Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to powdercoat my levers, but I'm concerned about the bushing and the adjustable dial. I'm pretty sure the bushing is plastic and I believe the dial is as well. With the Temps in the powdercoating booth, they have to come out. How can I remove this bushing with damaging it? Yes, I've searched the forums and no, I couldn't find a video on the WD site.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I wanted to buy them, I'd have done so. There is no reason to buy new levers for that price when I can get them powdercoated for $25

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I want to powdercoat my levers, but I'm concerned about the bushing and the adjustable dial. I'm pretty sure the bushing is plastic and I believe the dial is as well. With the Temps in the powdercoating booth, they have to come out. How can I remove this bushing with damaging it? Yes, I've searched the forums and no, I couldn't find a video on the WD site.
I'm not so sure that either the bushing or dial are plastic. Easy to find out, by taking a single bolt out, and using a magnet in the area. I believe the levers are aluminum, the dial steel, and the bushing some sort of metal.
@LILMAGS500 has a friend who does powdercoating. I'm not sure whether he's a pro or a semi-pro, but he did mine (in gloss black), and they came out perfectly, dial included.

Mags knows more about this process and his friend's work, and hopefully he'll chime in here.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not so sure that either the bushing or dial are plastic. Easy to find out, by taking a single bolt out, and using a magnet in the area. I believe the levers are aluminum, the dial steel, and the bushing some sort of metal.

@LILMAGS500 has a friend who does powdercoating. I'm not sure whether he's a pro or a semi-pro, but he did mine (in gloss black), and they came out perfectly, dial included.

Mags knows more about this process and his friend's work, and hopefully he'll chime in here.
Thanks. . I figured there is way to drift out the bushing and remove the dial assembly. I can see how the assembly is held in by the bushing. I would just rather hear from a pro as to the proper way to do it

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I was going to do the same thing, however I ran into Victory of Mesa Az store in Apache Junction and they had a set of black levers for 149.00. Screw it..I bought them and they look great!
Funny cause I'm a cheap bastid... 😀

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided to just wing it. I sprayed it down with WD40, took a 7mm long socket and gently tapped out the bushing. It is, in fact, metal. The dial assembly came out easily. Now, I can get the levers and the dial powdercoated for a fraction of a set of new levers. It's better having it disassembled so as to ensure the powder doesn't get where it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I decided to just wing it. I sprayed it down with WD40, took a 7mm long socket and gently tapped out the bushing. It is, in fact, metal. The dial assembly came out easily. Now, I can get the levers and the dial powdercoated for a fraction of a set of new levers. It's better having it disassembled so as to ensure the powder doesn't get where it shouldn't be.
If it's a tight fit after powdercoating, you may have to sand down the top or bottom. I'm talking about how the lever rests in the opening, not the bushing. My powdercoated levers were okay in this respect -- they still could pivot fine -- but Mags warned me that I might have to do this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts