Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I picked up a wrecked gunner with 215 miles on it and am rebuilding it. This is my first Victory and am impressed how well it is put together! I have been a sport bike rider and still have a 2002 Kawi ZX-9. I like what I have seen here are there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. I am changing the paint on it (not a huge fan of the flat look and it needs paint anyway), the pipes, and maybe a supercharger. Thank you for a great forum and I look forward to talking with many of you!

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Victory. You'll have to do a couple more posts to get past our spam detective and then you can post pics of your find. Progress reports with photos will hold our attention too. You might want to wait on that supercharger. If you stay tuned here, you will get many suggestions to improve performance that are far less costly and involved. Simple mods like Lloydz high flow air filter, adjustable timing wheel and some pipes will unleash up to 20% more oomph for little moolah. Try that before springing for that blower and good luck Eric.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I am just kicking around the blower. With it being a rebuilt, I have room for some fun. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,993 Posts
How bad was it wrecked? Frame ok? Any cracks in the engine anywhere? Front end? Wheels?

I bet the rider was bummed to crash his new Gunner before he even got to the first 500 mile service. Hope he lived.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paint and small bits mostly. The steering stop was cracked and one fork tube slightly bent which is why I think it was totaled. This is my first Victory. I'll post some pics as soon as I'm allowed.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Looking forward to watching the progression ....:ride:

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
All the wrecks I see advertised downunder are write offs and as such cant be registered without a new frame to clear the number.
Pity because some are only cosmetic though after my Prang I see the astronomical prices of parts over here is restrictive.

·
Premium Member
12,993 Posts
All the wrecks I see advertised downunder are write offs and as such cant be registered without a new frame to clear the number.
Pity because some are only cosmetic though after my Prang I see the astronomical prices of parts over here is restrictive.
Well, if you can find a wrecked one like yours, you would have a good supply of good used parts. Howabout the engine? Could you use one out of wrecked bike legally? If you planned on staying with the bike you have you could swap engines one day and rebuild the one wore out or broken.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Well, if you can find a wrecked one like yours, you would have a good supply of good used parts. Howabout the engine? Could you use one out of wrecked bike legally? If you planned on staying with the bike you have you could swap engines one day and rebuild the one wore out or broken.
Yeah Bob the engine can be reused, my bikes already almost fully repaired through my insurance , its just gotta go back when the headlight upper shell arrives and then theyll repaint the tank as well.
I really doubt a Victory can be 'wore out' given regular servicing.
I change oil and filters regularly every 5000 mile so would expect to get a few hundred thousand out of it before it needs rings.
But as its a 100 it'd be feasible to buy a wreck for the 106 sometime down the Victory road.
I live in the present and to the full and if I outlast my engine theres loads of low mileage engines out there as most people do a mere fraction of what I rack up, mine being longish rides too adds to the longevity of the engine...if I gotta go up the shop for milk I take my car so no short trips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here in the states if you have a frame with a valid VIN and title everything else on it can be changed. You can go to the manufacturer in most places to see if the engine has been changed out as they would have the engine serial number sold with the frame serial number (or the VIN). The biggest concern about any used bike would be to make sure that it is mechanically sound and properly maintained. If you're looking at bikes with any titles other than clean titles you need to check with your local authority to make sure that you can license it. There are some types of titles that you cannot relicense in some state and countries. These would be your proverbial parts machines.

This bike will have a Pennsylvania rebuild title when I'm finished. I think after this post I can post pictures so when I get to my computer this evening I will get some up for you guys. Thanks for following!

·
Registered
262 Posts
The damage doesn't look that bad at all. Are you going to replace the tank or repair it? You need to get that thing to Lloydz for that supercharger ASAP. That will be sweet

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Yeah not real bad at all!
though with the cost of parts.....well I dunno
In the USA its possibly a viable alternative

1 - 16 of 16 Posts