Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Removing rear shock.

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Wyckedjester 
#1 ·
So, I ordered and received the Penske shock and I'm trying to get the old shock out of there. I ran across a video advocating grinding off one side of the lower bracket but I find it difficult to believe that mechanics would have to do that to get the shock out. Having said that, I'm following the instructions in the service manual and I'm finding it quite a challenge to get that damn thing out of there. So, looking for some experience advice.

1) What's the best way to get the current shock out of there? I'd rather keep it intact, but I'll do what I must to get it out of there.
2) Am I going to have to grind anything to get the Penske shock in there? If so, what?

Many thanks, as always!

#2 ·
So, I ordered and received the Penske shock and I'm trying to get the old shock out of there. I ran across a video advocating grinding off one side of the lower bracket but I find it difficult to believe that mechanics would have to do that to get the shock out. Having said that, I'm following the instructions in the service manual and I'm finding it quite a challenge to get that damn thing out of there. So, looking for some experience advice.

1) What's the best way to get the current shock out of there? I'd rather keep it intact, but I'll do what I must to get it out of there.

2) Am I going to have to grind anything to get the Penske shock in there? If so, what?

Many thanks, as always!
Taking the shock out of a cross bike cannot be that difficult ?

When I changed my tire i removed that pin on top of the shock and it was not very difficult ....
@RICZ wrote a nice modification regarding this pin, and if you would read that, then taking out the shock would not be a problem right ? If you can take out your rear wheel then you can take out your shock ... Same thing ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

#3 ·
Pull the pin, and the bottom link bolts. drop the shock down and rotate it rearward. You have to finagle it a little. But I’ve never ground anything and I’ve change a couple of them out. And helped a friend change out his lowering link last week.

#4 ·
It's been a while since I swapped mine out as part of the 21" upgrade kit but I remember it being difficult. As I recall the instructions say to remove the swing arm. What I remember doing was having someone forcibly spread the frame and the swing arm by putting their feet on the swing arm and pulling up somewhere down low by the fender. It gave just enough room to get it out.

#7 ·
So, I was able to get the shock out by getting the bike as far off the ground as I could thereby letting the swing arm down as far as possible. There still wasn't enough clearance, but I cleared the bracket on the bottom of the shock by hitting the bracket with a screwdriver and hammer. That pushed it through.

Also was able to get the Penske shock in after much wailing and gnashing of teeth. You really have to do things in the right order or you'll have to step back and redo them. The service manual was slightly helpful, but not much overall.

Anyway, thanks to all that replied and if anyone runs across this thread and wants specifics in the future hit me up and I'll share my experiences.

Thanks again and have a good one out there!

Reactions: Jay_DFW
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.