Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the reusable oil filter? If so, how well do they work and which seems to be the best? I've seen ones with air cooling fins that claim to help reduce the oil temp. Anyway, any comments would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
I think they are a quality product which should last the lifetime of your Vic which could easily be 200k miles or more.

On the other hand you could buy a lot of filters for the cost of one reusable type filters.

I think the Witchdoctor is having a sale on the K&P type right now for VMC members.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The main selling point for me, is does it really help cool your oil? I've found that if you can reduce the heat of your engine oil, you can help preserve your engine parts. Have you ever seen a v-twin having to roll along in traffic at 10 to 20 with frequent stops? Not a pretty sight.

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
I don't know how much effect any oil cooling device will have at those speeds on an air cooled engine but it sure couldn't hurt to have something besides the main oil cooler radiating the heat out of the oil.

I also think the chrome oil cooler covers look cool but don't help if someone is frequently dealing with slow moving traffic. JMHO

·
12,983 Posts
oil filter

I don't know how much effect any oil cooling device will have at those speeds on an air cooled engine but it sure couldn't hurt to have something besides the main oil cooler radiating the heat out of the oil.

I also think the chrome oil cooler covers look cool but don't help if someone is frequently dealing with slow moving traffic. JMHO
Don't we have oil coolers now? You can buy a fram filter for 7 bucks as apposed to clean fluids for your re usable filter.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
The main selling point for me, is does it really help cool your oil? I've found that if you can reduce the heat of your engine oil, you can help preserve your engine parts. Have you ever seen a v-twin having to roll along in traffic at 10 to 20 with frequent stops? Not a pretty sight.
Our bikes are EFFICIENTLY built bikes. They don't have problems in stop and go and ever parade traffic.

Even though they are air cooled they are also oil cooled. This is the reason why you should use the correct rated oil and filters. When you are in stop and go traffic, air does not factor into the cooling of your engine. So, you Victory engine relies on the oil to cool it.

Personally I know a couple of people that ride in stop and go and that ride in parades in HOT California heat. I've never heard of a problem with heating.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Thanks Diamondrmp....question...How do you go about cleaning them...? (reusable filters) Might sound like a stupid question...but that's me....sometimes not too bright....LOL although I WAS smart enough NOT to buy a Hardly Dangerous and bought a Victory...... 8)

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
There is a filter inside the housing. You unscrew and remove the housing, turn the filter inside the housing and take it out. You then clean it with carb cleaner and let it dry.

Reverse the procedure and install.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all the feedback. The reuseable oil filter seems to be just a personal choice. Does anyone recommend using one? If so, why? And how about the magnetic drain plug? Is there a reason and an advantage to using one of those.
I just want to do everything I can to protect our investment in the best made motorcycle in the world, in my humble opinion.
Again, thanks for all the input. Keep the dirty side down.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Most of the reusable ones (Witch Doctor) have a rare earth magnet in them....the magnet is to catch any loose metal filings or dust before it goes through your motor....and for some of you maybe should clarify the "dirty side down"...Make that the rubber side down....LOL

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
Hehehe ... I was going to say keep the dirty side clean. :)

I like the idea of the reusable one's. Just wish they were a bit less expensive. I do understand the cost of materials and workmanship do make it worth it if you plan on keeping the bike a long time and if the filtering is adequate for the machine.

Seems to me it would be a good idea to get the magnetic drain plug for more than just the magnet. The stock plug is the allen wrench style and could be prone to stripping. It's also easier to get a socket on the magnetic drain plugs. They may even accept the allen wrench as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have always felt it was a small price to pay so that I am not sending oil filters to the landfill. They are also a bit easier to change since they have a nice socket wrench tool to remove and install them.

They look great to boot.

·
12,983 Posts
oil filter

I appreciate all the feedback. The reuseable oil filter seems to be just a personal choice. Does anyone recommend using one? If so, why? And how about the magnetic drain plug? Is there a reason and an advantage to using one of those.
I just want to do everything I can to protect our investment in the best made motorcycle in the world, in my humble opinion.
Again, thanks for all the input. Keep the dirty side down.
I don't think a reusable filter filters as much as a normal filter or should I say traps as much. There is some that sells a magnet drain plug but right now I can't find them I am thinking a auto store might I hope.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Here is the link to the reusable filter I use. Like you said visionjohnny I don't know if it traps more than disposable filters but considering how often oil is changed on my bike (every 2500 miles) in the long run the reusable is cheaper.

Magnetic drain plugs........I have yet to see any Victory engine that has been serviced correctly have anything on the magnet of one.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
Thanks CR. Shipping is kinda high for just this one item but coupled with something else it's a pretty good deal. I decided to try these grip covers to make the shipping cost worth it. I've used Grip Puppies in the past, and these kinda look like them, and love them but I'm always willing to try something I haven't tried before. They may just be the Grip Puppies under a different name.

I'll try to remember to post back in this thread about what I find out about them. With the Goldwing Grip Puppies I had to trim them to fit. It would be really cool if these turned out to be the same thing but made to fit Victory stock grips. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Oil temp

Know what you mean about riding in rush hour traffic. I have a 28 mile commute each way to/from work. Just got my XC in October when it was still in the high 90's here in Phoenix. I have an oil temp dipstick & noticed it would get to 250+ . I am sure since it was breaking in, it may have been a little hot anyway, but after talking to my dealer, he recommends going with full synthetic oil (Amzoil) & says the oil temp will drop 15 degrees. Not trying to start another "infamous" oil thread, just want to pass on my observations. I ride everyday as long as the air temp does not exceed 110. After that, I feel like a burnt french fry by the time I get home. I will be real interested to see how my first summer on an air cooled bike turns out next year!
On a related note: Anyone heard of plastic heat deflectors to bolt under the front of the seat like you see on the HD's? I can see a market for these with Vic's in the summer heat!

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Something to consider with the Magnetic plugs is that they do not sit low with the bottom of the engine like OEM. You hit a speed bump or something in the road it could be pretty bad.

I've seen one that was pretty bad and it had to be drilled out and the drain hole had to be re tapped.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey Jokerman....let me know how your "air cooled" bike runs...then let me know how your Victory runs....Vics are OIL COOLED...... 8)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts