Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The HardBall has started leaving a polite little puddle underneath it overnight, from a leaking shift shaft seal. Are they easy enough to centre punch and pry out from outside the case while installed, or is it better to remove the primary cover and pop it out? Anyone know the seal dimensions, to save me taking out the verniers? Being lazy there I know.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
The HardBall has started leaving a polite little puddle underneath it overnight, from a leaking shift shaft seal. Are they easy enough to centre punch and pry out from outside the case while installed, or is it better to remove the primary cover and pop it out? Anyone know the seal dimensions, to save me taking out the verniers? Being lazy there I know.
You can probably just push it back in.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
This. Then add a a few washers between the shifter and the seal to keep it in place. It should be fine after that 5 minute repair.

Reactions: RICZ and ObiSteve

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This. Then add a a few washers between the shifter and the seal to keep it in place. It should be fine after that 5 minute repair.
Thanks fellas, I'll give that a try. Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the stacked washers on the outside is it will tend to pull the shift shaft away from the star wheel inside. Some Vics are known to have the E-clip positioned a little too far inside on the shift shaft to keep it seated properly; the part was actually revised since my bike was made (and I replaced it). If your bike's shift shaft is the older style, the 3 copper washers on the outside may cause the shift shaft not to engage the star wheel fully and may cause harder shifting, missed shifts, and premature wear on the shift shaft points.

NOTE: This is "may", "might", "could". Not "definitely will", etc ;)

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Remove the arm from the shift shaft (noting its position) and push the seal in using a deep socket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts