Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my wheel off to get a new tire on I have a service manual they say replace these bolts anyone doing this?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
my VW service manual said this almost always, asked the service guys + was told you just clean + locktite them, medium strength is usually the choice. stretch bolts must be replaced but are used sparingly in critical-special places. my 2013 Vic service manual says 70 ft lb in tightening in a star pattern, new bolts. look to see if threads are "dirty" a sign of factory threadlocker, your choice for sure! $3.53 ea @ victoryparts.net prolly same for all models

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will clean and locktite them.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I have my wheel off to get a new tire on I have a service manual they say replace these bolts anyone doing this?
Why remove the rear pulley to change a tyre???
No need to

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
Depends on the tire machine ... I chucked my rear wheel and spanners in the back of my car, coz i had the feeling i would have to remove the pulley and break disk ....

And i had too ...

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Depends on the tire machine ... I chucked my rear wheel and spanners in the back of my car, coz i had the feeling i would have to remove the pulley and break disk ....

And i had too ...
Oh ok, place that does mine has no problem handling wheel complete, so combined with my exhaust which negates sjock pivot bolt removal and the fact they know not to scree with my belt adjustment, makes tyre changing a breeze.
I drink coffee while they do all the work...töo easy:)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
On a different brand bike, I changed the rear brake rotor which was put on with bolts with factory locktite (white color). The service manual said to replace the bolts. I removed them, cleaned them with a brass wire brush, put removable loctite on them, and reused the same bolts.

Since the service manual said to use permanent loctite on these bolts, I suspected this was what was used in the factory. To reduce the chance of breaking off one of these bolts or rounding the bolt head, I put a propane torch on the head of each bolt for about 30 seconds to soften the factory loctite prior to removing each bolt. This worked like a champ. Each bolt came out easily without any breakage or head rounding.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are right no need to take anything off note to self too late for me but might help someone else But thanks for the info all is back in working order.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts