Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, a few weeks ago I took my 2014 CCT out or storage. I went through all the systems to make sure everything was up to par. ( Battery charged, tire pressures, shock pressure, brakes, etc...) Upon everything checking out I proceeded to go for a ride. As I took off, everytime that I would get in or out of the throttle upon acceleration or deceleration the rear end would whip a bit to the left as I accelerated and back to the right as I decelerated. I took it to my dealer where the mechanic rode it and said as I did that he had never felt anything like that. I rode it about 100 miles that day, and the more I rode it seemed to quit doing it. The next day the wife and I rode about 300 miles and it happened once right of way but no more after that. I rode about 600 miles with no issues thinking it had worked itself out. Fast forward, I was not able to ride for 11 days and took it out 2 days ago and it was doing it again. After about 15/30 miles if seemed to go away again. It is not a sustained feeling, only right when you roll on the gas , or out of the gas it whips a bit left and back to the right. Nothing was done to the bike for 5 months it just SAT in a building collecting dust. Has ANYONE ELSE experienced, or heard of something like this?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Do you have any type of tire sealant/balancer in the rear tire? Does the bike tires sit on concrete or some other type of hard flooring when stored?

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
If one direction change occurs when you accelerate and it changes again as you decel, sounds like the axle might have some play in it. Are the adjusters snugged up properly? Swing arm bearing play?
Put the bike on a lift - can you move the rear wheel side to side or front to back? How about the swing arm?
Worn wheel bearings?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There is no sealer or balance added, and it has always sat on concrete. I have Dunlop E3 tires with about 8,000 miles on them. I always watch my tire pressure so there's plenty of tire tread left. Belt tension is good and everything is tight. If it was a worn axle or wheel bearing why does it go away after riding it for awhile ? I will put it on my lift again and check everything out one more time. I for the life of me can't figure out how you can park a bike running perfectly in December, and 5 months later start that same bike and have an issue like this. PLEASE continue to throw ideas at me, I will check everything to get PEACE OF MIND. Thanks, Snojunkie

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
There is no sealer or balance added, and it has always sat on concrete.
I'd get the bike up on a lift and check the rear end/swingarm as @broggyr suggested. I'm very suspicious of the rear tire being damaged or faulted internally. Whatever you do, you should probably refrain from riding too many miles, especially with a passenger until this gets resolved.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
My brother-in-law had a very weird "ka-CHUNK-a-CHUNK" sound on his 2012 Fat Bob in his rear wheel that wasn't regular at all. Only happened during acceleration, and seemed intermittent. Turned out the bike ate the rear wheel bearing...

"ka-CHUNK-a-CHUNK"
and no, that's not his motor. :D :D :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
My brother-in-law had a very weird "ka-CHUNK-a-CHUNK" sound on his 2012 Fat Bob in his rear wheel that wasn't regular at all. Only happened during acceleration, and seemed intermittent. Turned out the bike ate the rear wheel bearing...

and no, that's not his motor. :D :D :D
If it was a ka chunk ka chunk...thats just a normal Vic transmission. Ignore it.

·
13,188 Posts
Am guessing the cords on the inside of the tire are bad. The more you ride the hotter the tire gets so the cords on the inside tighten up.
You might be able to find out easier then pulling wheel by putting in more air say make it 50 pound and see what you feel.
Next winter put tires on some wood like plywood. Cement does harm tires

·
Registered
291 Posts
Am guessing the cords on the inside of the tire are bad. The more you ride the hotter the tire gets so the cords on the inside tighten up.
You might be able to find out easier then pulling wheel by putting in more air say make it 50 pound and see what you feel.
I concur with this.:smile

Next winter put tires on some wood like plywood. Cement does harm tires
This, not so much :|
Please do expand on this, as I have never ever heard such a thing, nor have I ever had any issues with parking anything on concrete for extended periods (years)
Out in the yard on dirt or gravel, now thats another story and has nothing to do with harm to the tires (That is the least of your worries :eek).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So if I bump the tire pressure up to around 50PSI, you are saying it should straighten out the tire to the point where it wouldn't need as much time to warm up, and dissipate the wobbling faster. Then if that cures the problem , I just need to get a new tire? I'm thinking it has to be something simple because the bike ran perfect last fall and after I winterized it, it just sat still until now.I've been riding 45 Years and have never had something go to **** like this. Tlhanks again for all the help in trying to sort this out

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Broken tire belts can make any vehicle do strange feeling things. They can be difficult to detect too. If you put it up on the lift and go through all the other mechanical possibilities, I suggest removing the rear wheel, check out the bearings and if they are OK, replace the tire. What's your life worth? One thing I like about Avon tires is they have a replacement guarantee and I had to use it once - it works.
Without going into a dissertation about it, why not slip a piece of plywood under the tires? Nothing to lose and something to gain.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Without going into a dissertation about it, why not slip a piece of plywood under the tires? Nothing to lose and something to gain.
No dissertation, just a search for knowledge and a want to not share bad or pointless myths. I merely ask him to expand, so that if he has what I feel are valid points and wisdom, I can share that with others and not myths with no real solid scientific basis. :grin

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Check the bike out before riding it more. It's not worth getting hurt over. Tire is cheaper than a hospital bill if that is the problem.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Concrete can leach compounds out of tires stored on it without occasional movement. Ever notice a black spot on the concrete after moving a stored vehicle? That's the compounds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So here are my latest findings, yesterday I got a chance between rainstorms to test ride. First I took a short ride with the tire at 40 psi, bike wobbled, so I bumped the tire up to 60 psi bike wobbled much less, so I'm leaning towards putting a new set of tires on. I think I will go with the E4s.

·
13,188 Posts
going to 60 psi and it wiggled less I'm guessing bad tire. You should replace it. Ask the guy to look on the inside of the tire to see if he can see some bad spots. If so ask him to show you.

Yes concrete can leak moisture and cause tire deterioration. Now this is for over the winter storage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts