Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 06 vegas with a stock chrome swing arm. I have a 180 rear tire and wondering how big i can go with out changing the swing arm. Some people have told me i could fit a 200 with the stock swing arm and rim.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My dealer told me that a 200 is the biggest size on a stock swingarm but not great if you do 2 up riding. I guess the tire rubs with the added weight. I thought about doing it to my bike but I had a chance to see one done and I have to be honest...... didn't think that it looked much different the the 180. That's my .02.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Wow... there are many documented pitfalls to putting a 200 tire on the stock rims. Can't believe this question still comes up. In a nutshell, it's a mistake.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just because you can squeeze the tire on the rim,doesn't mean it's a good thing.Look at it this way,just because a fat chick can get in to a mini skirt,should she????:crzy: You'll be much better off sticking with the 180. If you want a fat tire,go with a full blown 250 conversion.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Just because you can squeeze the tire on the rim,doesn't mean it's a good thing.Look at it this way,just because a fat chick can get in to a mini skirt,should she????:crzy: You'll be much better off sticking with the 180. If you want a fat tire,go with a full blown 250 conversion.

Exactly! Unless you don't mind the tire growth at speed ripping out your wiring harness and wobble/handling issues... it looks phat sitting at the local bar though, so if that's all you care about, go for it.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
There are no conversion kits. You have to buy the parts seperately. Do a search and you will find threads covering this

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have learned through my life a simple plain truth........If it ain't broken don't fix it....Going to a 200 instead of a 180 is probably not going to look much (if any) different...why take the chance of mucking (I didn't say what I was thinking) up a nice bike...? LOL

·
Registered
211 Posts
Paul's right, besides, a 180 handles better...:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
avon

had 200 avon on my 08 vegas seen no differance in look tire was higher. now i have 250 tire and swingarm love itthumb up

·
Registered
142 Posts
On wed,after 20,000 miles of running Metzlers,I'm having a Pirelli Night Dragon installed.I had an issue with the last Metz I had on the front.Switched to the Pirelli(in the front) about 5,000 miles ago with no isues.So now its time for the back,so I'll let you know how it is after I get some miles on it.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Ok I can live with the 180. What tire do you recomend? I like the looks of the Dunlop Elite3, but I haven't found it in the 180.
Guess you missed all the threads about how great the D407 (HD exclusive) is on these bikes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am new to the forum and a new rider at 55. I searched for thread s on tires but didn't see that one. Searching for tires I did see a the D407 and I also saw some not so great reviews. I bought the bike in May with just under 10000 miles. the front tire has already been replaced with the Elite3 i believe in the correct size. I am traveling right now and do not have access to the bike but the rear tire is a Dunlop. I was looking at Metzeler ME 880. There were a lot of good reviews on it. Thanks for the input I will check out the D407's

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I am new to the forum and a new rider at 55. I searched for thread s on tires but didn't see that one. Searching for tires I did see a the D407 and I also saw some not so great reviews. I bought the bike in May with just under 10000 miles. the front tire has already been replaced with the Elite3 i believe in the correct size. I am traveling right now and do not have access to the bike but the rear tire is a Dunlop. I was looking at Metzeler ME 880. There were a lot of good reviews on it. Thanks for the input I will check out the D407's
Is your front E3 a bias ply or radial ? They come in both flavors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to wait until I get home to check. I am not sure. Can you put a radial tire on the front with a bias tire on the rear? The reason I ask is the rear tire is the original tire that came on the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
I have to wait until I get home to check. I am not sure. Can you put a radial tire on the front with a bias tire on the rear? The reason I ask is the rear tire is the original tire that came on the bike.
I would do bias front and rear.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts