts