Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, have bike off ground, lower shock and lowering link bolts out, pin for rocker assmbely is out, swing arm does NOT lower enough to even drop shock down to disconnect from rocker assembely. What am I doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
is all of the air out of the shock?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
if you can pull the core out of the valve that works great, if not no worries, get the link out, unbolt the shock, make sure nothing else is holding the swingarm from dropping, i had to take the little electrical box out of between the shock and link to make enough room, then it should come out, dont remember if i took the rocker off or not

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
if you can pull the core out of the valve that works great, if not no worries, get the link out, unbolt the shock, make sure nothing else is holding the swingarm from dropping, i had to take the little electrical box out of between the shock and link to make enough room, then it should come out, dont remember if i took the rocker off or not

YESSS that little electrical box is hold me up for sure, in service manual it didnt show pulling it, so i hadnt yet...but now i will, not sure how its attached.

*** nowhere near dropping this far without pullingshock over..

·
13,177 Posts
leave the link bolted up and unbolt the top of the shock and now wiggle it out

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
the box is held in by two little bolts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got it out.....now getting it in will be a biaatchhh

·
Registered
12,296 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well all back together, pumped up, and ready to go! $200 pain in the ass job! But felt good I got a brand new shock for $200!

1 more question, are the bushings in the swing arm where the shock and lowering link bolt in suppose to be sort of sloppy? What I mean is, when the bolt is tight and torqued to spec, and the bike is in the air with the rear wheel off the ground, are you suppose to be able to twist the lowering ling and the shock a few degrees each way?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I am not 100% sure because it ha been nearly 3 years but when mine was replaced I jacked my bike up to check the belt tension and I think I remember that I could rotate the shock a little bit each way.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
yes they are not "sloppy" they rotate in the swingarm.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome!

Thanks guys!

·
Banned
471 Posts
Ok so I'm about the replace the rear shock on my XC with a Traxxion / Penske shock.

Which electrical box are you referring to?

Is it on the right or left side of the bike?

Thanks in advance.

·
Vendor
129 Posts
I think the box they are referring to is a little white box in front of the swing arm. Its held on by 2 little nuts. Its the tip over switch. If the bike tips over it will kill the fuel. You can remove it to help make some room when your pulling out the shock.

Make sure you put it back on the same way- not upside down or the bike will not start. I'd mark it so you know what side is up.:wink

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I think the box they are referring to is a little white box in front of the swing arm. Its held on by 2 little nuts. Its the tip over switch. If the bike tips over it will kill the fuel. You can remove it to help make some room when your pulling out the shock.

Make sure you put it back on the same way- not upside down or the bike will not start. I'd mark it so you know what side is up.:wink

thanks, yes i meantioned this in his other post, been 5 months since ive had a bike in my garage to look at, so i was close! haha

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
For anyone needing more clarity on this Jon from Witchdoctors has a video on YouTube. It's about changing the link but it's pretty much the same for the shock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts