Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a progressive rear shock, can you give me some opinions? I don't mind paying for performance, but I don't like flushing money down the water closest. Seems like every shock is the'best' shock. I'd like to hear from guys who are in the know, or have them on their rides. Love to hear the pros and the cons:ride:

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Thinking of getting a progressive rear shock, can you give me some opinions? I don't mind paying for performance, but I don't like flushing money down the water closest. Seems like every shock is the'best' shock. I'd like to hear from guys who are in the know, or have them on their rides. Love to hear the pros and the cons:ride:
I bought a used Progressive with 10,000 kms in it off a fellow Aussie forum member who went to a full air system.
The Progressive is Fantastic!
Waaay better than stock!
You can spend more on a Penske shock as they are even better with even more adjustability I hear.
Theres members here who run Penske shocks thatll tell you more, but for my budget and Vegas the Progressive shock is
Just great!
Both are good, just one is more expensive.
If money is no object go the Penske.
For mere mortals go the Progressive.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a 465 on my KP and it is night and day from stock. No more sharp hits to the spine. It was worth every penny I paid for it. That Penske and CL is a great deal and could probably be had for the same price as a new Progressive. Regardless, you will not be flushing your money down the drain with a new shock. They are rebuildable and will last the life of the bike and then some.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts

Just... JUST installed 465. Replaced what I believe was original shock on '06 Vegas thus 15K worth of wear on orig. Have less than a 100 miles on the replacement.

I left the new shock on the recommended middle setting 3.

I notice a slightly busier ride over small road imperfections, not exactly equivalent to a sporty ride in a car, but not problematic. I notice much improved control over very large road imperfections- very large heaves and dips. So, I think the compression is stiffer and the rebound is much better than the orig, which may have worn.

All in all, a pretty hefty price tag for my DD which sees routine rather than sporty driving. Of course, it may improve with break-in and further dialing-in.

I opted for non-lowered shock paired with my inverted hammer forks.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Just... JUST installed 465. Replaced what I believe was original shock on '06 Vegas thus 15K worth of break in. Have less than a 100 miles on it.

I left the new shock on the recommended middle setting 3.

I notice a slightly busier ride over small road imperfections, not exactly equivalent to a sporty ride in a car, but not problematic. I notice much improved control over very large road imperfections- very large heaves and dips. So, I think the compression is stiffer and the rebound is much better than the orig, which may have worn.

All in all, a pretty hefty price tag for my DD which sees routine rather than sporty driving. Of course, it may improve with break-in and further dialing-in.

I opted for non-lowered shock paired with my inverted hammer forks.
Did you adjust the main coil spring for sag(ride height)
That controls your compression damping.
The Allen setting on bottom is rebound damping.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I bought a used Progressive with 10,000 kms in it off a fellow Aussie forum member who went to a full air system.
The Progressive is Fantastic!
Waaay better than stock!
You can spend more on a Penske shock as they are even better with even more adjustability I hear.
Theres members here who run Penske shocks thatll tell you more, but for my budget and Vegas the Progressive shock is
Just great!
Both are good, just one is more expensive.
If money is no object go the Penske.
For mere mortals go the Progressive.
100% concur with MBX- I also have the Progressive rear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts