Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So its 0030, pondering again... Here is something open for comment.

I am pro riding gear wearing jacket, gloves, boots, pants (blue jeans summer with chaps in winter) and always wear my reflective vest at night since I have gotten back on 2 wheels. Not so much in the daylight until recently (hence the reason for this post) I used to wear reflective only when required on base but getting up close and personal with a cager at night about 20 years ago has made me rethink that. He ran a stop sign, crossed 3 lanes of traffic to have me remove his drivers side mirror with my leg. Minor nerve damage still reminds me of this event. I quit riding shortly there after until last year.

So, on to my topic. I have been wearing my reflective vest dusk till dawn, any time I know I will be in rush hour traffic, or on trips. Well, that is about 80% of my riding so eventually I went to 24/7. A fellow biker in our group just took a hit one of the few times he DIDNT wear his so this gave me even more reasoning to myself to wear it. You don't look cool on the ground. What I have seemed to notice since I started wearing it 24/7 is the decreased amount of return waves when going down the road from other bikers.

At first I thought I was just imagining it but I have been paying close attention and sure enough, I would venture to say maybe 1 in 4 bikes return the wave now. Would this be they think I am a weekend warrior on the bike for the first time and dont rate it??

Another thought is (this is an ICON orange/black vest) that maybe it is being associated with HD colors and I am being looked at as one of those riders with all the HD attire riding their new sportster. (Im not anti HD by the way and my TC doesnt look like a sportster).

So, was curious if anyone had noticed anything similar when they ride for the slide vs Jeans, Tshirt and tearing up the highway like Easyrider.. hehe

Oh, as a spin off from another topic.... I wave at anything on two wheels except Scooters and motorized skateboards. this includes the boys in blue with their radar guns... Don't get many waves back from them no matter what... :D

Tim

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

I am pro riding gear wearing jacket, gloves, boots, pants (blue jeans summer with chaps in winter) and always wear my reflective vest at night since I have gotten back on 2 wheels. Not so much in the daylight until recently (hence the reason for this post) I used to wear reflective only when required on base but getting up close and personal with a cager at night about 20 years ago has made me rethink that. He ran a stop sign, crossed 3 lanes of traffic to have me remove his drivers side mirror with my leg. Minor nerve damage still reminds me of this event. I quit riding shortly there after until last year.

So, on to my topic. I have been wearing my reflective vest dusk till dawn, any time I know I will be in rush hour traffic, or on trips. Well, that is about 80% of my riding so eventually I went to 24/7. I fellow biker in our group just took a hit one of the few times he DIDNT wear his so this gave me even more reasoning to myself to wear it. You don't look cool on the ground. What I have seemed to notice since I started wearing it 24/7 is the amount of return waves when going down the road from other bikers.

At first I thought I was just imagining it but I have been paying close attention and sure enough, I would venture to say maybe 1 in 4 bikes return the wave now. Would this be they think I am a weekend warrior on the bike for the first time and dont rate it??

Another thought is (this is an ICON orange/black vest) that maybe it is being associated with HD colors and I am being looked at as one of those riders with all the HD attire riding their new sportster. (Im not anti HD by the way).

So, was curious if anyone had noticed anything similar when they ride for the slide vs Jeans, Tshirt and tearing up the highway like Easyrider.. hehe

Oh, as a spin off from another topic.... I wave at anything on two wheels except Scooters and motorized skateboards. this includes the boys in blue with their radar guns... Don't get many waves back from them no matter what... :D

Tim
Man, wave at scooters too. When you do, you make their day. They dream to ride a bike like yours. Anyhow, I do, and they give back the biggest waves. ;-)

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
One can't be safe enough sez me. At 75, I work hard to preserve what's left. I think Tim has the right idea and more should follow suit, but they don't cuz they think it ain't cool looking, whatever that means. I'll tell you what ain't cool; getting hit and rolling/sliding down the tarmac. Anything I can do to avoid that is fine with me.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, wave at scooters too. When you do, you make their day. They dream to ride a bike like yours. Anyhow, I do, and they give back the biggest waves. ;-)
Well to clarify CR, about every other one I lift my fingers off the clutch handle without my hand leaving the grip so it is sorta a wave but not a real wave like their bike.. Kinda leave'em guessing lol.. Ok, so maybe I will start waving at them too.. cheers

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Ricz riding at 75 is fantastic. Age is a mental thing. Keep on riding:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just my 2 cents, I myself would not be concerned if the other biker waves or not. I wave as an enthusiast and if they don't wave back due to the gear I am wearing I really don't want to associate myself to those type of riders.:D Enjoy riding and wave to all !!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
reflective vest

I wear a reflective vest over my jacket all the time. A friend saw me going through an intersection once during the day and said the vest was what he saw first out of the corner of his eye.

My wife got me the vest from Ikea for about $5. The velcro tabs are starting to have trouble holding the vest shut, so I'll probably get some stick on velcro to keep it closed. I have a 2nd one for my son when he's on the back.

I've felt the burn of pavement before, so I always gear up.

·
Registered
812 Posts

So, on to my topic. I have been wearing my reflective vest dusk till dawn, any time I know I will be in rush hour traffic, or on trips. Well, that is about 80% of my riding so eventually I went to 24/7. A fellow biker in our group just took a hit one of the few times he DIDNT wear his so this gave me even more reasoning to myself to wear it. You don't look cool on the ground. What I have seemed to notice since I started wearing it 24/7 is the decreased amount of return waves when going down the road from other bikers.

Another thought is (this is an ICON orange/black vest) that maybe it is being associated with HD colors and I am being looked at as one of those riders with all the HD attire riding their new sportster. (Im not anti HD by the way and my TC doesnt look like a sportster).

Tim
I do not dress quite like you. I do always wear jeans and boots, but do not wear a jacket or a reflective vest ever. I do wave at all bikes, not so much the scooters. I wear a helmet 50% of the time, I know sooner or later I will regret it, but with my neck and back problems it really limits my riding enjoyment. I used to wear gloves, but have even quit that. I wish I knew why more people do not wave. I think it is a respect thing from some and a don't give a **** thing on the rest.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I wave to all that initiate a wave and nod at all others.

As far as the disco vest goes they're good to wear in areas where people are used to seeing them (bases, forts, posts) but could get you hit where they're seen rarely. Unfortunately target fixation is a real threat and your bright orange/yellow/green vest could easily make you or someone else near an individual that is hyper focusing on the brightly colored outer garment a target.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The reflector suits make many of us tend to think they are either cops or beginners. Most riders don't want to draw attention to themselves and therefore typically don't wave @ cops. and many may think you are a cop so now you know how they fell... :(

·
Registered
545 Posts
Being "old school" after 50 years of riding... I wave at all my fellow riders on two wheels, even bicycles. Two fingers down is my way of saying "keep your rubber on the road". And just the other day, I waved at a scooter going the other way... she turned around and caught up when I had stopped for refreshment... we had a good time. You never know!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wear mine all the time too. One reason is it makes it easier to get my ID out when I go on to base. Two I paid for it and I like it so I wear it. I do think I am going to put a bad ass patch on the back that says something crazy but its all good.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wave to all that initiate a wave and nod at all others.

As far as the disco vest goes they're good to wear in areas where people are used to seeing them (bases, forts, posts) but could get you hit where they're seen rarely. Unfortunately target fixation is a real threat and your bright orange/yellow/green vest could easily make you or someone else near an individual that is hyper focusing on the brightly colored outer garment a target.
Never really thought about it like that Umby. I guess that is what kept me from going with the green, thinking its just too much. Im sure you have seen the dull orange ICON vest and know it's not that pop you in the face street worker safety vest. Something to think about.thumb up

Keep in mind on this post I was simply curious about how safety gear is viewed by other riders, those that don't wave back I assume just didnt see my two down/hand I would assume but know it aint true. If you wear gear, do you see riders looking at you as the noob is overkilling the safety gear?

As a couple replys stated, I agree and don't care what others are thinking... I ride for the slide, my gear is comfortable and should the worst happen my hope is it lessens any loss of skin... :D I have forums likes this to thank for being better equipped and prepared each time I take my bike out (which is ever day lol).... Safe riddin all!!!!cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts