Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is measuring from the rim to the swingarm accurate when aligning the rear tire? My rear tire seems to be cupping on the sides of the tread. I do ride pretty aggressive.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,973 Posts
40 p.s.i. for cupping probably not alignment but..... I try to get the belt to track the center of the pully then give up because it's nearly impossible so just get is as good as you can that's how I align the rear tire.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
There is a pretty descriptive procedure in the manual to align your rear wheel. It works for me. I would explain it but it will be easier to see the manual. it has some illustrations and and step by step

·
Registered
545 Posts
As Vindex said... cupping is about air pressure not alignment. I have always run a MCT at max psi cold and have never had a cupping problem. One of my riding buddies likes to run at about 5 lbs less than max and always has a cupping problem and spends hours aligning his rear wheel trying to get rid of it... some old dogs are incapable of changing habits and understanding the new technologies.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
My rear tire with 6k miles on it is also cupping pretty bad. I have always kept my pressure at the recommended psi but starting at the end of last season I bumped my pressure up to 43 psi and I hope that will keep it from getting worse.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I check the pressure regularly and its always good. Bumped up to 42 psi this season. But still cupped. Maybe I'll just go to the dark side sooner.

·
Registered
545 Posts
There is the recommended tire pressure as listed in the manual... wrong! is all I can say about that. Maybe they are trying to sell more tires and labor...

Then there is the max psi printed on the side of the tire... that's the one!!! Keep them there cold... check before each ride with a good gauge... it's cheaper than replacing tires all the time. Even if you go darkside, you have to keep check the psi, however the CT is more forgiving.

Once they start to cup... forget about it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Every vehicle has the manufacturers recommended tire pressure on the Vin tag. Ours is on the left side of the neck.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Every vehicle has the manufacturers recommended tire pressure on the Vin tag. Ours is on the left side of the neck.
Every tire has a max psi cold rating on the tire... that's the one to use. The manufacturers tire pressure on the vin tag is too low for most usage and they know it, but put it there because it's the law and is the "average" psi to protect them against liability. Use the tire's manufacturers guideline.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every tire has a max psi cold rating on the tire... that's the one to use. The manufacturers tire pressure on the vin tag is too low for most usage and they know it, but put it there because it's the law and is the "average" psi to protect them against liability. Use the tire's manufacturers guideline.
I've been raises around cars all my life, my dad has worked in a dealership all his life, went to school to be a mechanic, and worked in a dealership for a few years, and I have never heard that. The tires on my truck show a max of 65 and at 40 I can see the center tread ballooning.
I disagree.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tire pressure is one component of your handling/ride quality. The recommended tire pressure is based on the OEM size tires and the typical rider/use. I usually vary my tire pressure as my tires wear. Generally though I keep mine at the manufacturers recommended inflation. A little less wears the outside and more the center of the tread.

·
13,003 Posts
Check air you do when tire is over night cold and using a gage is best.
For your rear tire the number one thing is having the drive belt in the right place. The tire will be fine.
Cupping there is no right answer or wrong answer. To soft a rubber to low air pressure bad made tire and to many right hand turns or left ones the list goes on.
I think cupping comes from the fact the tire does not have more groves in it. The tires we have way to many smooth squares but then we need them for traction.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've been raises around cars all my life, my dad has worked in a dealership all his life, went to school to be a mechanic, and worked in a dealership for a few years, and I have never heard that. The tires on my truck show a max of 65 and at 40 I can see the center tread ballooning.
I disagree.
CT's and TT's tires are completely different animals from MCT's when it comes to what pressure to run at...

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
worm im with you on the car tire thing, middle is wearing, run less psi, etc. but with bike tires its still similar, but you will always wear the center first .

my question, what tire are you running? dunlop? or other my dunlop cupped on me also i ran the tires recommended max psi , chalked it up to pos dunlop tire.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts