Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Does anyone know anywhere that does custom work for making a shifter rod? Long story short, one of the mounting bolts broke off inside my current shift rod so I need to replace it. I can only really find the few listed on JPcycles, but was hoping someone knew a custom shop that made them.
Thank in advance!

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I'm puzzled. So you are saying the bolt that goes through one of the Heim joints broke? Why does the rod need to be replaced and not just the bolt? Can you draw a clearer picture for us, and/or post a photo or two? We want to help, but need more info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm puzzled. So you are saying the bolt that goes through one of the Heim joints broke? Why does the rod need to be replaced and not just the bolt? Can you draw a clearer picture for us, and/or post a photo or two? We want to help, but need more info.
Maybe this will help clarify. Below is what was my shift rod / shift linkage. The bolt snapped off inside the thread of the linkage and I cannot extract it. I tried and my extractor broke, so a new one is now called for.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If you just need the linkage you can usually find on eBay or Facebook groups. The solid fancy kind or the stock style.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Maybe this will help clarify. Below is what was my shift rod / shift linkage. The bolt snapped off inside the thread of the linkage and I cannot extract it. I tried and my extractor broke, so a new one is now called for.
That was made by Will Molino in Florida. Here is his website if you want to contact him. He can definitely make you anything you want unless something changed that I don't know about.

https://www.cycleopsusa.com/

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Witchdoctors has them. I believe they have some in their "make an offer" closeout section as well.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
custom linkage

I made my new linkage out of all thread(the strong kind) adjustable nut and two heim joints. It works, and it was not a $100. It's not chrome and some consider it ugly, but I do not care. I am called ugly but I go to work almost every day, ha,ha.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Very clever of you Speedblue. To pretty it up, you can cut a length of rubber tubing equal to the exposed threads, cut a slit along the length and slip it over the threads. Or don't slit it and remove one of the Heim joints and slide it on. Or use aluminum tubing. No more ugly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was made by Will Molino in Florida. Here is his website if you want to contact him. He can definitely make you anything you want unless something changed that I don't know about.

https://www.cycleopsusa.com/
Thank You, I will get in touch with him and see what he has! I haven't been able to find a direct replacement for mine or anything that really strikes my eye.

I appreciate everyones recommendations.

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
I see cheap-ass HD shift rods .... if the hole is the same size it will fit ... Thats how i would do it, no way i gonna pay that much for a shift rod

I needed a steering link on my gokart, so instead of left & right thread i just tapped 2x normal right thread and put that same swivel on, or whatever you call them, cheap as chips and looks exactly same as original , only not left & right thread .... Hi hi

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I made my new linkage out of all thread(the strong kind) adjustable nut and two heim joints. It works, and it was not a $100. It's not chrome and some consider it ugly, but I do not care. I am called ugly but I go to work almost every day, ha,ha.
I really like that idea. I just need to find the size of the eye on each end.

Been wanting to experiment with the rear shifter position but my rod is too long.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
I really like that idea. I just need to find the size of the eye on each end.

Been wanting to experiment with the rear shifter position but my rod is too long.
Just move it 1 tooth and it will be short enough ...

I moved it 1 tooth coz it was to short ... It worked perfect

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts

Left turning drillbit

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
That's what I was thinking Andre. Aren't the threads reversed on one end?
Yup so 1 side a right turning drill to get the left out
And one side a left turning drill to get the right out

If you would damage the threads, no worry, just go from M6 left & right thread to 2 x M8 right thread .... It is cheaper that way ... Once you have the right length you never need to a just

Sent from my i7U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
But now an extractor is broken off in the middle of the portion of the bolt that needs to be drilled out. Trying to drill out through a hardened steel extractor might make for difficult work.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
But now an extractor is broken off in the middle of the portion of the bolt that needs to be drilled out. Trying to drill out through a hardened steel extractor might make for difficult work.
Ahhhhhh i see, sorry i did not read that part, only 1 option left

Automatic centerpunch if that fails you can always hacksaw cut-off 5 milimeter of the end from shift-rod and NOT cut the bolt, then remove that 5 mm and you have a 5 mm bolt sticking out .....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
554 Posts
JB Weld might give you enough hold to back it out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts