Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few months ago I went down on my scoot, rodes were slick and I was making a left turn and rear wheel went out from under me in due to gravel. Anyways I was fine, the ass of my pants were tore to shreds and my exhaust ate road. I walked away without a scratched and even rode the rest of the way home. So yesterday I got a wild hair and started to try and save my pipes.

[/IMG]

I sanded them all the way down dremeled and smoothed out the exit ports and pushed out the dents I could. With the road rash and dents I couldn't hide I filled or still filling with JB weld, still a work in progress but its come along way. Just thought I would share my progress so far.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
104 Posts
The temp resistance is pretty decent on JB. Are you planning on recoating them or wrapping them? I think the ceramic coating process has a very high temp cure. I'm not sure as to the conductivity of JB for electrostatic powder coating. I'd be tempted to fill pits and dents with some welding wire and then grind/sand/polish down to a coat-able service.

If your just going to use a rattle can High temp paint over the JB, It's a simple inexpensive fix and should look good with a few light coats. Just a few thoughts, before you get deeper into it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The temp resistance is pretty decent on JB. Are you planning on recoating them or wrapping them? I think the ceramic coating process has a very high temp cure. I'm not sure as to the conductivity of JB for electrostatic powder coating. I'd be tempted to fill pits and dents with some welding wire and then grind/sand/polish down to a coat-able service.

If your just going to use a rattle can High temp paint over the JB, It's a simple inexpensive fix and should look good with a few light coats. Just a few thoughts, before you get deeper into it.
JB is good up to 600F, so no powder coat. Just Hi temp VHT, primer, black paint and ceramic coat. I'll let it cure for about a month before I attempt to install. I'm still working on filling in a few trouble spots, and sanding to smooth it all out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you could always shorten the pipes by an inch to eliminate the need for all that refilling.
LMAO yeah I could but that would be way to easy and take all the fun out of the project. These santa rosa pipes flow to well with the bike to do that.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
you could always shorten the pipes by an inch to eliminate the need for all that refilling.
I agree. There would still be a need for touch up work but no need for filler. But hey; sometimes we just gotta do it the hard way just to see how it turns out. Can always cut them later if need be. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts