Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello..I hope this post finds everyone healthy in these crazy times. With lots of time on my hands I decided to tackle a few Victory projects.

I'm removing the gas tank and I have one more connection to take care of before I can totally remove it. It is the electrical connection right under the tank.
Hopefully you can view the pic I uploaded. I understand the small part "clicks" into the larger part, but how does it come out? Do the little gray parts
slide out first? I can't figure out what releases it and I don't want to break anything.

Also..I took the fuel line off at the fuel rail, but after looking underneath it might be easier to leave it there and take it off under the tank. My question here
is if I unhook the fuel line from directly under the tank is gas going to come pouring out?

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hello..I hope this post finds everyone healthy in these crazy times. With lots of time on my hands I decided to tackle a few Victory projects.

I'm removing the gas tank and I have one more connection to take care of before I can totally remove it. It is the electrical connection right under the tank.
Hopefully you can view the pic I uploaded. I understand the small part "clicks" into the larger part, but how does it come out? Do the little gray parts
slide out first? I can't figure out what releases it and I don't want to break anything.

Also..I took the fuel line off at the fuel rail, but after looking underneath it might be easier to leave it there and take it off under the tank. My question here
is if I unhook the fuel line from directly under the tank is gas going to come pouring out?

Thanks in advance...
Push in on the nob i've circled...

stay safe,....

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
No, fuel will NOT come pouring out of the tank if you disconnect the fuel line from the tank. Be VERY careful when connecting and disconnecting either end of the fuel line. The nipples into which the connections mate are plastic and prone to breaking. If they do break, they are expensive to replace and possible but difficult to repair. Only put straight on/off pressure on the nipple. Never put front to back or side to side pressure on the nipple.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks CanuckRob for showing me what now seems really obvious. I just didn’t want to break it

Thanks Vinish for the added advice. I was surprised how easy the connection came off at the fuel rail. I tried the one at the tank first but it didn’t come off like I thought it would so just left it alone.

I’m working my way down to change the throttle body adapter boot...good times...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Thanks CanuckRob for showing me what now seems really obvious. I just didn’t want to break it

Thanks Vinish for the added advice. I was surprised how easy the connection came off at the fuel rail. I tried the one at the tank first but it didn’t come off like I thought it would so just left it alone.

I’m working my way down to change the throttle body adapter boot...good times...
good deal....glad it's working out...8) yer welcome!

Stay Safe!

Rob

·
13,235 Posts
have someone cut that zip tie its not needed and you can lift tank higher to see more.
The reason you do the fuel rail unhook is for when you put the tank back on

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I'm back again...so I pushed on the gray nob that CanuckRob helped me with above. When doing so I noticed it pushed the gray section out and I was able to take the gray piece out? Not what I expected, but it didn't seem to break anything. In doing the same to the other side I got the second gray piece out. I'm assuming these are suppose to come out? See uploaded pic. By pulling a little on each side (with gray pieces out) I'm still not able to disconnect. Again I didn't pull too much in fear of breaking something.

Just wanted to make sure before I pulled harder. Sorry if I'm still missing the obvious!

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,663 Posts
I think you need this 9 minutes in where they show the connector. Hope that helps.

Reactions: SportyDoug

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I FINALLy got it off! Thanks everyone. I watched a lot of Witchdoctor videos, but must have missed that one.

After getting the tank off I was a little surprised what I saw. The entire air box seems to be enclosed. In my research the videos I was watching were 07. (I failed to mention I have a 2009 Vegas) My intent after getting the tank off was to check out the throttle bodies. At the end of last riding season the bike ran rough, low idle, and stumbled a bit at at 40 mph (3rd gear)
After posting here a possible intake side air leak was mentioned....which brought me to the throttle body intake boot. It doesn't appear ripped or cracked in anyway, but yes rubber doesn't last forever. All the surrounding hoses don't appear to be cracked either.

Now I'm at a cross road. Can I even get that throttle body out by taking those 4 bolts out and sliding it out to the right side? (yes..easier said then done I know)
I'm guessing this is worth changing eventually, but I can't say for sure that is it right now...or if I can even do it myself.

Or...put it everything back and start easy...change plugs, spark plug wires, air filter and maybe run some fuel injection cleaner in it. I only have approx 7,500. (bought it used with low miles)
Unfortunately, for many reasons I didn't have time to ride last season and the seasons are short up here in Maine. Also, the rides I did take were short. (about an hour a few times a week)

Just looking for advice if I should change a part that might be faulty (throttle body boot) but will eventually have to be changed...or move on to other easier items first.

Sorry for the long post...just trying to give more info. Thought I would just keep posting here instead of starting something new...let me know if that was wrong. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks in advance...
YouTube air filter change

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the air filter change definitely isn't a challenge for me...if you meant search to search for air box...that I guess would be different.
Seems as though to do any modifications to that area you have to cut things up. I'm not so sure I'm up for that right now. If I have to cut that out
to get to the throttle body boot then I guess that answers that question

1 - 11 of 11 Posts