Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which rear tire did you get the most life out of.
I run motorcycle rear tires on the front wheel of my sidecar. Been running a brigstone battleax BT45R was thinking of trying an E4 if it is available in that size.

Sidecars don't lean and they crab more sideways than front on at higher speed. (freeway cruising) making for limited tire life because of the scuffing involved. Time for another tire soon. Looking for long life suggestions.
Life is short enough with a good tire that cost is secondary. Besides it isn't that big of a tire.

This is in the lounge because the sidecar is on a honda not a Vic. Just obeying forum regs.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
22K on an original Dunlop Elite back when they first came out and that was mostly two up and a much younger Ricz road burner. But I do second your E4 decision Joe. I am no fan of darksiding, but on a sidecar, its excusable IMO.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm hard in tires only getting 10-12K no matter the brand. I have some E4s on one biker now so we'll see if I do better.

I'm with @RICZ. I don't run darkside in my bikes but if I had a sidecar I think I would give it a serious look.

What do you do with this bike and sidecar, something special? Throw up a pic.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
IMG_2339.jpg Here is a pic. We use it same as any bike. It's nice because we can share the driving. It's more fun to ride in the car than it is to drive and it is a kick to drive.

·
Registered
694 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I'm on my 2nd. The first one only had a couple thousand miles on it (damned nails).

·
12,983 Posts
look for a touring tire they last longer. Continental or Pirelli. Maybe even a rear tire might give you longer life on the sidecar. Maybe look at a GW forum and see what they run for sidecar tires

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That EML is the ticket but 40K plus a proper bike out of my price range.
I seriously considered building a front end based on what they have myself but my health went TU about 10 yrs ago and I am just now getting some of those projects that I was in the middle of when it happened finished up. Won't be starting any new projects till after I'm dead. LOL

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I am in awe what the numbers you guys are trowing on the table regarding tire life, and even more amaizing is most of you are talking in MILES .... how is this possible ... Ok my completely stock CCT i did do about 10 k kilometers on the tires and they will last much longer as my jackpot as that thing just eats tires .... Must be the darn ABS crap on that CCT that saves the tires .... Hmmmmmm

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I am in awe what the numbers you guys are trowing on the table regarding tire life, and even more amaizing is most of you are talking in MILES .... how is this possible ... Ok my completely stock CCT i did do about 10 k kilometers on the tires and they will last much longer as my jackpot as that thing just eats tires .... Must be the darn ABS crap on that CCT that saves the tires .... Hmmmmmm

Andre using TaPaTaLk
I'm pretty certain the cause is a combination of road surface temperature and road surface roughness.

All motorcycle tires slip to grip. You get about ten percent slippage on the average if I remember correctly.
When it is slipping the roughness of the surface that it slips against effects how fast it wears.
You can take steps to make it slip less and wear less. Making the bike heavier decreases the amount of slip.

If you eat at MC Donalds every day and super size your meals you'll probably save money on tires. You'll probably spend more on new riding clothing than you save though.

Maybe a better solution is just to throw a passenger on the back. Being big and having a big passenger saves you even more. When shopping for a passenger always weigh them first and select the heaviest one.:wink
She will thank you!

Since tires slip as a part of going forward a rough road surface causes them to wear at a faster rate. If you live where I am up in WA at the moment they seal coat the roads each year. (spray tar down then cover that with crush stone) This because the carbide tipped spikes on the car and light truck snow tires remove 1/2 of an inch of asphalt over the course of the winters on theses highways and it is a cheap effective way to restore the road.
That makes the finished roads like a cheese grater unfortunately . My tires wear pretty quick here compared to AZ for instance.

Down in AZ they don't use studded snow tires in the flat lands and often the roads have a polished appearance because with no snow and frost heaving they last a lot longer. My tires last noticeably longer down there when on those smoother roads.

Tire/road surface temperature plays a roll also. A few years ago I put a car snow tire on the rear of the side car rig to see how I liked car tires on it. It was cold in WA state when I did it and the tire wore reasonably slowly. A month later we were driving in Arizona where it was 60 degrees F warmer. You could watch the tire get smaller ride by ride. The rides weren't that long either.

Being a snow tire it was designed to be flexible in sub zero weather and when the temps were in the 80's F it wore very quickly even though the roads where much smoother. I'm sure the same applies to motorcycle tires though their expected temperature range of operation is shifted higher than a snow tire. But tire temperature definitely plays a roll in tire wear. Hotter being softer tire being less miles.

If you live in the right part of the country here with the right roads and weather, and if you carry a passenger all the time your tires will wear much better just from that.

The sidecar bikes rear tire has 30% less weight on it because the sidecar wheel carries that weight.
It also has 2x the aero resistance at 65 mph of the 1500 GW does alone. The rear wheel slip is off the charts because of this. in fact we use that to help the rig be more stable in corners. We add a little front brake and then spin the rear tire by giving it more gas which cause the bike to drift sideways at the back and makes the bike into a better triangle so it dosen't want to roll over as easily in tighter corners. The rear tire life on that bike with an MC tire would be 5000 miles or less.

That makes a car tire a necessity unless you want to change rear tires constantly.
Even with the snow tire car tire on it, we ended up changing it at 8,000 miles. Though it could have gone 1000 more till it was bald maybe. If we hadn't taken it to a hotter climate maybe another 1000 miles.

Maybe since the women are small in your part of the world you need to take two with you when you ride??? Maybe not LOL 1 can be difficult enough.

In your case it is hot there and your passenger probably doesn't weigh much. You might also be riding solo a lot. All contributing factors to less tire life. . Don't know if your roads are smooth or rough but that figures in also.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
I am in awe what the numbers you guys are throwing on the table regarding tire life
Using the ultra-sticky Bridgestone radials I average around 8500 miles out of a rear tire and the front lasts thru 2 rears. Considering my riding style and the power being transferred to the ground, I would say that's pretty good.

I am in need of a rear tire pretty soon...

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Using the ultra-sticky Bridgestone radials I average around 8500 miles out of a rear tire and the front lasts thru 2 rears. Considering my riding style and the power being transferred to the ground, I would say that's pretty good.

I am in need of a rear tire pretty soon...
Now that is the numbers that make more sence to me, and i also always buy 2 rear and 1 front in 1 order ...

Hope i can find Bridgestone in singapore, now i use Metzlers, very good tires, but why not try your tires, maybe they work well for me too,

Thanks for the replies guys ... Really good info, also @Joe

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Now that is the numbers that make more sence to me, and i also always buy 2 rear and 1 front in 1 order ...

Hope i can find Bridgestone in singapore, now i use Metzlers, very good tires, but why not try your tires, maybe they work well for me too,

Thanks for the replies guys ... Really good info, also @Joe

Andre using TaPaTaLk
On a our vics and HD's we get about 10K if traveling and maybe little less if just short trips.
I believe my original E3 went 11?. I'm talking touring tires here nothing sticky. Continental tours, E3's ect. Two rears to each front also.

Sidecar as noted above is a tire eating machine. One of the only downsides to it. 10K out of a front which is actually a rear tire with the rotation backwards and pumped up to max tire pressure. Rear tires have more depth of tread and last longer. It would suck to put a regular front tire on it. Back tire is a car tire and I have been experimenting with them so no idea what average mileage is.

I am also impressed with some of the mileage people get on the highway. Wish I could get that much because I hate tire changes. Here In rural WA the road surface is so rough after seal coating that there isn't much you can really do to get more mileage except throw it on a trailer. I never carry a passenger so I get what I get. I get more than most of the people I ride with so I am comfortable with that.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I subscribe to ABM (anything but Metzelers).
Why ? If i may ask ? (i do nit like stuff from germany, but that has another reason , smile) first off on the moment this is the only tires i can find for my size tires, where i live..

Jack-hammer has a 240 rear and 160 front (reversed) both Metz

CCT has both Metz front & back

On both bikes i removed the Dunflops before they were "finished" coz my bikes were slidder & sliding all over the place on the Dunflops ...

But the CCT had tires of 2014 and i (present of my wife) bought it in 2017 ex stock showroom floor, and it was impossible to use these :[email protected]/* dunlops ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Why ? If i may ask ?
I hate the way they steer and handle, they absolutely suck in the rain, I hate that the more they wear the less they grip and the last 1/3 of their life you feel like you're skiing, I hate the high-speed instability, they don't last well and they are not exactly inexpensive. Worst tires I ever had on a motorcycle. YMMV

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I hate the way they steer and handle, they absolutely suck in the rain, I hate that the more they wear the less they grip and the last 1/3 of their life you feel like you're skiing, I hate the high-speed instability, they don't last well and they are not exactly inexpensive. Worst tires I ever had on a motorcycle. YMMV
Thanks, now i have even more reason to search different brands in singapore that fit my bikes ... Coz NO WAY i will ever put dunlops on my bikes .... Grrrrrr so hopefully Bridgestone or Avons are avaleble ... Not easy to find stuff

Thanks for the good info HC ... make me think about improving the bikes again ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts