Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to have my stock Cross Country seat rebuilt & recovered. I have tried the Airhawk cushion & Alaska sheepskin cover, but still get a sore ass on longer rides. Looks like this guy does nice work but caters mostly to the BMW crowd.
Does anyone on the forum know anything about him? Right now, he is running a special, only $375 for a custom rebuild recovered in leather. Looks like a smokin deal to me:

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

Any feedback is appreciated, especially by my "sore ass"!:mad:

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I don't have personal experience but I do know a guy that bought a Hammer with the seat already on it. He says it is absolutely heaven!!

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
The only way you can guarantee getting a saddle that fits you is to go to a customizer with your bike. I just did that this week. He started at 9 am and didn't finish until 7 pm. There's a lot of cutting, fitting, trimming and test riding before the cover goes on. I've gone the other route with Corbin and got a saddle that was worse than the one I was replacing. Only someone working with you there can make it fit right and tell you to never ride with a wallet in your back pocket. Yes, it will cost more, but the saddles I have had done the personal way I can sit on for over 600 miles and still do more in comfort. One size does not fit all. Diamond's friend with the Hammer was very lucky. Who knows, you might luck out too with a mail order one, but I wouldn't chance it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seat

The only way you can guarantee getting a saddle that fits you is to go to a customizer with your bike. I just did that this week. He started at 9 am and didn't finish until 7 pm. There's a lot of cutting, fitting, trimming and test riding before the cover goes on. I've gone the other route with Corbin and got a saddle that was worse than the one I was replacing. Only someone working with you there can make it fit right and tell you to never ride with a wallet in your back pocket. Yes, it will cost more, but the saddles I have had done the personal way I can sit on for over 600 miles and still do more in comfort. One size does not fit all. Diamond's friend with the Hammer was very lucky. Who knows, you might luck out too with a mail order one, but I wouldn't chance it.
I would go that route if I could find seat builder in Phoenix. With Mayer, you send pics with you on the bike & personal info. He rebuilds it & if it's still not right, will adjust it.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I would go that route if I could find seat builder in Phoenix. With Mayer, you send pics with you on the bike & personal info. He rebuilds it & if it's still not right, will adjust it.
I reiterate: Pictures do not tell a saddle maker the whole story. Example: The fellow doing my saddle discovered that my right bun wants to be a bit lower than the left one. He would shave some foam and we'd keep trying until I told him it felt right. I can provide a few other examples where photos would not have been sufficient in order to get a perfect fit, but you get the idea, I hope. To be at his place when he wanted to start at 9 am, I went to that town the day before and stayed overnight at a motel. Maybe there's a customizer in another town within a day's ride of you.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Joker while it is a bit of a ride for you...I would suggest going to Mayer.

Like Ric said pictures just aren't going to do it well enough.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've not had one, but an old riding buddy had a seat from

http://www.day-long.com/

He often said it was the best made - I never rode his bike, so I don't personally know.

Seems to be in the same general location as Rick Mayer, so it may give you another option for comparisons.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mayer seats

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy at Day Long worked for Mayer. The seats look almost identical.
Turns out it was Rick Mayer's dad that sold the rights to the day long saddle. He was not able to compete after that but his son's went in to business after the old man passed away. Lot's of good things said about day long, aka Russell Seats. They work the same as Rick, you send them your seat with pic's & they rebuild it. A very pricy company to deal with.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've heard the Day Long seats were some of the best for long distance riding. I don't really care for the looks though. I almost used Mayer, but didn't want to spend the money, thought I was going to get a new bike soon anyway. Didn't turn out that way, but I am happy with my Freedom Air seat cushion.

http://www.rehabmart.com/product/freedom-air-motorcycle-seat-cushion-17184.html

I think if I were to customize a seat, I too would try and find a local guy who does them. Make sure and get some references first though.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seat pad

I've heard the Day Long seats were some of the best for long distance riding. I don't really care for the looks though. I almost used Mayer, but didn't want to spend the money, thought I was going to get a new bike soon anyway. Didn't turn out that way, but I am happy with my Freedom Air seat cushion.

http://www.rehabmart.com/product/freedom-air-motorcycle-seat-cushion-17184.html

Never heard of that one Batman. I use the Airhawk & it has helped some but no way could I stay on the seat for more than an hour at a stretch. That is why I am trying a seat rebuild.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jokerman, I know of 3 seat guys in the valley, 2 I've used more than a few times and both were good. For $150 they will reshape and recover to your liking, more $ for custom looking stiches and such.

2 of these guys are in n.Phoenix off Bell rd. The most experianced is in Chandler, Don is 79 yrs old and has been doing M/C seats since 1952 and looks more like 65 than 80. PM or email me for dons number, the other 2 advertise on craigslist, I have a bidness card of one of those.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
seats

Jokerman, I know of 3 seat guys in the valley, 2 I've used more than a few times and both were good. For $150 they will reshape and recover to your liking, more $ for custom looking stiches and such.

2 of these guys are in n.Phoenix off Bell rd. The most experianced is in Chandler, Don is 79 yrs old and has been doing M/C seats since 1952 and looks more like 65 than 80. PM or email me for dons number, the other 2 advertise on craigslist, I have a bidness card of one of those.
Too bad I did not hear back sooner. I went ahead & pulled the trigger with Mayer so I could save a couple hundred bucks before 5/1. I will do a follow up post after it is all said & done.
Thanks for the feedback, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts