Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the forum members have any recommendations for rental trailers. I would like a trailer with a front tire chock. I looked at U-Haul's motorcycle trailer and there is no way I would be able to get my XC up that short ramp, which makes the angle high. All the low bed trailers I looked up on-line are only for sale, not rental. Thanks for any information that you can share.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Do the forum members have any recommendations for rental trailers. I would like a trailer with a front tire chock. I looked at U-Haul's motorcycle trailer and there is no way I would be able to get my XC up that short ramp, which makes the angle high. All the low bed trailers I looked up on-line are only for sale, not rental. Thanks for any information that you can share.
I think youll find motorcycle trailers are generally all for sale. I would not use one of those U HAUL ones anyway. I have a trailer that I have a removable whell chock so i can use it for mulch, moving ht kids out of the house.. etc.

Where are you planning on trailering it? is it one way ?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
No real advice here on where to rent a good bike trailer, had the same luck you are having. I ended up building my own trailer.

On loading with a short ramp. Back the trailer up to a steep driveway with the bike pre positioned further up the driveway than the ramp will be. This makes the ramp angle much less. Then roll the bike down the driveway on to the ramp and into the trailer. Same with finding a gentle ditch to back the wheels of the trailer into which then makes the angle of the ramp less steep.

·
13,172 Posts
take a couple 1 foot short length of 2x4's and put under the ramp lip. This will help preventing the voltage regulator from hitting.

Any of you that take your bike to a dealer or have a ramp with a lowered bike.
Always tell them to put a board under the ramp lip so you don't bottom out or hit the regulator

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
The one time a needed a trailer for a short time, I bought one and then sold it when I was done with it. I don't about where you live, but where I live they almost pay you to take their used trailer as they are a flooded market.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Get a 8 ft 2 x 6 and a 6 ft 2 x 6 (pressure treated Doug Fir). Screw the six footer to the bottom of the eight footer for added strength.

Lower the ramp on the U-Haul . . . lay the eight foot board on the ramp . . . part way (distance to be determined) down from the hinge point. Find a 4 x 6 block and put under the new ramp board amidships for added support. You should clear the hinge point (verify before committing). Raise the lower end of the ramp board with a 2 x 4 as needed to flatten the degree of slope.

Get a rolling start and go for it. Don't chicken out and stop before you cross the hinge point . . . your feet won't touch the ground - and you will tip over (!!!).

Roll off the same way. Get two more 2 x 6 boards if you need a place to put a foot down in the process of going up or down.

Have done it a time or three with my Valkyrie on my own trailer with four foot ramp.

Yrmv.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The trailer is actually for a friend of mine. It will be used to take her bike to Kevin X for maintenance service and performance enhancements. She attempted to drive her XC up the ramp of a U-haul trailer she rented and dumped her bike. It is now at the painter. I appreciate all the advice. Unfortunately, there are no steep driveways in Florida where we live. I saw a utility trailer yesterday for lawn mowers that could work because the trailer portion was low to the ground. That might be an avenue to explore.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The trailer is actually for a friend of mine. It will be used to take her bike to Kevin X for maintenance service and performance enhancements. She attempted to drive her XC up the ramp of a U-haul trailer she rented and dumped her bike. It is now at the painter. I appreciate all the advice. Unfortunately, there are no steep driveways in Florida where we live. I saw a utility trailer yesterday for lawn mowers that could work because the trailer portion was low to the ground. That might be an avenue to explore.
If you only need the trailer occasionally, consider going on craigslist and looking for a used longer motorcycle ramp for sale and renting a Uhaul trailer when you need it. Measure a Uhaul trailer for height. Then use this calculator to figure out what ramp you need to go with it. Motorcycle Ramp Calculator | DiscountRamps.com Then start looking for a used one.

Be sure the ramp you get is one designed for a motorcycle, not a atv and is wide enough one you or your friend can put their feet down and ease the bike on, if they aren't comfortable with the loading process.

The difference in the ramps is that a motorcycle ramp is designed to support it's rated weight in the center, a Atv or garden tractor ramp is designed to support it's rated rate when it is evenly distributed on both sides. Single track VS dual track.

I use one of these on my trailer. I built my trailer purposely low with a drop axle.https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Ramp-ft-USA-Motorcycles/dp/B002LYTHUM/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1498648718&sr=8-40&keywords=motorcycle+ramp It is a good example of a motorcycle specific wide ramp.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Do an internet search for "motorcycle trailer tilt". Plenty of examples so you know what you are looking for.

Add "florida" to the end of it and you still get lots.

Even one called Tropic Trailer that has rentals.

$50.00

The web is your friend.
:grin

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I have used the uhaul motorcycle trailer. Loaded a cross country on it with no issues at all. It's a little bouncy so make sure you're strapped down good. Mine slid over a bit and had to stop and reset it. Fresno to Phoenix. No real issues.

As to what Ric said I've done that a couple times. Bought a trailer used it and sold it. Usually broke even. One time I made $400.

·
Registered
426 Posts
When I used a Uhaul trailer I let some air out of the trailer tires to help it not bounce so much. My bike was no where close to the load limiit so I felt comfortable lowering the pressure. I also ran a strap over the seat to help keep it planted.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I see you're in Sarasota. Is that where the bike is? If so, it's only a few hours up to High Springs, where KevinX is. Or is the bike not running right? Really, it's not a bad ride. I've done the ride from Venice to Gainesville many, many times.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Maybe he fears that if he rides from Sarasota to High Springs he'll get altitude sickness. :)

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
It's hard to get altitude sickness anywhere in Florida. According to one website I found, elevation is 69 feet in High Springs.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
It's hard to get altitude sickness anywhere in Florida. According to one website I found, elevation is 69 feet in High Springs.
In Florida, that's nose bleed country.:grin

·
13,172 Posts
When I used a Uhaul trailer I let some air out of the trailer tires to help it not bounce so much. My bike was no where close to the load limiit so I felt comfortable lowering the pressure. I also ran a strap over the seat to help keep it planted.
don't run a strap over the seat.
Run two starts each side off the bottom triple tree "forcing" the wheel forward into the wheel chock. why 4 total you never know when one will break.
Run one strap on each side of the rear end so it doesn't vibrate sideways. Yes it will vibrate sideways cause of the harmonics of the trailering

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
don't run a strap over the seat.
Run two starts each side off the bottom triple tree "forcing" the wheel forward into the wheel chock. why 4 total you never know when one will break.
Run one strap on each side of the rear end so it doesn't vibrate sideways. Yes it will vibrate sideways cause of the harmonics of the trailering
I run my straps over the seat. I put a thick moving blanket there and I use a soft strap from one passenger peg over the seat and pulling towards the from. I do the same with the other side. so it is a criss cross effect. I use a Wheekdock chock that is removable and i make sure i don't compress the front forks!. I then just anhor the back to prevent side to side back end moving. I have hit some pretty good bumps and my bike doesn't budge.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're all right, there's no altitude down her in FL. Just motorcycle rider eating gators. HA! I actually spend quite a bit of time in High Springs and that N FL area as I cave dive. The trailer is not for me. It is for for a friend of mine that doesn't like to get wet. Frankly, I don't blame her as FL summer storms can be a bit intense. When I got all my performance mods and service I rode to Kevin's Shop but the bike needed to sit and cool with fans for proper Dyno Tuning which is no big deal. Thanks again for all your fun comments and advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have also used the Uhaul trailer several times and loading and unloading went fine. As mentioned they are a little bouncy so strap down good!

Teal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Used a U-Haul twice, hardest thing about loading was getting stopped once aboard.:eek

1 - 20 of 31 Posts