Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm blacking out my '12 CCT and found that the heat shields at the header connection don't appear to be removable. I could get the shields just before slip-on point off; they are held on with screw clamps.

Can someone let me know how I should go about ceramic coating the shields if I can't get them off?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
they have crimp type hose clamps dont they? if so dremel/die grinder and cut the clamp and use hose clamps to reinstall

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They ARE connected via some kind of clamp, but I can't tell if there is anything inside the heat shield which I could use to reattach it after I cut off those clamps.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
there is a little tab in there that the clamp goes through, so yes cut the band and use hose clamps to put back on

·
13,262 Posts
yes there are slots on the inside of the heat shield to slid a hose clamp threw. You can get stainless hose clamps at hardware store cheaper then auto store.
Use a side cutters to cut off the old ones if you have no power grinder

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's good to know. They are so tight on the pipe that I was afraid they were soldered onto the heat shield.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Success! My Dremel was not working to my satisfaction, so I start chiseling at the clamp crimps. All but two of them snapped without too much beating. I gave the Dremel another try and the last two gave way. Seven 1 3/4 x 3/8" hose clamps and they're ready for reassembly once they get ceramic coated.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
cool! im getting mine done soon also, just havent decided on the approach yet

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just blacked mine out too and those clamps suck. I cut mine off with a pair of end cutting nippers then just used regular hose clamps.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I just blacked mine out too and those clamps suck. I cut mine off with a pair of end cutting nippers then just used regular hose clamps.

what method did you use to black out the shields?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just dropped mine off at the powdercoater. Since they get really hot they need to be ceramic coated.

·
Registered
236 Posts
what method did you use to black out the shields?
Right now I'm using header paint but I'm going to have them coated, just not sure where to have it done. I've read so many mixed reviews about powder coating and even ceramic coating. Until I find someone local that can coat them and insure it's going to last I'll just do it my self and touch it up if I have too.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Here's an idea. Has anyone with a CrossCountry wrapped their headers with fiberglass? I bought a roll of blue fiberglass wrap when I was considering wrapping mine, and I may yet do this some day. Pros? Cons?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i had wrap on my truck(rusted out my headers) and my chopper, every time it got wet it stunk like something died, i wont do it again

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
i had wrap on my truck(rusted out my headers) and my chopper, every time it got wet it stunk like something died, i wont do it again
Good enough for me.
Anyone wanna buy a 100' roll of blue exhaust wrap?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
some say they dont have the stink problem, but the stuff i used was terrible, and it started out black and was gray when i pulled it off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts