Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help next weekend I'm planning on replacing the clutch cable on 2011 Vegas 8 ball am I gonna have to take the gas tank off to run the cable
What is the easiest way to do it they are a couple nuts that is hard to get to

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently replaced the clutch cable on my 2009 Vegas and the WitchDoctor video helped a lot. I had to remove the tank. I replaced the OEM one with the Barnett cable 101-85-10008. While I had the tank off, I also routed a powerlet port to the handlebar.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally replaced the clutch cable on my girlfriend Vegas and it was aggravated as hell to do if it brakes again I think I'll go to Lowe's and get a cable and cable stops to fix it as a few had suggested
Anyway got on and she finally rode it Sunday and all is good the clutch wasn't slipping so that is a relief that I won't have to change the clutches

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Just fitted a Barnett plus 6" to my Vegas, the price was right and the extra length fits my Burleigh Bars better, standard one just reached pulled tight and worked ok but with my new Scorpion I wanted the clutch pull as forgiving as possible.
Its fairly easy with the tank off...Just mentally doing it in my head with the tank on...problems.
Firstly to remove the old one because of the adjuster part and curved metal sheathing there's on way to pull it through and out the top..if you could you'd connect the new cable to the old and use the old one to pull it through...not possible.
ok try the other way...pull the old one down and out the bottom but same problem because of the adjuster and curved metal sheathing you cant connect to the old cable and pull it down either.
Stalemate either way.....to put it simply No you can't.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I did was tied a string to the end of the clutch lever side and pulled the cable through then disconnected it at the trans which I kept the tank on then tied the sting to the new cable and pulled it back through the worst part was trying to get the end back through the hole in front

·
Premium Member
6,146 Posts
1 year ago I change for Barney clutch and I lifted the tank only on the seat-side, the tripletree side I just loosen the bolts, but is was super difficult to cut all the cable ty so then I just removed the tank, ya ha ha... Not an easy job but a bit of patience and a few beers and it was finished

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
13,038 Posts
how ever you did it is good. But
every oil change clean and lube to prevent braking

1 - 10 of 10 Posts