Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Cross Country w/multiple adaptations
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a new rear tire (stock showing cord at 10k). I know I'll have to remove the rear pulley to dismount/mount the rear tire. question is SHOULD I get new pulley bolts? Are the pulley bolts inclined to shearing like the HD ones? Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
why would you have to take the pulley off to put a tire on? i'm new to vics but have never seen anyone take the pulley off a harley to put a tire on and the vic looks pretty much the same set up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pulley removal

why would you have to take the pulley off to put a tire on? i'm new to vics but have never seen anyone take the pulley off a harley to put a tire on and the vic looks pretty much the same set up.
2 different techs I spoke to tell me that the Vic pulley is too big for their tire machine...hence the pulley removal. I do not know if they are full of S^%&, or not since I have not replaced a rear tire yet.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
2 different techs I spoke to tell me that the Vic pulley is too big for their tire machine...hence the pulley removal. I do not know if they are full of S^%&, or not since I have not replaced a rear tire yet.
Mine got replaced at a local (not the most local, but local enough) dealer. They did not take the pulley off - either the techs you spoke with are trying to make more money, either they're using Flintstones equipment, and their main dinosaur is sick. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pulley bolts

Mine got replaced at a local (not the most local, but local enough) dealer. They did not take the pulley off - either the techs you spoke with are trying to make more money, either they're using Flintstones equipment, and their main dinosaur is sick. :)
Thanx...okay, IF one needed to remove a pulley, COULD the sprocket/pulley bolts be reused ? OR are they torque to yield? I'd like to not have an HD incident and have the pulley bolts shear IF I re-use them.

Opinions and any technical knowledge appreciated! Has anyone even heard of Vic pulley bolts shearing as on the HDs?

Or am I throwing away good money as others have already suggested?

Had an incident with an old car that lost a front tire at 70mph due to re-using hardware. After removing the seat cushion from my ass...I vowed to always check to see if the bolts are actually re-useable OR torque to yield.

Thanx

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Thanx...okay, IF one needed to remove a pulley, COULD the sprocket/pulley bolts be reused ? OR are they torque to yield? I'd like to not have an HD incident and have the pulley bolts shear IF I re-use them.

Opinions and any technical knowledge appreciated! Has anyone even heard of Vic pulley bolts shearing as on the HDs?

Or am I throwing away good money as others have already suggested?

Had an incident with an old car that lost a front tire at 70mph due to re-using hardware. After removing the seat cushion from my ass...I vowed to always check to see if the bolts are actually re-useable OR torque to yield.

Thanx
If the bolts come off, it cannot be a bad idea to replace them.

Take a peak at this thread: http://www.victoryforums.com/archive/index.php/t-6587.html - you might find it useful. ;)

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
5 screws... cost 20 bux- i think i would change them.
Yeah! Besides, they could shear in time, even if they're never removed. Might as well replace them when you have the opportunity, and reduce your chance of failure in the future. Better safe than sorry.

That being said, if you end up replacing the tire without removing the pulley, I would leave them alone. ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pully bolts

Yeah...good call...$25 insurance beats finding out the hard way. now just have to wait for Kate to get back to me on costs. going with Avon Cobras front and rear, and Dynabeads!

Oh well...the kids don't need any Xmas presents.

:ltr:

They laugh, but none of them realize the cost of keeping their vihicles running/driving cuz I take care of it for them.

Son is getting a full brake job on his truck...daughter is getting oil pan gasket, and a new battery!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've been re-using mine for several tire changes now. No issues to report.

It is HIGHLY unlikely you could even get them anyway as is the case with Victory parts. So re-use them.

They sell bikes, but they dont supply parts for them. Pathetic company.

jb

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Wow, I have NEVER had to remove a pulley for a tire change!

I've removed and transplanted pulleys when swapping out wheels though, and ended up re-using the bolts. Same for the disc rotors. But, the book does say to replace them. Your call.

And... 10k and showing cords seems like awfully low mileage. I've been averaging 16-17 thousand miles on my rear E3's and still had some tread left. The trick is to keep the minimum cold tire pressure at 41psi !!!

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I use a manual tire machine. It requires the pulley come off. I have always just re-locktited and reinstalled with existing hardware. They look just fine after 7 tire changes... If I'm not breaking them, I doubt you will.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wow, I have NEVER had to remove a pulley for a tire change!
Yea its a pain.......A limitation of the tire changer I use. It can be done with the pulley intact but its quite a bit easier with it removed. Especially with the 180 on the rear of the Pin which is a bit of a battle to put on.

jb

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
It is HIGHLY unlikely you could even get them anyway as is the case with Victory parts. So re-use them.
They sell bikes, but they dont supply parts for them. Pathetic company.
Funny, my dealer has had almost everything I ever needed in stock. When I order parts they arrive in just a few days. I just bought all the grommets for both side covers and the right cheese wedge, all the metal clips for both cheese wedges, and all the rubber parts involved in swapping the fuel pump to a new gas tank... everything was in stock at the dealer. Voltage regulator was in stock, but I ordered the stator and had it in 3 days.

·
13,247 Posts
Most if not all tire machines do not really handles the Vic pulleys. There is a dollar bill Clarence. You have to look at the edge of the pulley you'll see it did make contact with the machine jaws.
I would think re using the bolts would be ok. Clean them good and use red lock tight.
Think of it this way if dealer had bolts in stock then they put in new bolts if they do not have bolts in stock then they don't use new ones.

H-D bolts would walk out cause no lock tight was used or it was a aftermarket rim.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Most if not all tire machines do not really handles the Vic pulleys...
I don't know about most (cannot comment due to lack of knowledge), but for sure not all, as my dealer did it in front of me (replaced rear tire) with the pulley attached the whole time. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
I would pull the rotor and reuse the bolts on it long before I would reuse the bolts on the pulley. Once the bolts are stretched when torqued; that's it. They are no longer as strong as they once were. For those who are reusing them over and over; cool man but I think that is more luck than anything else.

Did they say why they couldn't just turn the wheel over and pull the rotor instead of the pulley?

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
I do not know what the big deal is.. If it was bolts on a car head, I would say yes get new bolts. You do not get new lug nuts when you change your tire on your truck or car. And the stretching a pecker goes through, you do not get a new pecker. Or wish we could..:ltr::ltr::ltr:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bolts ordered

Bolts ordered thru Kate...$20 w/s&h. Will not reuse the old pulley ones. locktited them as recommended. Now if the rain will let up so I can break in the new tires.thumb up

1 - 20 of 21 Posts