Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my pin with 18,000 miles on it , these pictures are AFTER I polished the **** out of it . It is not round anymore in the shiny sections and divots and roughness can be felt . When I dissembled the pivot there was hardly any grease visible . I ordered a new pin today for 24.00 , I figure why risk it . The needle bearings pass the visual and feel test . This pin should be made of hardened steel and not soft Chinese crap .
IMG_3762.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

IMG_3764.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

IMG_3766.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Whauw .... Not round,
good you ordered a new one ... Safety first hey

My front tire fork pin was corroded too, same as you cleaned it, greased it, and painted the end part that comes our of the fork ...

Terrible quality I'll say ...

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I'm under the assumption that those should be lubed anytime that the rear tire is removed, such as a tire change. A good waterproof grease and I mix in a bit of moly as well will help hold the wear down. The last one I saw did not have much grease in it from the factory.

Chances are that pin is not hardened steel, but a high carbon steel alloyed with some nickel. While you have it in your hand grab a strong magnet and see how well the magnet sticks, if it sticks good, low nickel, if it doesn't, high nickel content. That pin is under a lot of stress, like the whole rear of the motorcycle and you AND the stress it does see is in shear, the most destructive stress. That's not to mention the rotational stress it sees. Hardened steel is very brittle and doesn't hold up well to shear stresses. If it's hardened steel IMO that's a mistake.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mags, I just serviced my pin also with the rear tire change. Similar to yours it shows some wear, you could feel it with your finger nail but I didn't notice that it was out of round. There was a bit of moly on the pin and the needle bearing felt good. I wiped out as much of the old moly as I could and lubed the bearing up real well with a high wax grease, this bearing is not subject to any speed so a grease that will not squeeze out should work fine. The pin slipped back in effortlessly.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Mine did not look anything like that MAGS...and I have 26k miles on it. I've never had the rear apart(until yesterday) but all the rear suspension joints looked well lubed, nothing was dry...I refreshed the lube with Valvoline moly and put it all back together.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this was all due to lack of grease , like I said there was barely any visible grease . I thoroughly cleaned the needle bearing and full inspection , they seem fine . I will grease the **** out of these when I re-assemble it with a quality grease . I will service this every off season from here on in .

The marks on the pin were impregnated into the surface of the pin , hard to tell in the pictures but I was afraid the pin and needle bearings may end up binding on the divots and ultimately having the pin turn inside of the frame as the suspension works thus ruining my frame . This happened to Joe here on the forum and his bike was down for months .

25 bucks and a 3 day wait for the pin seems like an inexpensive fix , for an otherwise catastrophe if this issue goes unnoticed .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'd rather have this pin wear out instead of the needle bearings. The pin is much easier to replace.
No doubt , but 18000 isn't a lot of miles and the pin should go longer then that IMO . I recommend you guys that can wrench yourselves check your rockers for grease and wear on the pin at least yearly , I figure the guys that have a shop do a tire change would check this , but would they ?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
No doubt , but 18000 isn't a lot of miles and the pin should go longer then that IMO . I recommend you guys that can wrench yourselves check your rockers for grease and wear on the pin at least yearly , I figure the guys that have a shop do a tire change would check this , but would they ?
I doubt it, Mags. How much extra work is involved in checking and possibly replacing this pin, during a tire change? I ask, because you got me thinking that maybe I should ask to have it checked out, the next time I get new tires put on ... and am wondering what I should expect in terms of extra cost and extra time.

Of course, if I were to have it checked, I should probably have ordered a new pin and bring it with me. What's the liklihood that a Vic dealer would have a pin on the shelf?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm thinking the same as wsp. Can somebody post a parts fiche diagram showing where said pin and needle bearings are?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bill
The extra work to get the pin out is minimal once you drop the swing arm from the shock and lowering link. pull the plastic inner fender, a bolt from under the seat and its out. I would guess a shop would charge an additional hour to remove and reinstall a new one, if they clean and grease the needle bearings I would think that's another 30 minutes.
I agree with Mags, I'll add this to my "change the tire" maintenance, it's pretty straight forward.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill
The extra work to get the pin out is minimal once you drop the swing arm from the shock and lowering link. pull the plastic inner fender, a bolt from under the seat and its out. I would guess a shop would charge an additional hour to remove and reinstall a new one, if they clean and grease the needle bearings I would think that's another 30 minutes.
I agree with Mags, I'll add this to my "change the tire" maintenance, it's pretty straight forward.
I agree , minimal amount of extra work . Problem with the pin is if it binds up on the rocker bearings it will start rotating in the frame , this is extremely BAD ! I feel mine would have certainly done this over this upcoming season , had I not inspected it , the factory is extremely greedy in applying grease to this much needed area .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ask, because you got me thinking that maybe I should ask to have it checked out, the next time I get new tires put on ... and am wondering what I should expect in terms of extra cost and extra time.

Of course, if I were to have it checked, I should probably have ordered a new pin and bring it with me. What's the liklihood that a Vic dealer would have a pin on the shelf?
Bill , my dealer is one of the biggest on the planet , and they had to order me the pin . I highly recommend a full inspection and grease job , ASAP . Just so you guys know , if it gets bad and you end up needing a new rocker too its 400.00 !:eek:

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Attachments

·
12,983 Posts

·
12,983 Posts
Mags
maybe someone where you work knows of a place that could check hardness of the pin. Maybe even have it re harden.
If the needle bearings are leaving the marks then the steel of the bearings is harder then the pin. So the pin should be harder. I don't think grease is the issue. No matter what kind you use its the bearings or the pin
I have only read of one pin failure

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes VJ , it looks like the needle bearings ground right into the pin . Seems to me the pin should definitely be harder then it is ... I have the new pin coming but will hold on to the old one just in case .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While we are on the subject , do any of you guys lube the spherical bearings ? The manual does not specifically say to lube them but a light coating of grease or Teflon oil couldn't hurt IMO .... I cleaned mine out thoroughly with brake cleaner and they look like new , hate to put it back together with nothing on it ...

1 - 20 of 194 Posts