Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching around for a used Vision and came across a pretty good deal on a bike that already has reverse added. While it would be useful on such a heavy bike in certain situations, I'm not particularly wanting this accessory. How hard would it be to remove, and what would it be worth to sell it?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mine doesn't have it but there have been a few times that I wish it did. So if it's a good deal, maybe try it out before you decide to take it off.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Review the manual and you will see how involved reverse gear is with the electrics, the tranny and the drive. I recently worked on a CCT that has it and it appears that even the front belt pulley is different. I'd say, you'd be stuck with that reverse.
If you don't have one, best to do leg exercises to strengthen them. The reverse assembly is big, heavy and expensive. If you have a hydraulic clutch, to access the bleeder, you need to remove the reverse motor and that is a royal PITA.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Review the manual and you will see how involved reverse gear is with the electrics, the tranny and the drive. I recently worked on a CCT that has it and it appears that even the front belt pulley is different. I'd say, you'd be stuck with that reverse.
If you don't have one, best to do leg exercises to strengthen them. The reverse assembly is big, heavy and expensive. If you have a hydraulic clutch, to access the bleeder, you need to remove the reverse motor and that is a royal PITA.
Good info. Didn't think the service manual would have the information. Many times accessories aren't covered. Thanks for the heads up. Does look fairly complicated. Would need a few new pieces to replace stock parts. If I go for it I might just leave it in place. Wouldn't hurt to have it when riding two up in hilly areas.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can it be removed? Yes...do you wanna be the guy that does the removal?
I do most of my own wrenching that doesn't involve opening the motor, and that is only limited due to time and work space. I grew up the son of a farmer/mechanic and have been taking apart mechanical items all my life. I'm not afraid of the challenge. Just not sure what is involved in the process. If it would cost me more to remove it than to leave it, there is no need to. But if I can remove it and make a few bucks selling the kit, then the "sale" price of the bike just went down. Again, it may be worth it to just leave it alone.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Also have you tried using it?
I ended up with a GW1500 which we have a sdecar on.
The reverse didn't work when I got it so I fixed it. I was amazed how handy it is. Don't need it very often but it sure is sweet at times.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Although I would never add one, I gotta say that a large BMW touring bike I rented in Germany had one and it did come in handy on several occasions, especially where parking was tight and I had to park nose downhill. But that's a tall bike and back paddling was difficult. The low seating on our Vics makes foot backing easy. Even for this 80 year old.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
It would really not be that difficult to remove. No need to change out the front pulley as it's only an additional gear bolted to the face of the front pulley. Simply unbolt the gear and change the cover. Plenty of stock covers floating around. The rest is unbolting the motor from the other side and removing thecwire harness which is plug and play. I know this because I installed reverse on my Cross trike. But as others have said wait until you try it out. It can be very useful. Reverse kits, if available, are around 1-2k on eBay and around the net. If you want the instructions let me know and I'll be happy to send them to you. Good luck and enjoy your new yo you Vision!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Love mine! use it about 60-70% of the time. My friends over 6' on their Ultras get real jealous when they see me use it. Makes it a lot easier when I ride alone and get into a tough parking spot or narrow uneven terrain and need to turn around. with all the bikes crammed in at Daytona you should have seen the guys fighting with their bikes to get them out of the tight spots. a few times I thought we'd see some domino effects.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts