Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My back has been bothering me more now. Going to make a couple of phone calls and talk to some people for advise on the spring for my Penske replacement shock that I installed on my CrossRoads a while back. I will probably try a softer spring on it again. My wife hardly ever rides with me now because her back bothers her. So I am going to try the lighter rated spring and see how that goes. If it still does not ride smooth enough I am considering the "Arnott" air shock. The system looks nice and sounds nice according to their web site they advertise on here. Now the problem is it is a lot of $$$$ for there product. I know if you want to play you have to pay. So worse case is if the liter rated spring does not work I can go for the air suspension air shock from them. The positive is it is cheaper than a new or new used bike and I get to ride my Victory without pain[hopefully]. The bad thing is the high cost. I would have to charge it on the plastic. The other option is I could gamble run down to the salvage yard and try to make a shock work off another bike. Also I could by a new Victory shock, which is a gamble as to how long it would last, or buy a used Victory shock that may be worn out when I get it. So the big question is has anybody on the site bought and used the "Arnott" shock for our X bikes? If you have bought one what do you think of the system and how many miles have you rode it. Would you buy it again?

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Do you still have the OEM shock? If not, take offs can be found for $200. I've read a lot of comments that those high priced aftermarket shocks give a very stiff / hard ride. Going back to OEM might be the ticket and a cheaper one at that.

·
Registered
321 Posts
When I need to replace my shock I am going with the Progressive spring shock. I think they work a lot better than air. Just my .02
* I have a bad back also and real relief can be had with a riders back rest. I got mine from Grasshopper and it is built well and works great for the $$.

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
I had one OEM air shock go bad in just 6 months now this replacement is slowly losing air. It won't be good enough to use for two up much longer so I know the stock air shocks are junk.

I like the idea of going with a softer spring AND getting a backrest like the Grasshopper which is probably the least expensive way to go about it. Yep; I too have a bad back.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shocking

The Progressive shocks are not made for the Xbikes, or I may have bought one of those to begin with. I even contacted Hagon before the Penske purchase, same thing Hagon does NOT make one for the Victorys. Probably go with the softer spring. Back has really been bugging me lately. December is an expensive month of course. Most everything seems to keep going up in price. So I am going to talk to another company that sells the springs maybe after the first of the year. If I can get the new spring for a descent price I will more than likely try that. If I had another form of transportation maybe I would toy with finding a different shock at a salvage yard, but I can not have the bike down for long. So the new spring will be the way I think. Wish these bikes had old fashion dual springs on the swing arm, much simpler to change out and cheaper (sometimes).

·
Registered
321 Posts
" Wish these bikes had old fashion dual springs on the swing arm, much simpler to change out and cheaper (sometimes).
Yup, NEWer is not always a better way....

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
If you have a Cross bike and can get the wheels off the ground, its easy to get to and remove the shock. Granted, not as easy as duals.

·
13,002 Posts
I don't know where you could find a softer spring. You could take your shock a part and replace the spring thats in it. Yes this is a shock out of our bikes

Attachments

·
9 Posts
A bit more info on Arnott's Victory Shock Kit

In 1972 Torsten Hallman created the first single shock rear suspension (for Yamaha). Since then many manufacturers have gone in that direction because of the excellent ride and extended travel. H-D® has even incorporated it into the 2018 redesigned Softail. They wanted to maintain the iconic hard tail look but upgrade that bike's suspension and handling to be more like the now discontinued Dyna. Arnott improved that by adding a FOX® damper and an adjustable air spring providing even more shock travel.

To me our 2012 Victory Cross Country test bike with Arnott's adjustable air shock is one of the finest suspensions I've had the pleasure of riding on.
Our Indian outshines others too. As a matter of fact a couple of weeks ago I spent the entire day riding with a passenger for a photo shoot (photo below) and both she and I loved the ride.

The key is that you can adjust the firmness of the air spring for any road or load "on the fly" using our onboard compressor and handlebar mounted switch. You also get more travel from the shock for parking. While the retail price is US$1,099 there is a lot of technology there. Compressor, switch, electronics, FOX shock, Goodyear air bladder and more. Plus it comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty for as long as you own the bike and a 30 day money back guarantee. The kit will reduce painful bumps, enable you to ride longer, lower the bike for easier parking and provide a more pleasurable ride for your passenger who can't see or brace themselves for bumps.

Forum members can use code BIKESAVE10 to save 10%* off the retail prices on Arnott® adjustable air suspension products for motorcycles. You can place your order online at the Arnott Web Store or by calling Arnott Customer Support at 1-877-900-0247 (or 321-868-3016 X 138) Mon – Friday from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM ET. Orders placed by 2:30 ET are typically shipped out the same day.

* Not valid with any other offer or on shipping and taxes (if any).

More info: Victory Bagger & Touring - Air Suspensions | Arnott® Cycles

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
While I can appreciate your review I would love to see some "independent " reviews.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
In 1972 Torsten Hallman created the first single shock rear suspension (for Yamaha). Since then many manufacturers have gone in that direction because of the excellent ride and extended travel. H-D® has even incorporated it into the 2018 redesigned Softail. They wanted to maintain the iconic hard tail look but upgrade that bike's suspension and handling to be more like the now discontinued Dyna. Arnott improved that by adding a FOX® damper and an adjustable air spring providing even more shock travel.

To me our 2012 Victory Cross Country test bike with Arnott's adjustable air shock is one of the finest suspensions I've had the pleasure of riding on. You can see me on that bike in this promo video at around :28 sec - the smile is not forced ; - ) Our Indian outshines others too. As a matter of fact a couple of weeks ago I spent the entire day riding with a passenger for a photo shoot (photo below) and both she and I loved the ride.

The key is that you can adjust the firmness of the air spring for any road or load "on the fly" using our onboard compressor and handlebar mounted switch. You also get more travel from the shock for parking. While the retail price is US$1,099 there is a lot of technology there. Compressor, switch, electronics, FOX shock, Goodyear air bladder and more. Plus it comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty for as long as you own the bike and a 30 day money back guarantee. The kit will reduce painful bumps, enable you to ride longer, lower the bike for easier parking and provide a more pleasurable ride for your passenger who can't see or brace themselves for bumps.

Forum members can use code BIKESAVE10 to save 10%* off the retail prices on Arnott® adjustable air suspension products for motorcycles. You can place your order online at the Arnott Web Store or by calling Arnott Customer Support at 1-877-900-0247 (or 321-868-3016 X 138) Mon – Friday from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM ET. Orders placed by 2:30 ET are typically shipped out the same day.

* Not valid with any other offer or on shipping and taxes (if any).

More info: Victory Bagger & Touring - Air Suspensions | Arnott® Cycles
Vincent ....check out the rear suspension on a Vincent.

·
Registered
742 Posts
While I can appreciate your review I would love to see some "independent " reviews.
And I nominate Dirty Dan as a cat who would make an excellent independent reviewer in exchange certain considerations. Hell, if he doesn't step up I will, you're welcome:) (PM me for shipping address hehe) But seriously, I did want to step in and thank Arnott for even continuing to make and support systems for our orphaned bikes while so many manufacturers have turned their backs on us. Personally I don't have a lot of complaints about the X bikes stock suspension but I am keenly interested in height adjustment for that slammed look without having to sacrifice ride quality, then being able to flip a switch and load up heavy for a highway trip. Some day when my money comes in I'll be taking a good long look at these systems......

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I accept the nomination. there should be more thatn one though. Please be aware I'm not trying to beat up on Arrnott but it seams that they are the only ones pushing their product.

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
Well, after much thought and reading a lot of these threads on the OEM shocks going bad so often and how the Penske and Racetech are the only non-air shock shocks; I put in an order for a Penske. The second OEM air shock on my XC has gone bad. When I switch it out with the Penske I'll see about rebuilding it but I have no idea where to get new seals for it. I guess I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it.

I strongly considered one of the optional air shocks with onboard compressor but didn't see anything about the shock being guaranteed against leakage for more than 12 months. Maybe I missed it. There's also the complexity of installing the shock, compressor, and switch. Some even have air reservoirs to install adding to the complexity.

The Penske has one downfall assuming it works as good as folks say; it's supposed to have the oil/nitrogen changed by a professional rebuilder every 40k miles or so. For guys like Depot Picker that might be more maintenance than they want to go through at $175 per rebuild. For me though; I doubt I will put 40k more miles on this XC since I ride two bikes and don't do a lot of touring these days. That might change though.

·
13,002 Posts
Bbob
there was a guy here this summer that told about taking the shock a part. That's how I got the photos. From the photos it looks more like o-rings.
He had to make a tool to take shock apart and then grind the weld off the end

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts