Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok This is a little weird, but I had mentioned before I was having decel popping on this new to me 2014 XC. Yesterday I changed my plugs to the NGK DCPR6EIX Iridium just as general maintenance to the XC and now the decel popping seems to be gone.
Now the old plugs were way out on the gap at 45 thousands and I gapped the new plugs at 33. So I don't know if the decel popping was from the plugs being old or too big of gap, or both. All I know is it was totally unexpected to get this result.
The old plugs look good and tan so I know the burn was clean but I have a feeling the big gap was causing this popping. I thought about re-gapping the old plugs to try if it also helps but I'm just being too lazy to do it right now.

Maybe this will help someone having a similar issue.

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
Vic's are gap sensitive. I found that out on my KP a while back. They need to be right or at least within a close tolerance.

Thanks for bringing this up for others who may be having a similar issue. Gapping plugs takes just a few minutes. Be sure to use anti-seize.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ok This is a little weird, but I had mentioned before I was having decel popping on this new to me 2014 XC. Yesterday I changed my plugs to the NGK DCPR6EIX Iridium just as general maintenance to the XC and now the decel popping seems to be gone.
Now the old plugs were way out on the gap at 45 thousands and I gapped the new plugs at 33. So I don't know if the decel popping was from the plugs being old or too big of gap, or both. All I know is it was totally unexpected to get this result.
The old plugs look good and tan so I know the burn was clean but I have a feeling the big gap was causing this popping. I thought about re-gapping the old plugs to try if it also helps but I'm just being too lazy to do it right now.

Maybe this will help someone having a similar issue.
Vic's are gap sensitive. I found that out on my KP a while back. They need to be right or at least within a close tolerance.

Thanks for bringing this up for others who may be having a similar issue. Gapping plugs takes just a few minutes. Be sure to use anti-seize.
you guys made me look. I found the gap setting should be .031 - .035 inchs. Great stuff. Will have to look into my Highball. Thanks! LMYR

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
You know after reading this it made me think about the last time I changed my plugs. It was 2 years ago and I was making a run to Colorado, did 9 mountain passes. My scooter had been popping now and then, but after changing the plugs it hardly ever does it and going down mountain passes is a prime time for popping exhaust. So you maybe on to something here. thumb up

·
Registered
694 Posts
I've had my Iridium plugs in for 50K miles and still no popping. Planning on changing out the plug wires with aftermarket soon and maybe finally put in new plugs. I'd be interested to see where the gap is at.

·
12,970 Posts
Rylan at the vic shop says changes plugs once a year cause of the heat. Auto stores sell NGK there p/n 3481 that will give you DCPR6E two for $7 bucks.
Rylan all so said iridium will not give you any benefit whats so ever

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rylan at the vic shop says changes plugs once a year cause of the heat. Auto stores sell NGK there p/n 3481 that will give you DCPR6E two for $7 bucks.
Rylan all so said iridium will not give you any benefit whats so ever
I only paid a couple bucks more each for the Iridium plugs but here is some information based on a quick Google search.

Iridium Spark Plugs have some significant advantages over spark plugs made using other metals. They have better performance and more complete combustion than platinum-tipped spark plugs. Iridium has an outstanding longevity, so you won't have to change the spark plug so frequently.
Iridium vs Platinum Spark Plugs — Howrah.org
Iridium vs Platinum Spark Plugs ? Howrah.org

Or this

Iridium Spark Plugs have some significant advantages over spark plugs made using other metals. They have better performance and more complete combustion than platinum-tipped spark plugs.

Iridium has an outstanding longevity, so you won't have to change the spark plug so frequently. Iridium spark plugs are quite consistent and wear-resistant. So, in general, iridium spark plugs allow you to have a lifespan of platinum and performance comparable to copper. Commonly it's not recommended to gap iridium spark plugs, as this metal can be damaged during the process.

Iridium vs Platinum Spark Plugs ? Howrah.org

I think the higher melting point and longevity alone makes up the difference in cost for the iridium plug. I might be wrong but I'll use the iridium.

·
Registered
433 Posts
These NGK Iridium plugs are in Toyota's stock from the factory. They are 120k mile plugs. My new ones from Amazon are gapped at .033 ....our 106's. spec is low as .032. Old ones were 34 and 36

Since we are advancing timing with the timing wheel and other methods. I can assure you a tighter spark plug gap is going to advance your timing. Ill take an Iridium plug over anything else every time. Motorcycles are more sensitive and I don't understand why running a better plug wont make a difference.

I just finally installed a set in mine with the thundervolt wires.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have 50K on my iridium plugs and I'm thinking why change them? Bike runs perfect. Would like to get some aftermarket red plug wires!

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
I have 50K on my iridium plugs and I'm thinking why change them? Bike runs perfect. Would like to get some aftermarket red plug wires!
Like these??

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yes!! I have Red pin stripping that would look good with red wires. Where and how much? How was the install? No issues?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
My 2011 XR popped liked crazy when I switched out the stock pipes for the modified WD versions. Over time the decel pop has pretty much gone away on its own and I have changed the plugs a couple of times. I figured it was the engine breaking in and the pipes getting a little clogged up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Regapped plugs to .032 looks like thats a little tight. Regapping changed decell pop some.
It popps less but at diferent rpm. Going to set them agian.
What were they before you re-gapped them?

·
Registered
33 Posts
.038 approx
Interesting thread. Be interested in what you find a good gap for you. Mileage may vary, etc., however, Momma's XR does some decel popping...

Ride safe,
Smokier.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This morning was the 1st day I was able to really do some riding with the new plugs and gapped at .033 . With the first 2 minutes of riding while the engine was still warming I had a slight pop at shift, but after then the pop was gone. I rode for about 45 minutes with no pop. I'm happily surprised that this took care of this issue.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I’m not so sure guys about the gap being the only culprit to a popping exhaust. Fuel tuners and dynotunes performed properly sometimes cannot tune out all the popping. Even a stock exhaust on a stock motor popped. You just couldn’t hear it. The stock cans muffled all that noise down. Open exhaust known as flow thru mufflers are very difficult to stop popping without the help of a good tune.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts