Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Missouri we are starting to see more and more redlight cameras. If you run a red light, you will receive a ticket in the mail because you were seen running the light. So what this is doing, people are stopping as soon as the green light goes to yellow. I had this happen to me twice. Stay a good distance from the car in front of you, because if they lock them up, you are going to make a panic stop and believe me, my Hammer will skid or did alot further than that car will. The Hammer has great brakes but it still will skid when you apply the brakes in an emergency manner.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In Missouri we are starting to see more and more redlight cameras. If you run a red light, you will receive a ticket in the mail because you were seen running the light. So what this is doing, people are stopping as soon as the green light goes to yellow. I had this happen to me twice. Stay a good distance from the car in front of you, because if they lock them up, you are going to make a panic stop and believe me, my Hammer will skid or did alot further than that car will. The Hammer has great brakes but it still will skid when you apply the brakes in an emergency manner.
i hear you my friend just went down yesterday b/c of that broke his wrist , sprained ankle fractured hip he is all right but still the situation sucks.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
i hear you my friend just went down yesterday b/c of that broke his wrist , sprained ankle fractured hip he is all right but still the situation sucks.
They have them all over town in the Houston area. They have not helped reduce accidents one single bit. But they have raised revenue for the city.:confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
They have them all over town in the Houston area. They have not helped reduce accidents one single bit. But they have raised revenue for the city.:confused:
I've got another complaint to go along with this. Some of the lights here stay green on the main street until a car approaches the red on the side street. The lights use some kind of sensor to let it know there is a vehicle on the side street. The problem is that these sensors won't always pick up a bike sitting there and the damn light never changes. Now put a camera on it and they have all they need to watch my little tail light cruising through the red that won't change after sitting there for 10mins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got another complaint to go along with this. Some of the lights here stay green on the main street until a car approaches the red on the side street. The lights use some kind of sensor to let it know there is a vehicle on the side street. The problem is that these sensors won't always pick up a bike sitting there and the damn light never changes. Now put a camera on it and they have all they need to watch my little tail light cruising through the red that won't change after sitting there for 10mins.
You are right, there are sensors either in the street or mounted on the signal arm. The sensors in the street are known as inductive loops, they sense a change in their magnetic field, thus causing a call to go into the traffic signal controller. The sensor mounted on the signal arm are either video based or microwave based. The signal arm units are usually much better at detecting motorcycles, the loops, not so much. We also have red light cameras in my town as well. They work off of loops. Ours are setup to catch anything going faster than 15mph entering an intersection once the light is red. There are 2 loops per lane, and speed is determined as how fast both loop sensors are triggered. I hope this sheds some light on detection problems. We have made adjustments for motorcycles at these intersections. Contact your local public works traffic shop and ask them to do this too. And as to when the cameras will trigger, remember that per law, if you enter an intersection legally on a yellow light, as per national right to clear law, you have the right to continue through the intersection to clear.

A future Victory owner.....cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.