Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were installing the flip shield on the XC the other day. I had looked at the torque spec and misread it, and as a result a couple of the screw heads rounded and they are to tight. I am afraid if I don't fix it I may crack the shield. Any ideas where I can get the new hardware other than ordering it thru a dealer?? The instructions say not to use the stuff off the short shield, I think they are to short.
I know, dumb move. When I was setting the torque wrench I kinda thought 34 lbs seemed to be a "little much"
Thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
What did it say 3-4 lbs?

The windscreen bolts are made specifically for the windscreen. Unless the type of windscreen you have takes a different type of bolts.
What windscreen do you have?
If a allen will not loosen them then you may need to cut a straight line in the center and use a straight end screw drive or ease out.
It is rather easy to use a wrong allen, sae/metric, each will fit but be slightly lose

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The instructions said 36 in.lbs, not 36 lbs as I thought..big mistake.
The windshield is the Victory Flip windshield.

The hardware that I messed up are four M6x16 mm buttonhead screws, they take a 4mm allen wrench and they are shouldered to fit thru the hole in the shield and a bushing part that compresses against a rubber washer that you stick to the shield before putting in the screw.

I am pretty sure I can get them out, they will be trash at that point. I'm thinking I can get the button head screws at ACE Hardware or another good hardware store. The hard part is Victory supplies the screws with a locktite on them, red. Once they are installed, they are tight.

Either of your suggestions may work, trick is not to mess up the bushings. Never had a great deal of success with easy outs. Maybe if I mess up the bushings I can dummy them up so you wouldn't notice.

Thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
They are not just button head screws, there is a shoulder that goes through the windscreen and bottoms. When I did mine I use a metal magnetic tray so I would not misplace or lose the screws. All because of the shape. Victory uses odd fasteners in some cases. When you get them out look at them closely and you will see what I am talking about.

If you do by chance find them let us know. Some of the allens can strip kinda easy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took your advice, used a Dremmel with a cutting wheel and turned the allens to slotted screws. Took a bit but I got them out with no damage to the shouldered insert. Trick is cut the slot even as deep as you can then apply lots of pressure down with a wide blade screwdriver. I ground down a nice wide one to fit the slot. Maybe I can find the proper size metric screw in a phillips at the hardware store.

The slot that the airtool cutting blade would cut would have been to wide in case anyone is wondering.
Thanks for the tip...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the same issue. I ended up using vice-grips to carefully remove the bolt without damaging the shoulders or the windshield.

To dress things up, I then polished the shoulders to a mirror-chrome finish (using 1000 and 2000 grit wet sandpaper) and used stainless-steel metric philips screws that I bought from Ace Hardware. It came out looking great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts