Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days I got around to installing Kuryakyn's "Rear Transmission Center Cover for Victory" (black, part # 7623), which I bought last month at Americade. Here's the link to Kuryakyn's page for this product: http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/4681/rear-transmission-center-cover

Short Review:

Recommended.

Long Review:

This is fairly easy to install, if a bit tedious. Everything lined up as intended, no problems, and the two pieces -- with mating tabs that are screwed together in the middle -- do a good job of cleaning up the area at the bottom of and to the rear of the back cylinder.

I scanned in the instructions, and put them up as a three-page PDF document on my web site, if you want to see in detail what's involved. The link to that, along with a few more pics and some comments, are in a sub-gallery I created, here: http://www.billanddot.com/Kuryakyn-Transmission-Cover-for-Victory/

I'd give this product a 7 out of 10. I'd have rated it higher but I think it's priced $20 or $30 too high, it should've included black bolts for the black version (which is the one I bought, in order to de-emphasize that area, not bring attention to it), and I was annoyed at the instructions for not stating that the two stock bolts involved require a 5mm hex key (although, in all fairness, they did have a sticker on the Saran wrap that said, "please remove protective film").

BTW, if you get a chance, look at the equivalent area on the big Indians. It's bare, plain, nothing. Polaris cleaned up its act on the Chieftain, et al., in that regard, just as they eliminated the tacked-on nature of the cruise and audio switchgear, etc., when creating the Indians. So your putting on the Kury product is a step in that direction, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Looks good Bill

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
13,043 Posts
Bill
do you think your legs are a little cooler with that plate hold back some of the heat

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill
do you think your legs are a little cooler with that plate hold back some of the heat
I've only ridden on two days since then, and haven't noticed any change in terms of heat. Remember that's it way down near the base of the bike, behind that rear cylinder -- you still have the heat of the jugs, along with the exhaust pipes on the right.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Very nice! I think that really cleans up that area behind the rear jug. The next spare 100 motorcycle bucks I get is already spent, thanks a lot Buddy thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I like it , I'm getting it too . My dealer has them for 99.00 and will give me 20% off , 80.00 ... SOLD !

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jamming: you live in the northeast? If so, have Mags buy one for you -- better deal than I got at Americade, certainly.

All: if you want to see in greater detail what this thing looks (since showing large pics is NOT one of the strengths of this forum's software):

- Click on www.billanddot.com/Kuryakyn-Transmission-Cover-for-Victory/#6 and www.billanddot.com/Kuryakyn-Transmission-Cover-for-Victory/#7

- Click on the icon in the upper right that looks like two super-imposed squares (and when you hover over it, it says "Open Image in New Tab or Window").

- You'll now have the full-size version of a pic; when it finishes loading, in most browsers you just click on it and it will be expanded to full size (at which point you'll have to use the scroll bars to move around the image, unless you have a very high-res monitor).

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Jamming: you live in the northeast? If so, have Mags buy one for you -- better deal than I got at Americade, certainly.
No Bill, I'm just a half mile North of Hell in the summer, otherwise known as Phoenix AZ. :ltr:
Maybe I'll take a ride over to Mesa Victory and whine..its woth a shot to save 10 bucks :p

·
Premium Member
13,311 Posts
Just my opinion which is worth a bag of beans but I think it looks kind of Kuryakynish.

AKA; cheesy. Kury have a few good parts but for the most part they look like wannabe bling to my eye.

To each their own though. If it works for ya; more power to ya.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just my opinion which is worth a bag of beans but I think it looks kind of Kuryakynish.

AKA; cheesy. Kury have a few good parts but for the most part they look like wannabe bling to my eye.

To each their own though. If it works for ya; more power to ya.
I kind of agree with you, but it looks better than it did before, with a bunch of wires and connectors glopped down there.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I guess, coming from Indian to Victory during the "Not in Production" years, that I should be accepting of the new Indians being a lessons learned bike from the Victory design department ala them cleaning up the wiring and the pods on the Chiefs.

I am not.

I kvetched about the ugly automotive "wire it where you want to" design philosophy of the Vic baggers in 2012 when I bought mine and now in 2015 still zero effort from the factory to clean it up. Pity too. It's a nickel and dime issue. Shouldn't require the outlay of a hundred bucks to hide some of it. That is, if your bike is a Vic and not an Indian.

I don't think the solution looks bad. It's just that it's making an excuse for a lazy, cheap design decision that won't change during this model run. Victory won't get that kind of love out of Pop. I am at the point where my bikes are as stock as I can stand and the warts be damned. Let the spider webs and plastic pods and brake reservoirs and whatnot be marketing tools I say. If I dump my cash fixing it for them it just reinforces their lack of commitment to me, the owner.

Bbob, that cover is indeed Kuryakinish. K is right in their sweet spot delivering a customizing option at a premium price that brings little substantive benefit to the machine but covers something up.. Occasionally they surprise me with some doodad that actually is an improvement in how a motorcycle works. This ain't one of those but at least Bill can put a point in the win column with this cover since it does cover a design fail.

·
Premium Member
13,311 Posts
I kind of agree with you, but it looks better than it did before, with a bunch of wires and connectors glopped down there.
Definitely agree with you there. Gotta wonder why, as Pop said, this kind of design flaw isn't addressed as soon as it's noticed by Victory.

As I implied; as long as, you the owner, likes it; who gives a bag of beans what anyone else thinks. As they say; opinions vary and everyone has one. :)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I held this piece in my hand at Laconia , it is a solid piece , its not tin it is heavy gauge steel , seemed like a quality piece , and really looks great in person , get it at 80.00 and you did really good I think . If you run a PCV like I do then you have even more unsightly connections to hide , worth it even more then ... IMHO .

·
Premium Member
13,311 Posts
I held this piece in my hand at Laconia , it is a solid piece , its not tin it is heavy gauge steel , seemed like a quality piece , and really looks great in person , get it at 80.00 and you did really good I think . If you run a PCV like I do then you have even more unsightly connections to hide , worth it even more then ... IMHO .
Interesting. I bet I would like it better in person. I would probably go with black to go along with the engine color there, but again, to each their own. Even Kury doesn't charge $80-$100 for low quality stuff. I wonder if the cover holds the heat in the motor or makes any difference in that respect.

I'm not knocking Kuryakyn as much as it might sound. I just don't care for the style they use much of the time. What they do make is generally quality made stuff I think. I have run a few of their items on my Vic's over the years like their mirrors. They did have a spot of time when their chrome was peeling but they fixed that issue as far as I know. I shouldn't have used the word 'cheesy'. At least until I had more info. Sorry 'bout that Bill.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting. I bet I would like it better in person. I would probably go with black to go along with the engine color there, but again, to each their own. Even Kury doesn't charge $80-$100 for low quality stuff. I wonder if the cover holds the heat in the motor or makes any difference in that respect.

I'm not knocking Kuryakyn as much as it might sound. I just don't care for the style they use much of the time. What they do make is generally quality made stuff I think. I have run a few of their items on my Vic's over the years like their mirrors. They did have a spot of time when their chrome was peeling but they fixed that issue as far as I know. I shouldn't have used the word 'cheesy'. At least until I had more info. Sorry 'bout that Bill.
No offense taken, Bob. And as I say, I see your point and pretty much agree with you.

I went through my bling period from 2000-2007 with my 2000 Valkyrie, and got past that; see http://www.billanddot.com/valkyrie/ . On the XCT, I was trying really hard to add only functional items, and succeeded for about two years. Now, the only non-functional farkles are the aftermarket fork guards -- i.e., the fact that I had them painted by Goody -- and the two levers up front -- which I had powder-coated... and now this Kury cover. That last bit was because that area looked really ugly. As I say, the next time you see a new Indian (except the Scout -- don't know), get your eyes off the fender skirts and look behind that rear jug -- that's how the Cross bikes should've been designed.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I like the part. Hate the price. I'm ordering it though because the mess I have behind my cylinder in that are really does bother me. My buddy (HD rider) and I were sitting around one day admiring each others bikes. Him commenting on the modern look of bike and liking everything he sees on it but that area. I agreed and we both said someone should make a cover for that area. This was last year.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I wonder if the cover holds the heat in the motor or makes any difference in that respect.
Not a chance , IMO . It mounts to the tranny and has a large oval hole where the clutch cable exits ... It is heavy gauge , it may actually "Pull" heat from the motor .

·
Premium Member
13,311 Posts
Not a chance , IMO . It mounts to the tranny and has a large oval hole where the clutch cable exits ... It is heavy gauge , it may actually "Pull" heat from the motor .
Good point. I didn't think of it like that.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts