Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Isn't just replacing the plastic zip tie with a metal one? Big deal.

·
13,188 Posts
Safety Risk
VICTORY ENGINEERING HAS DETERMINED THAT, IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, SOME CROSS COUNTRY, CROSS COUNTRY TOUR, CROSS ROADS, MAGNUM AND HARD BALL MODELS MAY EXPERIENCE DAMAGE TO THE REAR BRAKE LINE. MOTORCYCLES EXPERIENCING PROLONGED MISFIRE CONDITIONS MAY PRODUCE INCREASED CATALYTIC CONVERTER TEMPERATURES CAUSING THE RETENTION CLIP SECURING THE REAR BRAKE LINE TO MELT. IN EXTREME CASES, THE RETENTION CLIP MAY MELT ONTO THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER, INCREASING THE RISK OF BRAKE LINE DAMAGE

Remedy
DEALERS TO REMOVE THE PANDUIT STRAP AND CLIP FROM THE LEFT-HAND PASSENGER FOOTREST SUPPORT AND REASSEMBLE WITH IMPROVED LINE ROUTING AND A NEWLY DESIGNED SWINGARM GUARD.

well we know now they are recalling 26 thousand bikes. So Vic's were selling pretty good

·
Registered
350 Posts
Somehow I got wind of that matter a couple months ago. Had it taken care of at a Polaris/Vic dealer while on a recent week-long outing back in September. Re-routed the brake line and put something (?) different between the line and where it makes contact with the swing arm. Quick fix - part on hand - no charge.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Hmm so if someone has say removed the CATS, you shouldnt have that issue right? Mine are still in, but just wondering. I have seen a couple pics of the fix. Probably easier for me to do it then take bike an hour and half one way.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I had my 2012 CCT done a couple months ago. It's a 15 minute job and they do install a part. If memory serves they re-route the brake line and a wire harness on the left side where the passenger peg/board assembly bolts on. I'd suggest taking it in so the work can be properly recorded. Call ahead to ensure the dealer has the correct part in stock and ready to go. It's just another good reason to go for a ride.

·
Premium Member
13,658 Posts
At this point this is just a reminder. I still need to address this myself.

Victory Motorcycles Recalling Certain 2010-2017 Models

Published by Cyril Huze November 4th, 2017 i
Polaris Industries owner of the now discontinued Victory Motorcycles is recalling 26200 motorcycles (model years 2010-2017): Victory Magnum, Cross Country, Cross Roads, Tour and Hard Ball. The issue is regarding the engine potentially misfiring and and resulting in heat from the catalytic converter melting the rear brake line and nearby wiring.
Damage to the brake line or wiring could increase the risk of a crash. “Continued operation with the engine in a misfire condition can result in elevated exhaust temperatures. The rear brake line and localized electrical lines can become damaged as the result of increased temperatures.”
Dealers will re-route the brake line away from the exhaust catalyst, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in November 2017. Owners may contact Polaris customer service at 1-877-737-7172. Polaris’ number for this recall is V-17-02.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
26,200 is all they sold???

·
Premium Member
13,658 Posts
That caught my eye too. I was thinking around 40k X-bikes. Guess not.

Then I think of the 1999-2000 Exelsior-Henderson Super-X that made less than 2,000 and they are still going strong. Good looking bike too. I wouldn't mind having one.
Retrospective: 1999-2000 Excelsior-Henderson Super X

Clement Salvadori /
September 28, 2017

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
That caught my eye too. I was thinking around 40k X-bikes. Guess not.

Then I think of the 1999-2000 Exelsior-Henderson Super-X that made less than 2,000 and they are still going strong. Good looking bike too. I wouldn't mind having one.
Retrospective: 1999-2000 Excelsior-Henderson Super X

Clement Salvadori /
September 28, 2017
Now we know why Polaris wouldn't list production figures.

I have a friend that bought a Excelsior-Henderson in the box as delivered to a dealer, he mounted it on the wall at the ceiling of his machine shop/garage.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Yes the bike is still in the crate.

·
Premium Member
13,658 Posts
Yes the bike is still in the crate.
I'd like to see a picture of that. I'm assuming he did this knowing the bike would be a collector item. If I had one; I'd ride it. Not as much as other bikes I have but it would still get some miles in per year.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I had mine done. The more significant problem in that area is the brake line appears to rub on the swing arm. The dealer would not cover this.
Unless you already came up with a solution to that rubbing, I suggest a piece of tubing, the same length as the swing arm is wide, cut a slit in it lengthwise and zip tie it around the brake line.

·
13,188 Posts
why not just go to auto store and get some hose cover. That plastic ribbed covering. Then move the tie off to a different spot. I would think anyone could do it

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of that. I'm assuming he did this knowing the bike would be a collector item. If I had one; I'd ride it. Not as much as other bikes I have but it would still get some miles in per year.
He bought it still in the crate as a collector and he said he has buyers remorse for doing it. The bike was bought at an auction in Vegas for way more that it will be worth in his lifetime, the resale is worse than a Victory.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts