Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Stock tire size is 180/55 18...anyone go wider with the stock setup? Pictures and any problems?
180 is plenty wide enough, dont see the point,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might now see the point but that doesn't help to be completely honest. I do see the point and I like wider tires, so I'm asking for anyone that has done wider tires. Thank you

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
You might now see the point but that doesn't help to be completely honest. I do see the point and I like wider tires, so I'm asking for anyone that has done wider tires. Thank you
No need to thank me for bumping your post up.
Victory make/ produce/engineer many and varied style of bike to suit a wide variety if tastes and styles.
Granted not everyone wants the same as everyone else, thats why many of us chose a Vic in the first place.
If I personally craved a wide rear Id choose a Jackpot or Hammer or HammerS as my starting point.
Its possible to engineer a Hammers rear into a Vegas but time and moneywise theres better cheaper alternatives.
You may be able to get a 190 or 200 in there but everythings gonna run awful close.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
didnt want a hammer or jackpot, I wanted a vegas 8 ball. And I don't need to go up to a 250. Merely wondering if anyone here is running a 200 on a vegas, and if there are any fitment issues.

·
Premium Member
13,186 Posts
I have read about people running a 200 wide tire but as MotoX said; it's tight. You will also bottom out under the fender easier. A 200 is about 3/4" wider than a 180. Roughly 1/3" wider on each side. Take a look at space between your tire and the belt to see if you have the clearance.

Let us know how it goes...

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
the 200 metzler and Dunlop 407 fit just fine ,the Dunlop 407 is a duai compound made for hd ,has Harley Davidson embossed on the side walls ive only done about 600 on mine so far but it feels fine on the road ..

·
Registered
102 Posts
If your rim is the newer 5.5" running a 200 will not be an issue. It was an issue with the 5" rim I believe 2010 and older models

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
the 200 metzler and Dunlop 407 fit just fine ,the Dunlop 407 is a duai compound made for hd ,has Harley Davidson embossed on the side walls ive only done about 600 on mine so far but it feels fine on the road ..
The D407 will last a LOOONG time my Harley Ultra had them and the D407 lasted 19,000 miles on that big heavy bike. The D408F front lasted almost 25,000.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't do burnouts or jack rabbit starts, I only get average 7000 miles out of a back tire! I`ve tried every brand out there. Here in Kansas tho, we run 75 to 80 mph all the time. Must be the reason

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have any pictures of your bike with that tire?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
unsprung weight

heavier bigger tyres + or wheels generally perform worse, that said you can usually go up or down a size on the same rim. metzlers are said to run smaller per size, radials want a wider rim than bias. look at Avon's tyre site for detailed specs + compare to yours, other tire manufacturers show specs but some are harder to find. i bought my 13 Hammer "in spite" of its heavy oversized tyre, went from a 250 dunrock to a lighter sporty profile 240 night dragon, what an improvement!! i would like to run a 200-55-17 same diameter as OE, but need ti find a reasonable priced set of rims that work with a 17 out back. beside the physical size the curvature of the contact patch matters as well, squarish tyres look wider + transition worse. try to get the same OD to keep the factory dynamics similar unless you want a change, higher rear quickens steering, lower adds stability at speed, good hunting on getting what YOU want!!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
In the UK there is very little above 180 available for the vegas 18" wheel anything above is only for sportbikes in a 17" fitment.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I put a Metzeler 200 on my 2006 Vegas and everything was fine until I reached 80 mph, then it began a subtle wobble that got gradually worse as the speed picked up. It looked great but after it wore out I went back to the 180.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put a Metzeler 200 on my 2006 Vegas and everything was fine until I reached 80 mph, then it began a subtle wobble that got gradually worse as the speed picked up. It looked great but after it wore out I went back to the 180.
Good information! Thank you! I got the lowering kit, think I'm going to put that on first and see if it makes me happy before going to the 200.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts