Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)

Got my recall notice in the mail today:

Victory has determined that, on certain motorcycles, the throttle cable retention nuts for either the pull or push throttle cable may not have been tightened to the proper specification.

As to which those "certain" bikes are:

This Safety Recall affects some vehicles in ALL models of 2012-2013 Victory Motorcycles. Our records indicate that you have purchased a potentially affected vehicle.

I have two pics here. One is the back page of the notice, which has pictures of the four nuts in question: two for each throttle cable, on either side of a holding plate.

The other pic is of my '12 XCT. The inner cable (I don't know whether it's the "push" cable or the "pull" cable) on my bike does indeed have two nuts on it, one on each side of that bracket. The cable that's toward the outside of the bike, however, is held in place not by nuts, but by some sort of plastic or rubber sheath, with what appears to be a notch in it (to snap onto the bracket).

The recall notice makes no mention of this exception, that is, .... (wait for it) ... having only two nuts instead of four. It's certainly possible that the inner-cable's nuts need to be torqued properly, and so I'll schedule an appointment. On the other hand, I'm surprised that this design change regarding the outer cable doesn't seem to be mentioned. Anyone else looked at and counted your (throttle-cable) nuts lately?

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Got my recall in the mail today for my 12 cross roads. So will make an appointment and get it corrected. I'll have to ride 60 miles to the closest dealer so I hope I make it without any trouble. Ride Safe All...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I also received the recall notice in the mail. Mentioned it to the dealer today when I took my bike in for service and they weren't even aware of the recall.

No issues with my throttle cables though and it only took a few minutes for the technician to check it out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't know. Take the cheese wedge off and maybe your other nuts are under there.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
backfire,cough!

Ok! Do the nuts tighten up when the engine backfires/coughs? :ltr:---bad joke.

·
Registered
75 Posts
got my letter over the weekend, got to call the dealer....

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know. Take the cheese wedge off and maybe your other nuts are under there.
OK, I took the cheese wedge off, and took some more pics. Attached here is the clearest one.

There are two cables - as expected - involved in the throttle process. If I rotate the right grip, I can see both cables move: turning the grip from its idle position to its on-the-gas position, I can see slack taken up in both cables.

As I said above, the end of the fixed portion of inner cable, i.e., its sheath, is secured to a bracket by a nut on each side of the bracket. The cable on more on the outside of the bike is not secured by nuts, but instead has some sort of special-purpose end to its sheath, such that that outer cable's position is secured by this special end piece (which seems to be formed such that it snaps into place in a notch in the bracket. Take another look, please, via this post's picture.

My question to one and all is this: does anyone else have one of the throttle cables secured in this manner - a special piece on the end of the sheath - instead of the two-nuts method used on the other throttle cable?

I'm just curious, really; I have an appointment for this recall at a dealer, for two days from now. (By the way, I asked the service guy, when I called up today, whether he was aware of this recall, and he said that he was.) My bike was ordered from the factory in late January, this year, and shipped in a crate to a dealer (a different one than I'm going to), so my bike certainly seems to fit in the timeframe involved in the recall. I'm just wondering whether the service dept. is going to be surprised to see this non-nut mounting for one of the cables.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
OK, I took the cheese wedge off, and took some more pics. Attached here is the clearest one.

There are two cables - as expected - involved in the throttle process. If I rotate the right grip, I can see both cables move: turning the grip from its idle position to its on-the-gas position, I can see slack taken up in both cables.

As I said above, the end of the fixed portion of inner cable, i.e., its sheath, is secured to a bracket by a nut on each side of the bracket. The cable on more on the outside of the bike is not secured by nuts, but instead has some sort of special-purpose end to its sheath, such that that outer cable's position is secured by this special end piece (which seems to be formed such that it snaps into place in a notch in the bracket. Take another look, please, via this post's picture.

My question to one and all is this: does anyone else have one of the throttle cables secured in this manner - a special piece on the end of the sheath - instead of the two-nuts method used on the other throttle cable?

I'm just curious, really; I have an appointment for this recall at a dealer, for two days from now. (By the way, I asked the service guy, when I called up today, whether he was aware of this recall, and he said that he was.) My bike was ordered from the factory in late January, this year, and shipped in a crate to a dealer (a different one than I'm going to), so my bike certainly seems to fit in the timeframe involved in the recall. I'm just wondering whether the service dept. is going to be surprised to see this non-nut mounting for one of the cables.
I have the exact same setup as you. I already had the recall done and all was good, so Victory's picture is probably wrong and there is only 2 nuts. (I hope). When you go for your recall and they tell you that you are missing your nuts let me know.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the exact same setup as you. I already had the recall done and all was good, so Victory's picture is probably wrong and there is only 2 nuts. (I hope). When you go for your recall and they tell you that you are missing your nuts let me know.
Hatchet: :ltr: will do!

Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
302 Posts

As I read the caution, following sec. 4, I interpret it to mean that there ought to be 4 nuts, and if not, you need to have the recall repair done. Maybe the cable with the clip was an assembly error. My bike's throttle cables look like wspollack's.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Now you got me wondering if I'm missing two nuts and my dealer didn't do the recall right.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now you got me wondering if I'm missing two nuts and my dealer didn't do the recall right.
I'll chat with the service guy on Thursday, and see if he can shed some light on this. Going for a ride afterward, so I won't be able to post until the evening. I don't have high hopes for a knowledgeable service guy here, but I could be surprised.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Only 2 nuts

wspollack, Mine is exactly like yours.
The rear cable has two nuts and the front cable is Nutless :rolleyes:
I'm Interested as to what your service guy says about you being "NutLess"
Sorry I had to say it.......

·
Registered
94 Posts
I checked my throttle cables out today. Mine is like others mentioned here, nuts on inside cable, rubber housing snapped into a slot in the bracket on the outside cable.

I removed the wedge, pulled the rubber housed cable out of its slot to gain access to the inside cable. Checked the tightness of the nuts with a 10mm wrench (they were tight already) and reassembled. Rode the bike the 17 miles to work, no issues.

Really a simple check and I am surprised that there is a whole recall campaign about something so simple, but whatever.

If you want to go through the trouble of taking your bike to the dealer for this go ahead. There was no way I was going to waste time doing that for a simple matter of torque check. This item should be included in the normal maintenance checks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Will it void your warranty if you do not take it in?

m
Hard to say. I'd ask Ma Vic about that. Seems to me if there was a failure that they could track back to the throttle cables not being serviced, they could deny a warranty claim.

There may be something in the letter about that too. I didn't read all of it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don't know if it will void your warranty if you don't tighten it up but it will definitely ruin your day if your nuts are loose and you become nutless. Ouch.

·
Registered
302 Posts
At the least, if you don't take your bike in, the recall letters will keep coming. At least, that is what a car salesman friend of mine said.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts