Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love doing MC advanced classes. I've done RLaP about 5 times, and ProRider once. I'm doing ProRider again Saturday. To prep, I have been practicing full lock u-turns at every opportunity. Finally got there today.
When I got home, I figured reducing the size of the friction zone, thus increasing free play to the max might be helpful for the class. The bike was already full hot, so conditions were correct for the adjustment. I adjusted the cable to give me maximum free play, with generous allowance for no friction at rest in first gear.
I'm ready for the class. That is how you adjust a clutch. Doing it cold is bullshit and does not get you where you want to be. YMMV.:eek

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
I'm with you DP. Why adjust the clutch cold when you do not ride cold. I have a Barnett cable and EZ-Pull and if I adjusted cold, there would be negative freeplay.
Good luck in that course.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I'm with you DP. Why adjust the clutch cold when you do not ride cold. I have a Barnett cable and EZ-Pull and if I adjusted cold, there would be negative freeplay.
Good luck in that course.
Actually i check my free play when i am riding .... When i can wiggle the lever 1 mm then i am happy ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
I wiggle the cable at the bottom. I want to be certain the clutch pivot seats when the handle is at rest.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I love doing MC advanced classes. I've done RLaP about 5 times, and ProRider once. I'm doing ProRider again Saturday. To prep, I have been practicing full lock u-turns at every opportunity. Finally got there today.
When I got home, I figured reducing the size of the friction zone, thus increasing free play to the max might be helpful for the class. The bike was already full hot, so conditions were correct for the adjustment. I adjusted the cable to give me maximum free play, with generous allowance for no friction at rest in first gear.
I'm ready for the class. That is how you adjust a clutch. Doing it cold is bullshit and does not get you where you want to be. YMMV.:eek

Nothing but respect for you about the classes Depot Picker, Good on you sir!

Your clutch adjustment works for you as well, so, awesome.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I took the basic course when I first started riding street bikes in early 2009, in TN if you take the 3 day course you do not have to go to the DMV and take the test there. I figured it was worth the $150 since all I knew were dirt bikes and I was right, big help to a new street rider. I then took the more advanced class a couple of years later on my Suzuki M50 and really enjoyed that. I would like to take the same class again on my XR but finding the time is the challenge. The downside of working 50+ hours a week with a family is finding time to embrace your hobbies!

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the basic course when I first started riding street bikes in early 2009, in TN if you take the 3 day course you do not have to go to the DMV and take the test there. I figured it was worth the $150 since all I knew were dirt bikes and I was right, big help to a new street rider. I then took the more advanced class a couple of years later on my Suzuki M50 and really enjoyed that. I would like to take the same class again on my XR but finding the time is the challenge. The downside of working 50+ hours a week with a family is finding time to embrace your hobbies!
If you do get around to it, Prorider is an 8 hour session. RLaP is 4. Same cost.

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
A course that really helped me with riding in the twisties was Reg Pridmore's CLASS, which is taught at race tracks. Its not a racing school thing, rather it teaches you how to execute curves and most importantly, keeping the revs up for better throttle control.
The only thing I didn't like about it is doesn't like counter steering (huh?) and prefers what he calls body steering. So I discounted that part.

·
12,970 Posts
Yes guys with experience and the touch can adjust the clutch when its warm. But the novice will have a tuff time and can get it all out of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
it aint that hard. Doing it cold does not make it more accurate.
yeah same with drive belts, check when hot cos thats when "the heat is on"
plus I clean and lube my clutch while the sump oils draining and its always hot when I drain it.
In the habit of checking stuff like clutch freeplay hot belt freeplay hot and cant walk past a gas bottle LPG, Oxy MIG without checking it, call me OCD but leaked Argoshield costs money and LPG could cost a lot more if it goes BOOM!
Pays to check stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts