Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Let's hope that our next president is the kind who will clean house on the EPA as well as other departments that deserve it.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
There have been some legislators who are trying to get the ethanol mandate repealed. I wish them luck. There is not one benefit to having ethanol in our fuels, except to the farmers, producers and transporters involved in this scam.

·
13,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VCC14

where did you come up with that statement

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
if you build properly for it it can make more power, but its garbage and i wish it would go away altogether!

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
You can make more power from it
Relative to your everyday vehicles, your answer is wrong. Ethanol has less BTUs (think of it as energy) than gasoline by 1/3. That's why our cars get 15% lower mpg on E10. So I stand by my previous statement.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
VCC14

where did you come up with that statement
Ethanol has a higher octane, so you can run more compression or boost with it. There's actually a lot of people who race with e-85, because its cheaper than race fuel, and it can make the same or even more power. To do this, you have to run bigger injectors

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Ethanol has a higher octane, so you can run more compression or boost with it. There's actually a lot of people who race with e-85, because its cheaper than race fuel, and it can make the same or even more power. To do this, you have to run bigger injectors
That was the point in post #7. It takes a "BUILT" engine to run better on ethanol. 9.999999999% of the US vehicles on the road have stock engines and lose power and mileage on ethanol diluted fuel.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

i do believe you can get more out of race fuel then garbage, oh i mean corn.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
There is not one benefit to having ethanol in our fuels,
Another thing is it kind of replaced mtbe in gas. Mtbe replaced lead. You probably whined when they took lead out of the gas. Ethanol has some positives, but it also has some negatives. It's just like everything else in life, nothings perfect.

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
Ethanol is crap.
Methanol on the other hand in a very high compression engine,
and/or forced induction will work.
It will consume twice as much and be a cranky beast as well.
I know guys who run dragsters on the stuff, works even better with a dash of nitro in it!
Don't ever let a car or bike on E10 E15 or E85 sit for a while and if you do then be prepared to strip down and clean the entire fuel system,
Ive seen the results of E85 on a pair of 4 barrell Holleys on a supercharged 454 Chev, what a mess inside the carbs!

Reactions: SubDude

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
2010 Ford F150......320 hp @ 5,200 rpm* /310 [email protected] 5,000
5.4L 3-VALVE V8 FFV engine with the 6-speed auto gets up to 320 hp, and twists out 390 lb.-ft. of torque.1 This arrangement gives you best-in-class towing capability of up to 11,300 lbs. The 5.4L is also Flex Fuel (FFV) capable, so you can run it on E85 (85% ethanol/ 15% gasoline), straight gas or any blend of the two.

Want to add power to Ford's all-new 5.0-liter V-8 for the 2011 F-150 without making a single hardware or software change? Just burn E85 ethanol fuel.

The 5.0 is rated at 360 horsepower (at 5,500 rpm) and 380 pounds-feet of torque (at 4,250 rpm) running on regular unleaded gasoline. It's positioned as the midrange, high-volume engine choice for the F-150, below the more powerful 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 (365 hp and 420 pounds-feet of torque) and conventional large-displacement 6.2-liter V-8 (411 hp and 434 pounds-feet of torque).

But the 5.0 is also flex-fuel capable. Flexible-fuel vehicles are designed to run on gasoline or a blend of up to 85 percent ethanol (E85).

Burning E85 fuel boosts 5.0 engine power to 375 hp and 390 pounds-feet of torque, said Mike Harrison, Ford's program manager for V-8 engines.

Ethanol has a higher octane and heat-of-vaporization point than gasoline, meaning it combusts at a higher temperature and with greater force (higher compression) than gasoline, while also having a greater capacity to cool the fuel/air mix in the cylinder before combustion. This inherent efficiency is what enables the 5.0 to produce more power while burning E85 instead of regular unleaded fuel.

There's a trade-off, though. Even though E85 combusts with greater force, it has less energy per gallon than regular unleaded gasoline, so fuel economy is worse when burning E85...:)

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Another thing is it kind of replaced mtbe in gas. Mtbe replaced lead. You probably whined when they took lead out of the gas. Ethanol has some positives, but it also has some negatives. It's just like everything else in life, nothings perfect.
Mtbe is baaad cancer causing stuff and eventually got outlawed after people got sick--maybe the cause of my cancer, who knows. I can't think of any positives, so if there are any, would you be so kind to list them?

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
People like to use ethanol, because its cheaper and easier to get. Maybe you should do some reading about it.
Since you are very secretive about where you live (no profile or signature) you must be one of those farmers who are paid by us taxpayers to grow the crap corn that's turned into ethanol by producers also supported by us taxpayers. Take away those subsidies and ethanol will be very expensive, so cheap it ain't. And don't think it saves energy either--it uses more energy and CO2 than it saves. Like I said, it only benefits the growers and producers and no one else. Well, maybe the farm state politicians that support that scam to get votes and a fatter retirement.

·
13,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What makes me mad is not one of the bike companies are doing anything to fight this and there not even trying to build a motor that will run that **** E85.
One day out of knoware are motors will start to die from E85 and will have to buy a new bike and in time it will die.
E85 will be here forever or till all transportation is powered by batteries

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Since you are very secretive about where you live (no profile or signature) you must be one of those farmers who are paid by us taxpayers to grow the crap corn that's turned into ethanol by producers also supported by us taxpayers. Take away those subsidies and ethanol will be very expensive, so cheap it ain't. And don't think it saves energy either--it uses more energy and CO2 than it saves. Like I said, it only benefits the growers and producers and no one else. Well, maybe the farm state politicians that support that scam to get votes and a fatter retirement.
No, I'm not a farmer, but you should know that a lot of farmers are not rich from growing crops. Didnt you have cancer? To pay for treatment was supported by a lot of other people wasn't it? You should do some research on ethanol. Yes, it has some negatives, but there still is positives

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
What makes me mad is not one of the bike companies are doing anything to fight this and there not even trying to build a motor that will run that **** E85.
One day out of knoware are motors will start to die from E85 and will have to buy a new bike and in time it will die.
E85 will be here forever or till all transportation is powered by batteries
Nobody is forcing you to buy e15 or e85. You act like they will just swap everything over to e85. Why do you think motors are going to die from e85. They can be tuned to run off it. If they ever make an engine that is solely designed to run of e85, I think you'll see some good performance out of smaller engines.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts