Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
13,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a new fron tire Metzler on my vision https://www.denniskirk.com/metzeler/front-me-880-130-70hr-18-blackwall-tire.p541424.prd/541424.sku
I rode it for a day and found vibration over 70mph. So that told me the tire needs balancing. I was just testing to see what was to come.
Today I put Ride-on in the tire. http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

#1 hose is to short. Buy new hose or put sealer in before tire goes on bike.
#2 Sealent should be warm. My garage was 50degrees. Wish I would have brought sealent in hose.
#4 Put a good twenty miles on before I ran it up to 100mph smooth as glass.
$14.95 seams worth it so far.

Now if I can remember when I need new tire to drill some holes in tire just to seee how it seals.

·
Premium Member
13,624 Posts
Now if I can remember when I need new tire to drill some holes in tire just to seee how it seals.
Good idea. I'm going to have to remember to do that too. Just 'cause. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Seems very cool but I wonder about the product settling as the bike sits for a couple of days. I guess you would just have to know that it will take time for the tire to balance again. Let us know how it performs. thumb up

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Put a new fron tire Metzler on my vision https://www.denniskirk.com/metzeler/front-me-880-130-70hr-18-blackwall-tire.p541424.prd/541424.sku
I rode it for a day and found vibration over 70mph. So that told me the tire needs balancing. I was just testing to see what was to come.
Today I put Ride-on in the tire. http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

#1 hose is to short. Buy new hose or put sealer in before tire goes on bike.
#2 Sealent should be warm. My garage was 50degrees. Wish I would have brought sealent in hose.
#4 Put a good twenty miles on before I ran it up to 100mph smooth as glass.
$14.95 seams worth it so far.

Great report! Good idea on the hose/house. I have three bottles of it that I just got recently, but have been leery of using it. What interests me, is whether it will "settle" towards the low side of the tire after being parked overnight.... and subsequently need to be cautious while riding the next day to allow it to re-distribute again. Also, did you pull the weights off of your wheels first? Did you use the prescribed 8oz plus 25% extra for balancing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Seems very cool but I wonder about the product settling as the bike sits for a couple of days. I guess you would just have to know that it will take time for the tire to balance again. Let us know how it performs. thumb up
No it doesn't. Go to their web site and view the video. I have Ride-On in both tires and am very pleased with the balancing and peace of mind. cheers

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yea I watched the video and saw the guy run his finger through it after it being inside the tire for a year. That was why I thought it would run. If you guys say it doesn't I will take your word. The reviews that I read were very good. I will be looking forward to getting some and using it in all of my bikes.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yea I watched the video and saw the guy run his finger through it after it being inside the tire for a year. That was why I thought it would run. If you guys say it doesn't I will take your word. The reviews that I read were very good. I will be looking forward to getting some and using it in all of my bikes.
you will feel a little wobble for the first couple miles then it smooths back out and is great!

·
13,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had some left on my fingers and its very sticky.
I'm sure with the wheel going around and around it gets forced to the tire and with heat build up on the inside of the tire it will form a bond to the tire.
I'm happy so far

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
you will feel a little wobble for the first couple miles then it smooths back out and is great!
I was told about the initial wobble, but never experienced it.:)

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
After reading recommendations by others on this forum I put this goop in my new Metzlers about 5K miles ago. Install was easy with tires mounted. Balance is consistently excellent and I haven't had to add air to the tires even once! Luckily, I haven't picked up any hardware from the road so I can't attest to how well it works with punctures. Good investment IMHO. thumb up

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Well, I've had Ride-On in my tires since the first of May, and I'm impressed with the balance. Now that the tires have almost 18k on them, it's time to change. Decided to test the sealant properties of the Ride-On now that the tires/wheels are off of the bike. I took a tiny nail...and hammered it in, then pulled it out. Seemed to seal ok. Just a small visible portion of the Ride-On was visible. Next test, an 1/8" drill bit. Rear tire.... whistling like dixie and losing air. Front tire, same thing. To be fair, the tire has been sitting for a few hours, and it's probably 55 degrees in my garage. I may buy some more, just for the balancing properties, but not to rely on as a sealant.

And yes, I got over 17.5k miles out of my rear E3, and 16.5k out of the first one. The trick, is that I have a TPMS system, and I'm anal retentive about keeping the air pressure at 40-41psi COLD. Folks would be surprised at how much pressure a tire can drop after sitting for a week or two, and with the drop in temps.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
And contrary to the video, it was all over the tire and rim. Had to clean the wheels before mounting the new tires. It is water soluble though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well, I've had Ride-On in my tires since the first of May, and I'm impressed with the balance. Now that the tires have almost 18k on them, it's time to change. Decided to test the sealant properties of the Ride-On now that the tires/wheels are off of the bike. I took a tiny nail...and hammered it in, then pulled it out. Seemed to seal ok. Just a small visible portion of the Ride-On was visible. Next test, an 1/8" drill bit. Rear tire.... whistling like dixie and losing air. Front tire, same thing. To be fair, the tire has been sitting for a few hours, and it's probably 55 degrees in my garage. I may buy some more, just for the balancing properties, but not to rely on as a sealant.

And yes, I got over 17.5k miles out of my rear E3, and 16.5k out of the first one. The trick, is that I have a TPMS system, and I'm anal retentive about keeping the air pressure at 40-41psi COLD. Folks would be surprised at how much pressure a tire can drop after sitting for a week or two, and with the drop in temps.
if you drill the tires though you're taking away the material instead of just puncturing it. not really a fair test.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts

Thats a great question..Around here you can ride thru the winter with some decent days and bundling up a bit, So i wonder as well if the stuff would gather over night and take a bit for it to warm up and re flow to where it wants to be..I can see a pro for dynabeads in this case..Humm?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I am not a fan of those tiny dynabeads. The inside of a tire is too coarse, with ridges, to allow them to roll around freely enough to be effective. I have heard horror stories that they'll position themselves initially, and then due to centrifugal adhesion (for lack of a better term) against the inside of the coarse tire, they stay where they are, in the wrong spot. I would think larger beads, like BBs, or Airsoft pellets would be more effective, as they would roll easier. Personally, I think I'm going to order some Centramatic wheel balanacers here --> http://centramatic.com/Page.aspx?page=Motorcycle Balancers

·
Registered
251 Posts

Don't you have to roll the tire for it to seal? I think it plugs itself when it is moving.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Ride-On doesn't dry or permanently coat the inside your tires, it pools at the bottom after your bike has sat for a while (it redistributes quickly when the tires start rolling). It also doesn't coat the inside of the tires completely, when you're moving you have a 2-3" band around the entire diameter but anything outside that band is not puncture resistant.

Those Centramatic things look interesting but the price is outrageous! They're going to cost damn near what a set of tires (not E3's) will cost on an X bike. If the tires can actually get the increased life the manufacturer states they would pay for themselves after several sets of tires but results will certaintly vary because some people ride their bikes hard while others hardly ride their bikes.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Ride-On doesn't dry or permanently coat the inside your tires, it pools at the bottom after your bike has sat for a while (it redistributes quickly when the tires start rolling). It also doesn't coat the inside of the tires completely, when you're moving you have a 2-3" band around the entire diameter but anything outside that band is not puncture resistant.

Those Centramatic things look interesting but the price is outrageous! They're going to cost damn near what a set of tires (not E3's) will cost on an X bike. If the tires can actually get the increased life the manufacturer states they would pay for themselves after several sets of tires but results will certaintly vary because some people ride their bikes hard while others hardly ride their bikes.
I can tell you that neither my front nor rear tire had the Ride-On concentrated in a 2-3 inch band when we pulled the tires off the rims. The crap was all over the place, in "globules", and quite a mess. Fortunately, it does clean up easily.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts