Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting new tires for my 04 vegas and was curious if there is anything else that I should inspect or replace while the tires are off?

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
It's a good time to get a good look at your brake pads. Are you pulling the wheels off yourself then taking them to a shop to change the tires? Have you decided on any particular tire or brand?

On the rear you can take this opportunity to clean the teeth in the wheel pulley and inspect the belt (both sides).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have both tires off and ready to take to the shop tomorrow. I was planning on Avon Cobra tires but really I don't know much about them, it's just what the shop recommended. I'm completely open to suggestions. I would rather a tire that rides good and is on the gripper side. I'm not as concerned with tread life as I ride a lot but not long distances so I don't rack up a ton of miles.
I was also curious if I should get radial or ply for the rear tire?

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Based on the recommendation of my highly experienced Tire Guy, I went to Avon cobras and I have NOT looked back since. They are everything he said they would be for a Heavy Cruiser or Touring bike.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Avon Tires are a good choice is Grip and Handling are the most critical.. Mileage Life is Not so Great, at least wasn't for me and I am pretty easy on Tires ..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will go with the Avon Cobras then as I am not concerned with longevity.
They come in Bias Ply and a Radial for the rear. Which works best for our bike?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
If you haven't already, I would flush your brake fluid, check your pads, and grease your clutch cable ends & lever pivot bushings.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Looks like I am also in the market for new treads. I got back from my most recent trip to a wore out Dunlop Elite 3, with exactly 12,083 miles on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
I went the cheap route this time around for my KP with Shinko's. The front is mounted; I'm just waiting to wear out the back tire a bit more to swap it out.

I can say I like the way the Shinko handles so far but I've only been on one ride with them and barely broke it in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the cobras in bias ply as was recommended to me by the shop. I'm also changing rear brakes and fluid. Belt looks good to me.
Does it matter what type of grease I use on the axle and spacers or will a small amount of white lithium suffice so everything slides in freely?
Let me know how the tires turn out for you, I may try a cheaper tire next time if there's s big difference in price. The cobras set me back $380 with me bringing the wheels in.

·
13,002 Posts
check the underside of the rear fender. Make sure there is no bare wires. Check fender bolts. Just give it a good general look over aspecialie the brake pads

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Diy

buying tyres on-line + self installing can save $$$. my retired friend + former ducati dealer was ailing, so i gave it a shot, not bad once the beads are broken IMO. lots of tips + suggestions on you-tubes. i enjoy DIY its savings + mostly the satisfied feeling knowing i was NOT ripped off!! i do whatever i can + my friend does the rest when he's healthy!!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I have changed one set of motorcycle tires and it was the worst thing ever. Maybe it's the 15" rims or the hard rubber but it took way too much time and work. Be different if I had a tire change machine and I can say those are tempting but it would take a long time for it to pay off when I only need one tire change a year.

I have E4 on rear E3 on front. They are round and roll. Can't ask for much more from a tire.

·
Registered
90 Posts
w
I got the cobras in bias ply as was recommended to me by the shop. I'm also changing rear brakes and fluid. Belt looks good to me.
Does it matter what type of grease I use on the axle and spacers or will a small amount of white lithium suffice so everything slides in freely?
Let me know how the tires turn out for you, I may try a cheaper tire next time if there's s big difference in price. The cobras set me back $380 with me bringing the wheels in.
If you ride hard and handling/grip matter most - stay with Cobras. They're excellent on dry or wet. Once I tried them, I'd never trade them back to hard rubber, even for double mileage!

·
Registered
583 Posts
w

If you ride hard and handling/grip matter most - stay with Cobras. They're excellent on dry or wet. Once I tried them, I'd never trade them back to hard rubber, even for double mileage!
It's a wonderful feeling to trust your tires not to slide out from under you on dry or wet pavement. The Avon's give me that feeling.

It would be nice to get a few thousand more miles out of the tires but I will take the security over the mileage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I paid around $45 for the mounting and balancing of both new tires locally and they priced matched the best I found online. They had them done in 45 min which was nice as well. So far I really like the cobras and while I havent rode it hard at all yet, they ride great and seem really grippy.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Glad to hear you are happy with your choice! Ride on. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts