Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend coming home from a friends house got to have some fun. On a street that was not busy I ran into a guy in an old 30's sedan, hot rodded. He wanted to run so at the next stop sign we both got on it from the light. Fun stuff. We both shut it down in a short distance, no high speeds. But I did smoke him, which most bikes can against a car, like I said fun, not promoting this, and it was not a busy street or area(covering my a$$). In all the fun I did notice I hit the rev limit faster than normal. So I tried again down the road in a low gear, sure enough hit it at about 4500 rpm. So figured a couple of things have been wrong with it lately: cruise does not like to work at high speed, figured an adjustment, and my gear indicator has not been working, but the neutral indicator has been. So yes I did look in the service manual. Figured I check out the clutch lever switch. Found it is missing the actuator arm for the micro-switch. Put the meter on it, and yes it is broken. Disconnected the clutch lever switch from the harness, guess what the gear indicator worked. So took it for a test ride, catch being it will only start in neutral with it disconnected. So gear indicator worked with the test ride and the rev limit went back up to the redline. So now I just got to order a new switch from Paulie. Going to email you Paulie on this little switch and maybe a couple of other items. ............. So gear indictor stops working check the simple clutch lever switch first, unplug it if the gear indicator works, you know you may need the switch, but first check it with a VOM. I also had checked the wiring to it, and it was getting voltage at the harness. ..... NOT a cheap little micro-switch, that's why I got to see if Paulie can get it for me. Then if I am real lucky hopefully it fixes my cruise issue also, note cruise does work at the lower speeds around 50-mph. So with the can-bus on these bikes I am going to get the clutch lever switch working correctly before I chase the cruise issue, maybe I will get lucky and it will fix its problem also.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
So did you win or loose ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I had a clutch lever switch go bad a couple years ago on a XCT. I think it was something like $69 for that little thing.

·
Registered
891 Posts
@Speedblue thanks for the write-up and let us know how that works out. I too think as soon as it's fixed and the ECU gets the proper signals regarding what gear you're in it can apply the correct revs for the cruise setting. It's a guess but it makes sense seeing as it's not a mechanical throttle setting. Can't imagine why it would still be working at the lower speeds though.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
If bikes ECU gets any signal of it possibly being in Neutral....the factory rev limiter is set to 4750 rpm. 1-6 is above 5k

·
13,003 Posts
according to my gauge when downshifting from 4th to 3rd it takes a minute to show 3rd. So thanks to your info about switch I'm going to do some checking

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Won! Short race! But fun. Been a lot of bad press in the news here about street racing, accidents and people getting killed. So I figured I better cover my a$$ a bit. Guy had a very cool street rod project going on. I do know old cars pretty descent, but I did not know this one, almost looked like a European model to me. He had a large V8 in it. Gave him the thumbs up after wards.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
new switch

Installed the new clutch lever micro-switch a couple of weekends ago. Forgot about posting, sorry. Well the switch did do two good things: It did fix the gear indicator, and it allows the engine to rev to max rpm, good things. The thing it did not fix is the cruise control. So the cruise will work at lower speeds up to about 75 mph, after that it does not like to stay on. So I will try setting the throttle cables according to the manual, I believe and hope this fixes it. I do miss the cruise, especially on long straight roads. I am less apt to speed as much also, it is easy to creep up way past the speed limit when you keep getting past by those thinking the I-10 is in Germany. So may look at the cruise settings today.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Do you still have the old dead one kicking around?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not sure about my Vic cruise but most MFG's will not let you set the cruise at higher speeds. I dont use it very often and if i do it would be normally 75 or lower. My FJR 1300 will not let it be set past 80.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I can set the cruise on all four my XCT bikes at 90 mph without a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gear display not working and signal auto cancel not working.

Hey all :
I know this is an old thread but wanted to post a possible fix for the gear selector display issue I found. Oh and also a possible fix for the early auto cancelling of the turn signals.

A couple of weeks ago my gear indicator disappeard and only get the three little lines and an " N " for neautral.

Did some digging around and found info about the micro switch under the clutch. I took mine off and noticed it was missing anything that would actually push the little button.
Had to go to my Vic dealer and poke around on other vic bikes to see what was going on. What actually seemed to happen was the little strip of metal that pushes the switch broke off.
Pretty damn sad excuse for a switch, the metal stip is a break just waiting to happen.

Any how with the switch removed I went out for a ride and didn't expect any gear indicators to show at all. But to my surprise when I looked down I had the proper gear showing on the dash. Everything worked fine except for the bike seemed a tad confused as to what it was in for a second. Shifting from 4th to 3rd when slowing down it would show 5 then 6 for a quick second then show 3.

No big issue as it does get the right gear after a second. Saw other posts where people would say their bike did the same blinking other gears before selecting the right one. Might be an indication that micro switch is gone the way of the Do Do bird. =)

Also not having the micro switch plugged in also seemed to pretty much fix my signal auto cancelling issue. My auto signal cancelling would cancel the signal before I would even get to the corner. I'd have to click the signal on once as I started to slow down then click it agian twice when I got to second gear otherwise it would turn it self off before I even got to the corner.
Without the micro switch plugged the signals all worked great. I could put the signal on once slow down through the gears and go around the corner and the signal was still on. And within a few seconds it would auto cancel itself.
First time in like 3 years I've had proper working signals. It was SO cool to ride a normal operating bike with signals. =)

If others are having the signal issue maybe try unplugging that clutch micro swith and see if it helps as mine did.

And no the bike won't start in gear at all with the switch removed. Thought I'd head off the question right away. =)

Anyway sorry about the long post just thought I'd post what I found as it might help someone else. As these old posts is where I got the info I needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
made to break

Yes it is a cheap switch and made to break. Cheap switch put very expensive. I got my new one from Paulie on here from Honda. Next time it happens I may go to the salvage yard. A person could just start their bike in neutral all the time, but that is dangerous if you kill it in gear and just want to start it and get out of the way with it in gear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts