1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont get too excited!
Polaris aint seen their sins.

My Vegas is due home today!:grin
I just rang and they are detailing it prior to sending the workshop gopher on a special 60 mile trip south to deliver my freshly repaired bike back to me.
Kev the mechanic did metion when he fitted aall the new internal shift mechanisms insude the primary that because my clutch is so friggin heavy with the Barnett spring and pressure plate, that while he had the clutch out for access he popped the cover to check the clutch internals.
Says theres wear on the billet Barnett cover plate which may have been caused by my brutal dragstrip launches.
As we are still waiting on a new primary cover to arrive from the US and the old one is only cosmetically marked, and Im a good loyal Victory owner theyre giving me my bike back to ride till the new primary arrives.
Kev said for me to assess the clutch operation myself and when I bring it back for the new primary he can take action on the clutch if I want him to.
I still have the stock green spring and cover plate here and as the Barnett is ridiculously heavy Im thinking Ill get him to put the clutch back to stock when that time comes.
Ive got a few weeks riding to make up my mind as well as report back on the rest of the repairs.
Im blessed with a great dealership up at Brisbane Victory Indian.
Aussie dealerships are set up different to yours over there in that they are soley Victory Indian...naturally with an Indian bias after the change, which rattled them as much as it rattled us.
Anyway Ill report back on my Vegas with pix of the new paint job etc hopefully later today my time.

Right now but I gotta fire up the grinder and knock my welds back then go over any pinholes again with the MIG.
Was up late last night welding the megaphones to the primary pipes.
Rough!...yeah thats me...
They wont leak:wink
Yesterday I picked up a metre of perforated 2" pipe from an exhaust shop at Tweed Heads, he quoted me $20 against other shops $50 and when I rode the XS over there yesterday it turns out I know Bob as hes a member of our bike club!
Small world hey...
So yesterday I cut the perforated tube to size then stuffed fibreglass into the empty megaphone cans then with a little difficulty forced the 2" tubing down through the guts of it and loctited the 3 allen bolts per can down tight.
Trial fitted for a sound check N
and happy with the note I dragged the Mig over, disconnected the battery and tacked the megaphones to the header pipes before unbolting the pipes to fully weld them.
Ok soon as I send this off its back to the grind and weld then fitup and ride...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Congrats MbX, so happy to hear all went well, can't wait to see the revipainted Vegas of yours.....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Hey MBX, great nooz about your Vic, but inquiring minds would like know what is that light coloured car in the background?

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey MBX, great nooz about your Vic, but inquiring minds would like know what is that light coloured car in the background?
Mopar of course...1966 AP6 Valiant, 225 slant 6 , torqueflite.
Hey they just dropped the Vegas off but forgot the keys!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Look for the keys in the letter box or under the orange dayglow flower pot. :)

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Look for the keys in the letter box or under the orange dayglow flower pot. :)
Good one @RICZ

Remember that crazy bulldog that hit your bike MbX ?

Or the guy testriding that beast of a bike didn't wanna give them keys back

images.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apprentice brought it down in the van....

But forgot the keys....

Gonna express post em to me....

After hes gone I finish welding the XS650exhaust then ring Victory and say Dont post the keys cos I'm gonna ride up and get em.....no patience see.

Wait 2 months so not waiting another bloody day..or more at the mercy of Oz Post...

Rode the 650 up in the heat got the keys ride home in the heat plus lots of traffic...

530pm arrive home and tell Ali to get over here..

Its now 1110pm and we just got back from a big ride including a Thai feed....Man that Victory is something else! Juzt blows me away cruising effortlessy at speeds that leave the Yammy breathless...a walk in the park..

Crack the throttle and we are in Hyperspace drive...nothing comes close....

Gonna put the XS650 on the market tomoz....cant go back..😈

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
awesome man...enjoy and ride safe!!

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If youre wondering why I put my good news in 'tech and performance'
You may have missed this part...

Kev the mechanic did metion when he fitted aall the new internal shift mechanisms insude the primary that because my clutch is so friggin heavy with the Barnett spring and pressure plate, that while he had the clutch out for access he popped the cover to check the clutch internals.
Says theres wear on the billet Barnett cover plate which may have been caused by my brutal dragstrip launches.
As we are still waiting on a new primary cover to arrive from the US and the old one is only cosmetically marked, and Im a good loyal Victory owner theyre giving me my bike back to ride till the new primary arrives.
Kev said for me to assess the clutch operation myself and when I bring it back for the new primary he can take action on the clutch if I want him to.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kev also changed rear brake pads , said they were getting low, I just checked my ecords and Id had the Lyndalls in there for 88,500kms(55,000 miles)
Originals were at 34,000kms so that shows
the Lyndalls pads lasted double the mileage!
There was no charge for the new Victory rear pads.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Glad you got your bike back!

Never really thought the Barnett stuff (plate, spring, discs) made a difference in the feel of the clutch pull on my Gunner. Then again I am known for a gorrrilla like vise grip at times...

How is your cable adjusted? What kind of free play do you have at either end of the cable? Are you still using the Victory lifter rack assembly or did you opt to modify an Indian one??

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad you got your bike back!

Never really thought the Barnett stuff (plate, spring, discs) made a difference in the feel of the clutch pull on my Gunner. Then again I am known for a gorrrilla like vise grip at times...

How is your cable adjusted? What kind of free play do you have at either end of the cable? Are you still using the Victory lifter rack assembly or did you opt to modify an Indian one??
Still using the Victory part.
With a Barnett cable with dry teflon lube
Im crtical about freeplay.
Had the Scorpion in there at first but it was ridiculously heavy so went to the Barnett Heavy Duty diaphragm spring and billet cover plate.
Its that cover plate thats badly worn , though I havent actually seen it, when I asked what wouldve caused the wear he said getting off the line hard at the drags.
Its not a drag bike and my 60 yr old arthritic hands are well and truly over heavy clutches.
Stock Vic clutches will handle 130 hp and Im around 15 short of that so when it goes back in for the new primary cover Ill get Kev to slip the standard green spring and stock cover plate back in.
Im just happy to have my bike back:smile

What does the Indian part actually do or do better?

·
Registered
129 Posts
What does the Indian part actually do or do better?
The Indian part is built a lot stronger but needs to be modified to work in the Victory application. On the other site there was a post where a Victory part failed on a Vision owner that used the (24%) heavier Barnett spring. If I recall correctly they added the modified Indian part as the fix.

Supposedly the 2010 and older Victory bikes had a much more robust / heavy duty assembly and were not prone to failure when a heavier clutch spring was used.

I do not trust the stock set up to hold more than 120 or so. All of the big builders here in the States recommend clutch upgrades once they have a bike cross that threshold. My Gunner is at 121tq right now so I want to go even heavier than the Barnett spring while deleting the judder ring / spring / disc set up.

ETA: look around for the yellow marked clutch spring,. It’s supposed to be lighter than the green marked one and may help lighten the load on your hands.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Indian part is built a lot stronger but needs to be modified to work in the Victory application. On the other site there was a post where a Victory part failed on a Vision owner that used the (24%) heavier Barnett spring. If I recall correctly they added the modified Indian part as the fix.

Supposedly the 2010 and older Victory bikes had a much more robust / heavy duty assembly and were not prone to failure when a heavier clutch spring was used.

I do not trust the stock set up to hold more than 120 or so. All of the big builders here in the States recommend clutch upgrades once they have a bike cross that threshold. My Gunner is at 121tq right now so I want to go even heavier than the Barnett spring while deleting the judder ring / spring / disc set up.

ETA: look around for the yellow marked clutch spring,. It’s supposed to be lighter than the green marked one and may help lighten the load on your hands.
Thanks for that info.
Im on 114 hp/ 124 Tq which the stock setup will handle , specially if I stay off the dragstrip.
Side benefit of using stock with green spring is that it will work with the Ezy clutch which I ran successfully for probably 50000 miles being fastidious about just the right freeplay.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I went for a ride the night I got the Vegas back she was sluggish to turn over but did start.
Went for a real good run to fully charge the battery, yet still its a bit lazy.
Got home cleaned all connections and put the battery charger on but in 5 mins it was showing green!
Next morning put my voltmeter on battery ..showed 12.9 sitting, 12.3 ignition on,.hit the starter and dropped to 8 volts:frown... but started.
Rang my battery supplier and ordered a new battery which will hopefully be in tomorrow.
Got 2 runs on Sunday but even I can only do one!~:angel
My local clubs "over the hill" run...or the Victory Indian run up to the Sunshine Coast to Ricks Diner, that ones big kms with 200 return just to our start point plus another 300-400...last time we did a similar run was around 650kms all up (400 mile roughly)
Depending on which bikes ready for it as well as the weather I'll decide closer to the events.
Hope my battery comes in tomorrow anyway...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sometimes you can have a good battery but have a failing starter. The way to tell a starters future is to check its amp draw when starting. If it crosses the spec then its about to fail you.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sometimes you can have a good battery but have a failing starter. The way to tell a starters future is to check its amp draw when starting. If it crosses the spec then its about to fail you.

Care to give me detailed instructions on how to test it?
Battery is failing under load and dropping to 8 volts on my multimeter the moment it starts to wing the engine over...currently its struggling but is starting but I dont wanna risk getting stuck as its a bitch to clutch start.
Battery is almost 2 yrs old butafter being put into service has sat idle for 9 months after the dog hit me...and just recently for another 2 months.
I like to think its the battery but if you tell me in detail how to test the starter I will.
I bought a multimeter but am an amateur with it
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok just listed the XS650 on gumtree and ebay...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts