Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure I this is normal as I am still adjusting to the subtleties of the bike still.

In first gear around 8 mph if I am decelerating there is a rear whine coming from I am not sure where. Wanted to know if this is normal. I'm gonna have em check it out Saturday when I get my pipes put on just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol I was thinking that. Doing some reading sounds like its just being belt driven and the low speeds. So I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Hey Dri, that whine wouldn't be coming from the passenger seat, would it? =)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Dri, that whine wouldn't be coming from the passenger seat, would it? =)
Hilarious. I don't have a passenger seat. The wife doesn't wanna ride. I'm slowly breaking her down though.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I get the same thing on mine. I noticed in the parking lot right off the showroom floor a few weeks ago. I figured new belt breaking in...just ride. I asked them to check it out when I took it back to the dealer for the 500 mi inspection and they told me that it is belt noise and that it will get quieter after being fully broke in. When they said "quieter", I took that as it will always make some noise. Just like the motor and just like the tranny. These bikes are noisy but AWESOME! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya it does it but only at super low speeds so they said its normal with belt drive and no belt wear was present...I am not worried about it

·
Registered
470 Posts
my xr makes so much whirring, and clicking, i would never hear a whine at low speeds. going to get pipes just to drown out the whirring, clicking , and gear chatter.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
If it does it especially after you've been riding for 5 to 10 minutes, the belt tension could be too tight. I would check that first.

·
Registered
784 Posts
What Gunslinger said, I too am getting used to the new sounds. I have never had a bike with a belt, so it is all new. The woo, woo, woo at slow speeds drives me batty, but a belt adjustment helped a whole lot. It is still there, and I usually find it in either brake, but at least the belt is right now.
New sounds and feel, kind of reminds me of a 197? Ford, but they all have their quirks and sounds. My Royal Star used to sound like a bag of rocks was loose in the front bake pads, so if I could get used to that I think this will be OK.
Try to enjoy the new ride.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
The cross bikes and Vision especially need much looser belt tension than the steel framed bikes.

After you've been riding the bike and it's good and warm, pull over somewhere and check your belt. If it's tight as a drum, that's the noise you're hearing. It's not good on the wheel bearings either.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I mentioned on here already that I asked the dealer to look into mine during the 500mi service and that they told me it will get quieter after belt is fully broke in. I have 1,500 miles on it now. It didn't. I bought a belt tensioner gauge on Amazon for $23 and a motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight for $100 (I needed the lift for my lowering links anyway). I've noticed that since day one my belt tracked on one side of the pulley. Anyway, I raised the bike and loosened the axle nut and kept adjusting the rear wheel until the belt tracked in the middle of the pulley and I had 1/2" deflection at 10lbs. I'd take it for a test ride around the block between each adjustment until I got it adjusted right. You know what? The noise didn't just get quieter...it's gone! I have no more noise from the belt at all. I don't think my dealer adjusted it at all after I asked them to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts