Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah...I know there are other threads. But I like the attention! :ltr:

I have done a temporary install of my RF Amp (replacing my Biketronics Amp and Speakers).

OK...so I did the install. I even ordered the aluminum bracket from VTWIN (and could not use it - more on that later).

I got everything hooked up, but not permanently (wires are not secured, they are only twisted together right now). I had to do some switching of wires to get them in phase...and feel like I have them good now.

My issue is that when I was setting this amp up...I saw where many of you had your gains set at 2-3...at that level, I am having to crank up the volume to 18-20....so I set it at 5 and it is a lot better, but I'm still not getting "oomph" I thought I would get..

HOWEVER, I also have not put the fairing back on, nor have I taken the bike out for a ride. I do have the AVC off right now.

So, am I expecting too much...why can some of you have your volumes at 8-9 and a gain of 2-3 and I have to have a gain 5 and volume set at 15-16?

Thanks for comments about this...

OK...back to the BRACKET I got from VtwinAudio.com. When I got ready to install the bracket, I could not install it because of some sort of electronic component (it had heat fins) that was attached to the RIGHT frame of the fairing. In their instructions, this component does not show.

Bottom line. I have a VTWIN AUDIO bracket that I will be selling for about 1/2 of what I paid for it.

Wally

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
visionjohnny...right now they are 6.5" Biketronics Titan II's...

But tomorrow I am putting in the Alpine SPR-60 speakers and they too are 6.5" speakers.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
You say you have them in phase. How did you check it? It seems that the polarity is off and causing cancellation. There is always a chance the amp is defective.
I am another one of those that has it on 9 with the gain set at 2-3 and have adequate volume even with a FF helmet. On anything higher than 12-13 it is LOUD, and beyond that it is obnoxious!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked like they do on YouTube for phase testing. Plus, I switched them just to see if I could tell a difference...a big difference.

Also...are you talking about listening to an iPod or XM radio or regular radio. The iPod is a little better (maybe 12-14), but with my zumo 665 and XM radio...it's about 15-16.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I don't know how they do it on youtube. Take the positive and negative leads and touch them to a 9V battery and see which way the cone travels. Outward and the polarity is correct. If you are sure this is correct then I can't think of what it may be.
I have my volume set the same on any source, although I normally listen to Pandora through my iPhone5.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Check to see what the hi/lo pass settings are - I have mine on all pass (AP). Also check the freq. setting if using settings other than AP.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Wally,

I'm interested in you Vtwin bracket I f you still have it.
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys..the bracket has been sold. Thanks...I'll make all my connections permanent today and then add the new Alpine speakers.

If this goes well and I like the sound...I may have a Biketronics Amp and 2 Biketronics Titan II speakers I'll get rid of too, because there is nothing wrong with these...except I've heard so much about the RF amp and these speakers. Anyway, it will require a test ride before I make any decision.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I really think you are dealing with more than just the amp. I only listen to my iPod and with that it is really cranked at 18-20 with most songs. It will make a bit of difference with the bass with the fairing back on the bike, but not much with the loudness. So basically, if you always listen to it through the Zumo, then just adjust the amp for that. No big deal if you've got to set it to 5 or 6 if that is what works for your setup. BTW, when I play the FM radio with my setup it isn't as loud as the iPod. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Arkiebiker,
FYI, you just ruined my day, V Twin just shipped my amp tray that you are saying doesn't fit (I have 2012 CCT too). That sucks! So what are you using for mounting the amp? Oh, and I'm sure you already know this, but just in case you don't and I guess it depends on which XM set up you have, but my XM receiver has 3 different volume settings, lo, med and hi and of course the Ipod volume can be increased. Like I said you probably know this.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi ... Thanks guys.
First the good (I think). I have it hooked up and sounding pretty good. My gain is set at 5 for my XM radio and AVC is set to OFF. But now my issue is this...I took a quick ride (its cold here), around the block without a helmet (normally I wear a helmet)...and now for some strange reason, it sounds like MORE sound is coming from my rear speakers...even though I am only amplifying the fronts only. So now I gotta figure that out...but I'll have to do that on a warmer day...IT DOES SOUND BETTER...just not used to getting that much from the back...I did adjust my FADER some and I have it ONE step to the front now...before it was zero.

As for how installed the amp. I ended up "piggy backing" to the radio (with some space in between). It's pretty secure...yes I did use VELCRO, zip ties and one screw. Power was accomplished by direct connection to battery with 10g wire and the ground was also direct to battery with 3ft 10g wire.

Like I said...I'll know more in a few weeks when it starts to get warmer. I guess I should feel lucky...never heard the back speakers before when riding. LOL

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Thanks, but that amp mount not fitting still sucks! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So Rumrcity....have you looked inside your fairing? If you're facing the front of the bike...on the RIGHT SIDE is some sort of electronic module that gets in the way. The pictures that VTWINAudio uses for installation does not SHOW this module. Maybe I'm just an idiot...anyway, I got my amp installed.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
never easy

Haven't removed the fairing yet (awaiting all the parts) but I'm sure your right, cause nothing ever comes easy for me, nothing!. Anything that can go wrong, usually does for me. Absolutely nothing is simple. I saw that aluminum tray and said to self, piece of cake, I should have known better. I knew I would have to move my airhorn that I have mounted in there, but......whatever, another rig job I guess. I just hope everything sounds good when we are done. Thanks again for info and I'm gonna find out what that thing is when I get in there.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like we have the same "skill" level on DIY projects. LOL

Yep...I have an air horn too...was gonna mount it also on the aluminum tray. NOPE. But like I said...it all fits now and everything is working (I think). LOL

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
that thing a ma jig?

Curious, is the finned thing you are talking about have that yellow wire coming from it? I hope the pic attached, LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep...that's it. If you look at their pictures...theirs does not show that part. It's bolted to the fairing frame and then seated in a slot in the bottom. You can take it...but I didn't know what the hell to do with it.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Well, as I said, thanks for ruining my night. I cant wait now to attack this project, knowing full well I will be completely let down from the onset. LOL

·
Registered
790 Posts
I really think you are dealing with more than just the amp. I only listen to my iPod and with that it is really cranked at 18-20 with most songs. It will make a bit of difference with the bass with the fairing back on the bike, but not much with the loudness. So basically, if you always listen to it through the Zumo, then just adjust the amp for that. No big deal if you've got to set it to 5 or 6 if that is what works for your setup. BTW, when I play the FM radio with my setup it isn't as loud as the iPod. Hope this helps.
18-20... serious? Are you using a full face helmet? I can run at 70 mph on the cct with a half helmet with iPod or android phone Set full volume and if I go past 12 I can barely take it unless soft music.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts