Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any resale comparisons for Victory vs Indian vs HD?

A bit early for Indians I guess but would be good to know how they hold up.

Anything appreciated thumb up

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hmmm.. guess it depends on the model, year, and location but to just do a little researching for you.... Pricing from Chicago IL USA

Let's take a 2010 HD Fatboy Low
Original MSRP
$16,229
Today trade in $9670
Total lost ~40%

2010 HD Road King Classic
Original MSRP
$17.999
Today trade in $10,800
Total lost~40%

2010 Victory Vegas 8 Ball
Original MSRP
Today trade in $5,430
Total lost ~60%

2010 Victory Vision Tour
Original MSRP
$23,949
Today trade in $9480
Total lost ~60%

So, looks pretty consistent that the Vics lose about 20% more value in 5 years than an HD.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Now, for retail pricing:

2010 HD Fatboy Low
Original MSRP
$16,229
Today retail $13,120
Total lost ~20%

Original MSRP
$17.999
Today retail $14,565
Total lost~20%

Original MSRP
Today retail $7,855
Total lost ~43%

2010 Victory Vision Tour
Original MSRP
$23,949
Today retail in $13,040
Total lost ~46%

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
I look on bikesales dot com is OZ for an idea of what people are asking.
My resale has dived cos I ride my bike and what some people think is a lot of miles drives the value down.
I buy to ride not resell.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If one is inclined to buy a new bike every few years then resale may be of importance,,, or not. However if one was to look at cost of ownership over , say 100k miles, Reliability, initial cost, operating cost, add on's, etc. Facts will probably favor Victory vs HD .

Reactions: OkieHoss

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
If one is inclined to buy a new bike every few years then resale may be of importance,,, or not. However if one was to look at cost of ownership over , say 100k miles, Reliability, initial cost, operating cost, add on's, etc. Facts will probably favor Victory vs HD .
Youre not wrong mate.

Reactions: OkieHoss

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Hmmm.. guess it depends on the model, year, and location but to just do a little researching for you.... Pricing from Chicago IL USA

Let's take a 2010 HD Fatboy Low
Original MSRP
$16,229
Today trade in $9670
Total lost ~40%

Original MSRP
$17.999
Today trade in $10,800
Total lost~40%

Original MSRP
Today trade in $5,430
Total lost ~60%

2010 Victory Vision Tour
Original MSRP
$23,949
Today trade in $9480
Total lost ~60%

So, looks pretty consistent that the Vics lose about 20% more value in 5 years than an HD.
As you said location has a lot to do with it, but I show clean book trade on a 2010 Fat Boy at $8329, and clean trade on a 10 Vegas 8ball at $5944.
I only checked the one comparison, but in bike happy Florida. Where there is a ton of used Harley's available. The resale margin is pretty close

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
A few things you also have to consider.

HD artificially props up the used market by offering more for used bikes when they are traded in. The higher used price they offer supports a higher comparative price for the new and more importantly drives their turnover of new bikes. Try just selling one to a dealer and you'll find you're SOL.

You are talking asking prices. Check any large city used market and HD clearly takes the lead in what's for sale but more importantly, how long they are for sale. I also saw a lot at public auctions. HD owners tell me HD selling prices on the open market are no where near the asking price. Many think they can price them close to the trade-in value. Doesn't work that way. If you want to compare apples to apples it's the used selling price you need. How accurate is NADA Guides?

Victory's are easily 20% more fun to ride than the HD's I've been on. That's only a couple of extra cents per mile.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Doesn't help Victory resale value either that Victory discounts their bikes so low by end of a year which is great for us buyers but terrible for those trying to resell their Vic's....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Every used bike I have ever sold I have never been able to get blue book, regardless of condition and miles on the bike be it Honda, Harley, Suzuki or Yamahas that I have owned. Now on the Vic XCT I know I would never get much for it when the time comes. I'm already at 73,000 miles and I expect by spring to be over 100,000. No one will give much for a bike with that kind of miles on it nor would I.

But I have never purchased a car, truck or motorcycle and considered resale value. I honestly have not idea if that's an important consideration?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
As mentioned, the heavy discounts Polaris runs at the end of the year does not help resale. I got my XR for about 25% off MSRP and so did alot of others on here.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Doesn't help Victory resale value either that Victory discounts their bikes so low by end of a year which is great for us buyers but terrible for those trying to resell their Vic's....

I think this could be their ploy to get more Vic's on the road and out of the show room. They can afford to discount now because they are still trying to build a base. If Victory is still around 20 years from now, the base should be there and I think you would see less of this.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Now, for retail pricing:

2010 HD Fatboy Low
Original MSRP
$16,229
Today retail $13,120
Total lost ~20%

Original MSRP
$17.999
Today retail $14,565
Total lost~20%

Original MSRP
Today retail $7,855
Total lost ~43%

2010 Victory Vision Tour
Original MSRP
$23,949
Today retail in $13,040
Total lost ~46%
Getting retail for any used bike is challenging to say the least...

·
Registered
257 Posts
The plan

Since I ride close to 25K miles a year, I don't really plan to have much value left when I decide to sell it. I plan to ride it for 200K miles or more if it will do it. That makes my cost of ownership .10 cents per mile before gas, tires and maintenance. Another .10 cents per mile for those.

There isn't another bike on the market that is any better that I would consider at this time. Now if Polaris does decide to change the Vision, I may have to re think my plan. :nerd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts