Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought a beautiful LED headlight at Daytona Bikeweek to replace the HID (low beam only) light on my 2011 X-country. I happily unscrewed the current light only to discover that the HID has a completely different plug and comes with a ballast. Before I screw something up, am I correct in assuming the ballast needs to be removed and I somehow need to get the original plug back on the low beam wiring? Any advise is appreciated.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
If you have the factory HID headlight, you should also have the 'regular' headlight connections in your fairing wire harness. When you remove the fairing you should be able to find them. Removing just the headlight may not give you access to everything. Yes, the entire headlight assembly, the ballast and the ballast wiring will be removed.

As an aside, the factory HID is a lot better headlight than an LED headlight. The HID spreads a lot of light low and to the sides as well as down the road. The LED has such a focused beam of light as to leave the sides devoid of anything. Hence the 'adaptive' LED headlight which tries to make up for the loss of LED light low and wide. I have a 2012 CCT with the factory HID and would not want to trade it in for any LED system I've ever seen.

When you remove your factory HID headlight and ballast with the wiring, let me know as I may be a candidate for another spare factory HID system. If it's an aftermarket HID system, I'd not be interested in it at all.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I put LED's in my 2014 CCT and all I did was take out the other bulbs and put in the new and it all Pluged in. The LED's did have a bigger base and I had to cut out a brace in back of headlight area so they would work, which took some time, and I had to move some wires around too to make room but I did it and like my LED Headlight. I think I did a post on the installation and showed where I cut out but can't remember cause I'm old. I think this is the picture of what I did. Maybe I helped you a little bit. Hope it works out ok for you and the light you have..

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply Mark, I will remove the fairing and see what I can find, fingers crossed.
Once I remove the HID kit, I'll take a picture of it so you can see if you want it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Olddad, in this case I believe Mark's reply is closer to what I need.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
FWIW....My combo is an LED in the low beam so I don't dazzle oncoming and an HID in the high beam. I'm liking it.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
just take it out

Remove and unplug the HID bulb and ballast. The LED should plug in where the HID was plugged. The plugs are labeled upper and lower. The upper is the low beam.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Remove the fairing and look for a yellow and a black wire H11 connector. It will be along the left side as you face the bike. You might be able find it by following the high beam wires, which are green and black. You can leave the HID stuff alone or remove it, as you wish.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Im using and love Crossroads VICTORY HID systems on both hi and lo beams.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I also have the Victory HID only on high beam now. There is no better light out there. I had it on the low beam which I liked but the ballast went on me so I went back to the Original bulb. You cannot beat the HID at night. Paul from Ottawa did a video comparing the different lights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mission accomplished!
I agree the HID might give more light, but the LED looks much better with the black background! With my limited night riding, I'm good with the LED, but it's a trade off, looks for functionality.
For anyone nervous about removing the fairing (I was), it's much easier than you think and there are some good videos on YouTube showing you how to do it.
Here's a picture of the HID I removed, can't tell if it is original Vic or not. Chattanooga Mark, let me know if you want it. Is there a way to private message on the forum?

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
...As an aside, the factory HID is a lot better headlight than an LED headlight. The HID spreads a lot of light low and to the sides as well as down the road. The LED has such a focused beam of light as to leave the sides devoid of anything. Hence the 'adaptive' LED headlight which tries to make up for the loss of LED light low and wide. I have a 2012 CCT with the factory HID and would not want to trade it in for any LED system I've ever seen...
While an HID light may produce a higher lumen/candle power rating than a given LED, it is the shape of the reflector and the focus of the lens that account for the height and width of the beam. I had installed a single bulb HID on my Softail that operated as both high and low beam. It did so by magnetically moving the bulb backward and forward within the bucket to change the reflective angle, thus producing a high/low beam. On high, it threw a light from shoulder to shoulder on the interstate and high enough to easily illuminate the overhead signs. On low beam, while I lost some of the overhead light spread (as is to be expected with low beam) there was still more than adequate side to side spread. When I purchased my '14 CC, I ordered the newly offered LED as an accessory. I immediately made the change out and was very pleased with the results. I found it (and still do) to be very similar to that of the HID on my Deluxe. My question would be, is there a difference in the reflector and lens or the actual light output, or both from one LED to another offered for Victories?

·
Registered
192 Posts
FWIW....My combo is an LED in the low beam so I don't dazzle oncoming and an HID in the high beam. I'm liking it.
Hey, where did you get such a combo??

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Hey, where did you get such a combo??
The LED came as a pair from the LED Factory Mart, so I have a spare. The HID I bought from a forum member who goes by CrossRoads, if memory serves. I don't know if he's still doing that as a he had his biz up for sale a while back. If he is out of the game, there are other sources for H11 HIDs.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
The link is above you.
I love the Victory HID
Great for spotting furries Downunder!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Good morning Ric.

Isn't there a warm up period when you switch from low to high beam?

I have LED replacement bulbs for both my high and low beams and in my running lights. I think the light is incredible. It always amazes me how the highway signage lights up from these lights at night.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I had H11 LED replacements and they were great. The only problem I had was the huge heat sinks on the back; they kept hitting my wiring. And now that I have a stereo amp in there, I have even less room. The HIDs do have a warm-up period of about 10-20 seconds to get to full brightness. Once it's warmed up, you can shut it off briefly (such as a high beam when you see an oncoming vehicle) and turn it on again and it usually resumes at the same brightness. Any longer and it'll have to warm up again.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had H11 LED replacements and they were great. The only problem I had was the huge heat sinks on the back; they kept hitting my wiring. And now that I have a stereo amp in there, I have even less room. The HIDs do have a warm-up period of about 10-20 seconds to get to full brightness. Once it's warmed up, you can shut it off briefly (such as a high beam when you see an oncoming vehicle) and turn it on again and it usually resumes at the same brightness. Any longer and it'll have to warm up again.
Thanks broggyr.

I just thought it would be a bit scary that few seconds when you first switch from low to high beam on a dark road.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts