Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to Orient Point yesterday and had a wonderful day of riding until I was almost home and got hit by a car pulling out of the CVS drug store in East Patchogue. That ruined a beautiful day for me. It was a hit and run. The guy took off after hitting me with his BMW. I had two witnesses who stayed and gave information to the police. The impact knocked the front license plate off his car and I gave it to the police. They were going to go after him. I don't know what happened with that.

I am fine, I ended up laying in the street but did not get hurt at all. All my safety gear did its job of protecting me from the pavement but my bike, (Dr. Pepper), is banged up in the front end. The front fender and right lower wind deflector are shot and I don't know about the forks and brake roters. Every thing on the front of the bike is knocked way out of adjustment, mirrors, brake and clutch perches, foot pegs etc. The crash bars and saddlebag protective bars did their job of keeping the bike off the pavement. I was able to ride the bike home after pulling the fender away from the tire. Now I have to wait and see what happens with the insurance company.

OH! the tip over switch shut the bike down for me. I just had to turn off the ignition.

Needless to say, I won't be riding for a while.

I am playing phone tag with the officer working on the case today. I am hoping he has some good news for me.

Rich

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I went out to Orient Point yesterday and had a wonderful day of riding until I was almost home and got hit by a car pulling out of the CVS drug store in East Patchogue. That ruined a beautiful day for me. It was a hit and run. The guy took off after hitting me with his BMW. I had two witnesses who stayed and gave information to the police. The impact knocked the front license plate off his car and I gave it to the police. They were going to go after him. I don't know what happened with that.

I am fine, I ended up laying in the street but did not get hurt at all. All my safety gear did its job of protecting me from the pavement but my bike, (Dr. Pepper), is banged up in the front end. The front fender and right lower wind deflector are shot and I don't know about the forks and brake roters. Every thing on the front of the bike is knocked way out of adjustment, mirrors, brake and clutch perches, foot pegs etc. The crash bars and saddlebag protective bars did their job of keeping the bike off the pavement. I was able to ride the bike home after pulling the fender away from the tire. Now I have to wait and see what happens with the insurance company.

OH! the tip over switch shut the bike down for me. I just had to turn off the ignition.

Needless to say, I won't be riding for a while.

I am playing phone tag with the officer working on the case today. I am hoping he has some good news for me.

Rich
Wow,
Glad you are OK. That's the biggie.
Sorry about the bike. That sucks.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Sorry to hear. Good that you came out of it well and hope they catch the POS!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to hear about going down! Good to know that you are ok!

Do you think that the bars/floorboards protected you from injury?

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
So glad you are good to go. It sure pays to dress for the crash and not the ride, cuz I've been there too. When they catch that asshole (yes, BMW drivers have an asshole endorsement) I hope he has insurance. If you are going to work with the claims agents directly, take this piece of advice: Be assertive but polite and take lots of time to settle - months even. Don't threaten to take them to court, they have an army of attorneys waiting to shred you. I hope you took lots of photos at the scene and take photos of your scrapes and bruises. Your bruises will get more colorful with time, take photos then too. They will be your ace in the hole.
Take your bike to your dealer and get an estimate to have them repair it, even if they are not going to do it. The property damage claims agent might come to your home to look at your bike, as mine did, and write a check for the estimate on the spot. I was good with that. Then I did my own repairs and saved a ton of $$.
The personal injury agent is another story, especially since you have no broken bones. Did you hit the pavement hard with any part of your body? If so, get an x-ray and claim that expense. Shoot high for "pain and suffering." I asked for $10K and 5 months later, I settled for $5K, what I was hoping for. The agent only wanted to pay $1500, but dragging it out 5 months and then emailing him one photo of my bruised thigh, stating that this is what a jury will see of a 74 year old (at the time) with over 55 years of riding experience and no crashes, until their insured hit me. And oh, by the way, he's a cancer patient. I got my check immediately. I pulled the sympathy card.
Claims agents are under great pressure to pay you nothing or very little and do it fast, because claims are hitting their desks every day. That's why taking your time works toward your benefit.
Sic that asshole.

·
Premium Member
13,050 Posts
Talk about lucky! Not about the bike getting banged up but the license plate falling off his car and you not getting hurt.

That license plate will cause a world of hurt for that driver. Wanna bet he has already claimed the car was stolen? Did you or any of the witnesses get a good look at him?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow Richard, I'm sure glad to hear you weren't hurt bad. The bike will be fixed good as new and hopefully you and I will once again share a single malt. :smile

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Whouw, hit and run ?? That is just %&+$# stupid ....

You are lucky and healthy that is the most important thing .... Yes please keep this thread updated so we can follow your progress of the "run away" and bike repair .....

So when the bike dropped a tip-over switch stopped your engine ? Is that also described in your manual ? As my manual does not write that
Good safety feature if the newer vics have that ......

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE:

I now have a claim # from the car owners insurance co.. I hope to hear from them today.

I was interviewed by the detective investigating the case yesterday and that went well. He was going to go the the owners home, after leaving my house, to make contact. The first attempt, the day of the crash, no one was home.

A fellow biker suggested that I get the bike to my dealership to get the ball rolling for repairs. The car hit my right fork and I want the front end torn down to check the forks and rotors for alignment. That's the biggie.

I decided to call my agent to see if getting the bike to the dealer is the proper thing to do. No answer, waiting for a call back. I hope he calls soon.

My agent was the one to get me the claim # from the other persons insurance Co..

That's it for now.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
If it were me , and I had his address I would happily stick a knife in 4 of his tires ... Just for being an Asshole . Glad your ok Brother .

·
Registered
156 Posts
If it were me , and I had his address I would happily stick a knife in 4 of his tires ... Just for being an Asshole . Glad your ok Brother .
And do it every week for the next year after he keeps buying new ones!

Seriously though, glad to hear you are going to be ok!

I'm sure you will get your bike back to new condition and fortunetly it was not the beginning of the riding season!

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
More than likely they will do nothing to him he will claim he didn't know he hit anything.

I had a truck sideswipe me in my 4Runner ram both of us into the center divide he had flat tires and a **** load of damage to his truck. He just kept right on going till the tires were gone and the truck was on the rims, only stopped cause the engine blew. He ended up about 5 miles down the highway. I suspect the drivers switched places, someone ran off or they ditched somthing why the hell else would you keep going and destroy your truck.

He said he knew that he hit the divide but didn't know he hit anyone else so he didn't feel the need to stop. No hit and run charges filed??

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
UPDATE:

I now have a claim # from the car owners insurance co.. I hope to hear from them today.

I was interviewed by the detective investigating the case yesterday and that went well. He was going to go the the owners home, after leaving my house, to make contact. The first attempt, the day of the crash, no one was home.

A fellow biker suggested that I get the bike to my dealership to get the ball rolling for repairs. The car hit my right fork and I want the front end torn down to check the forks and rotors for alignment. That's the biggie.

I decided to call my agent to see if getting the bike to the dealer is the proper thing to do. No answer, waiting for a call back. I hope he calls soon.

My agent was the one to get me the claim # from the other persons insurance Co..

That's it for now.
a claim number ??? man i hope that nail that prick. I juist had a near miss about 20 moins ago with a towel head driving a BMW. he flipped me off and i went after him but he took off. BMW drivers seems to thibnk they can do what they want. almost as bad as teenage drivers

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
You need an asshole endorsement to drive a BMW. They are an enthusiasts car bought by people who think they are but aren't. I give BMWs plenty of leeway, too much ego behind the wheel.

·
Premium Member
13,050 Posts
More than likely they will do nothing to him he will claim he didn't know he hit anything.
I don't see how he could claim he didn't know he hit something hard enough to knock the plate off his car.

Never know though. They might just let it go and make a note of it on his record then catch up with him later on another incident. People like that usually keep doing stupid stuff. Ya just gotta hope they nail him before he kills someone.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
UPDATE:

I'd ask them to take off the necessary stuff and take a quick look at the neck for obvious cracks if the front fork is actually bent.

It's cast aluminum. More brittle than the tree. Generally with a casting it is engineered really strong for expected loads but possibly not so much for unexpected loads in an effort to keep the weight down.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts